Most Neutral Amp
Nov 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
I am on the quest to achieve the flattest frequency response I can in a portable setup. I have a Clip+ (Rockboxed) which has a ruler flat response. Soon I am acquiring the Fischer 003 (reference cans). I currently have the PA2V2 made by Gary Ali.

Don't get me wrong; the PA2V2 is an excellent amp. But I am wondering how flat the response really is. If it's flat then I will keep it (I have no idea of telling how it's flat. My own ears aren't accurate enough - yet). 

So what is the most neutral portable amp? I want fidelity in my setup! I read that the Porta Corda MK III is the most neutral. Is this true? (I can't find it anyhow, but will worry about that later).

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 30
Maybe the RSA protector in balanced mode.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 30
The Pico AMPs are neutral and others neutral AMPs brands are like iBasso, Fiio and Nuforce.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 30
http://www.head-fi.org/t/565743/pa2v2-output-impedance#post_7665562

It seems PA2V2 has an output impedance of 3.3ohm, so any headphones that are 32ohm are good to go.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 30
Mind my seemingly incredible stupidity... 

The 003's are 64 ohm cans. But I have read in all kinds of places that the PA2V2 is certainly not flat. Ughhh.... this head-fi stuff is making me nutty.

I just want flat, fidelity, neutrality, 100% truth inmy sound - or at least as close as possible to it. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED? :p

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 30
Some RMAA tests realed that PA2V2 is flat. http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/Echo%20Gina%20-%20PA2V2.htm

003 are not that hard to drive, your clip+ will do a good job. Plus you have PA2V2 already.  But don't listen to someone like me, you can spend your $200 and be very happy.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #11 of 30
... and this means that when playing my 64 ohm FA-003's they will remain flat? I mean, the amp will bring better definition to my FA-003's without screwing up the frequency response or causing problems? 

And yes, I will listen to you ahhahahaha. You have brought me some sanity in my compulsive search for fidelity. I started reading for "ten minutes" two hours ago. This is becoming an addiction. I need an intervention! :p 

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #12 of 30
I felt like that just a few weeks ago deciding what headphones to buy.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FischerAudioFA003.pdf

003's impedance doesn't vary wildly like the notorious mid to high-end Sennies HD series. That's why we hear people say synergy a lot with those headphones, because I think the output impedance is making them "picky"

Head-fiers did report some improvement in 003 with amping. You can certainly sell your PA2V2, buy something else that you think will be best. Perhaps a preassembled O2 from jdslabs.

I haven't been a big fan of colorful words used by head-fiers to describe amps, ever since I was "educated" by you know who. Even RMAA results can be misleading. I now would prefer to stick with products that have been measured by a proper scope instead.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 30
Errr, sorry I don't quite understand if you answered my question *scratches head*. Mind my slowness today. I'm exhausted. 

My main question is: Clip+ (Rockboxed) > PA2V2 > Fischer Audio 003 = flat? fidelity? neutrality? 

and who is you know who? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back