Most Isolating, Least Sucky earphones <$30 USD?
Dec 13, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there! I have a friend in California, who wants an isolating headphone for portable sources. She wants to spend under $30, after shipping, but would consider going all the way up to $45. She isn't willing to do crazy mods on headphones or anything. Form factor isn't an issue; isolation, decent but not necessarily great sound, and decent build quality is. Does anyone have a suggestion? I haven't been keeping up on current canalphones...

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Actually, while I'd also suggest the above, there have been better reviews of the JBL 220 phones that seem to be modeled after the sennheiser/creatives. At $22-25, they're hard to beat.

Awesome isolation is pretty unattainable at these price-ranges, they'll get rid of most ambient frequencies decently, like the rumble of a car engine being only a bit noticeable over music. Otherwise, people talking, kids destroying furniture, etc. should be well-blocked out :)

Dec 13, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, while I'd also suggest the above, there have been better reviews of the JBL 220 phones that seem to be modeled after the sennheiser/creatives. At $22-25, they're hard to beat.

Awesome isolation is pretty unattainable at these price-ranges, they'll get rid of most ambient frequencies decently, like the rumble of a car engine being only a bit noticeable over music. Otherwise, people talking, kids destroying furniture, etc. should be well-blocked out :)

I have owned both the ep-630 and the ref220. The JBL are much better sounding headphones, but they barely isolate at all, including for sure the sound of passing cars. Maybe a few decibels reduction, that's it. Perceived isolation on the ep-630 is ten times greater.

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 12
JVC HA-FX66's or HA-FX33's

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't like how the Marshmallows(FX33) sound, even modded. But with the right tips, they have very good isolation. The ep630 and jbl220 are better sounding but less isolating.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #12 of 12
For IEMs, I'd say the JBL 220's are a steal - meant to be 70+ but selling for 25-30-

For a full-size 'phone, someone was talking about an Ultrasone HFI-550 rebranding by Stagg audio for $35 - I'd imagine it would easily trounce any isolating cans in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back