Most detailed headphones?
Nov 5, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #91 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Can't wait to read that review.
bigsmile_face.gif

Haha right? Do I smell a new FOTM?

The are 50 plus yr old headphones. The first dynamic headphones created. 1937. The newer ones are revised versions. FOTM? Hardly. These are the real deal with certain genres.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #92 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 48's destroy the 701/702 in picking up micro detail and ambience.

Bring them to SF... And I'm gonna let my Pioneer Monitor 10 to bite them first! LOL.
Meanwhile try to find some FR graphs. I will not be surprise to see a big emphasized response around 1-5 kHz.
wink_face.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #93 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The are 50 plus yr old headphones. The first dynamic headphones created. 1937. The newer ones are revised versions. FOTM? Hardly. These are the real deal with certain genres.

my point was that they've only recently been getting serious attention

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #95 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
/me really curious about the DT48e...
tongue.gif

It get some love around Head-Fi the last couple of weeks, and very little earlier on. Hmmm

I first heard about the DT48 in a thread here about the earliest stereo headphones. I thought it was the HD414, but someone pointed to the Beyer site saying that it came out in 1937 and was still in production. Yet no one at Head-Fi ever mentioned them. A little homework showed that back in the 60s, the DT48 was used by early audiophiles and caused something of a sensation. A few searches here turned up one Head-Fi'er who had found a pair years ago, but didn't like them very much. I was still interested, but wasn't going to drop $300 to find out if they might be good for something. So when a pair in the UK turned up earlier this year on eBay, I bid and got them for a little over $60 plus shipping.

I plugged them in and was stunned. They were really good. Lousy with my rock records, but I completely blissed out with jazz, vocals and smaller classical ensembles. I posted a little about them in the Beyer Owners thread but didn't want to get worked up and come across as a lunatic in the "new toy" phase. But the DT48 continued to prove itself and then kool bubba ice, jrosenth and nikongod had similar impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I smell a new FOTM?

Hopefully it won't be a FOTM. I'd like to see the DT48 regarded as a top shelf choice for vocals and acoustic material. Especially piano and female vocals.

How many pieces of audio gear have had such a long, mostly unchanged, lifespan? Off the top of my head, you've got the McIntosh MC275, Quad's ESLs (they've changed a little, but the new ones have loads in common with the ESL-63), the Linn LP12, the Rega RB300, the Denon DL103, and probably a couple others that I've forgotten. Those all have their quirks and critics, but there's a reason they've been in production for decades and loved by many. I think the DT48 is in the same class.

Also, imagine Beyer's suits scratching their heads over a spike in demand for a product they don't advertise and has had steady and predictable sales for 50 years.
icon10.gif
I hope they'll position it more for the audiophile community - I wouldn't mind picking up leather pads and a headband for mine.

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #98 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm...interesting cans....

Was debating another new RS-1, but maybe the DT48 might be a better buy?

Try before you buy, and try the K702 too...
cool.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #99 of 242
is detailed synonymous to accurate?... if thats the case, i will nominate the humble eh-350
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #100 of 242
My AD2000 brings out things that my DT-880 simply did not. Thats something I didn't expect from them.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #101 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I first heard about the DT48 in a thread here about the earliest stereo headphones. I thought it was the HD414, but someone pointed to the Beyer site saying that it came out in 1937 and was still in production. Yet no one at Head-Fi ever mentioned them. A little homework showed that back in the 60s, the DT48 was used by early audiophiles and caused something of a sensation. A few searches here turned up one Head-Fi'er who had found a pair years ago, but didn't like them very much. I was still interested, but wasn't going to drop $300 to find out if they might be good for something. So when a pair in the UK turned up earlier this year on eBay, I bid and got them for a little over $60 plus shipping.

I plugged them in and was stunned. They were really good. Lousy with my rock records, but I completely blissed out with jazz, vocals and smaller classical ensembles. I posted a little about them in the Beyer Owners thread but didn't want to get worked up and come across as a lunatic in the "new toy" phase. But the DT48 continued to prove itself and then kool bubba ice, jrosenth and nikongod had similar impressions.

I see. Thanks a lot for the DT48 history, how you found your pair (with price), and not to forget the short impressions.

I have just started looking over to the "other side". Got the AKG K1000 some 3-4 months back, and have my eyes open for other interesting dynamic headphones. Especially where you may find one which a high performance/price ratio.
I'll keep my eyes open for a DT48e, but with the positive writings around here it will most probably be hard to score a deal like you did.

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #102 of 242
On Tal Wilkenfeld's Transformation, song; The River Of Life my Edition 9's are the only headphones of the ones I own that very clearly let's you hear nasty distortion on the drums. No other headphone in my collection shows the distortion.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #103 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=small]Dear Sir,

I see from your sig you own the AKG K501. How do the DT48's compare to the K501 for vocal clarity, jazz and classical ensembles? I am trying to orient myself with phones that have impressed me in those areas before. I know they won't have the wide soundstage/headstage of the venerable AKG's, but that's not a problem for me.
[/size]

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #104 of 242
I know this question isn't addressed to me but I'll venture my opinion having owned the 501 on multiple occasions, indifferent versions, with different cables.

The dt 48 simply destroys the 501 in terms of clarity and resolution, even in the vaulted 501's midrange. I do love the 501 but it's not even close.

The 501, being open has greater headstage - and to my ears it was a bit more musical

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #105 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this question isn't addressed to me but I'll venture my opinion having owned the 501 on multiple occasions, indifferent versions, with different cables.

The dt 48 simply destroys the 501 in terms of clarity and resolution, even in the vaulted 501's midrange. I do love the 501 but it's not even close.

The 501, being open has greater headstage - and to my ears it was a bit more musical

It's a lot like that. The K-501 is tonally neutral and has a wide, open soundstage with plenty of air. The DT48 has the same tonal balance in a more closed in soundstage with all the microdetail. The same kind of detail you get from ESLs, ribbons, AMTs, and actually sitting in an orchestra as a player. The K-501 is more like having a great seat in the audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back