Most detailed, accurate, clear, neutral IEMs
Apr 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, lets hear out recommendations on what people here think is the most detailed, accurate, clear, and neutral IEMs.  
popcorn.gif

I've heard the UERM which I thought was great in this regard, and I've been recommended NT-6 being great.  

Apr 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 153
The CanalWorks CW-L05QD deserves a shout-out.

I have the UERM, and it's stellar --- probably UE's best custom product. It has a small bit of high lift, slightly flatter (dimensionally, not talking about FR) vocals, and very minor LF roll-off, but it truly works very well. For me, it needs a tight fit to sound its best; most people have only heard the demo version, and while the demo is good, it's spikier in the treble than the custom version.

The Etymotic ER4B is still the best IEM that I've ever heard with binaural recordings. But I can't listen to it for more than 15 min. straight.

I've heard positive things about the NT6, but have not tried it myself.

The JH13FP has truly great imaging that rivals that of the ER4B, but has too much bass to be considered neutral and has an annoying 6-7k spike. The lower treble issue might improve with a fully custom fitment, but I've only heard the demo version (tried to get the deepest, best fit possible, though).

Personally, I think the EX1000 is still very revealing and clear as a dynamic driver IEM. It's not the paragon of neutrality, however.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 153
Ok so I love vocals, especially vocals that were recorded with rich textures(similar to Miles's trumpet textures).  Although I like the textures in the vocals, I don't like the Shure signature grainy vocal textures. The reason why is the grains are too forward and not resolved.

With saying that, which iems has the most clarity, details, and accuracy with most realistic sounds or natural with very detailed vocal textures that reveals all the intricacies that are in these vocal textures?  

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 153
  CK100PRO, ER4S, F111 and for dynamic EX-1000. 

If I was to pick one it would be the CK100PRO.

I have the CK10 and it is fantastic when it comes to resolution and mids especially vocals, but I think it can get better.  The only thing I didn't like is it's lacked a bit of naturalness to the sound.

EX-1000 is also nice, it has clarity and it has airy sound which brings a bit of realism to the sound.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 153
I think the term natural sound on head-fi normally relates to sound that is warmer in nature or fuller mids, detail sound normally is never synonymous with detail sound. 

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 153
  I think the term natural sound on head-fi normally relates to sound that is warmer in nature or fuller mids, detail sound normally is never synonymous with detail sound. 

Natural has become a vague term to replace good :p  Natural originally meant life-like, realistic. 

___

My recommendation is the ER-4 or HiFiMan RE-272 if you can find one around XD 

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 153
Many mentioned above are cold and clinical. I recommend W40. Best vocal IEM I have heard in my IEM history. There has to be a lushness with vocals to make it really engaging and the W40 does that.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 153
Many mentioned above are cold and clinical. I recommend W40. Best vocal IEM I have heard in my IEM history. There has to be a lushness with vocals to make it really engaging and the W40 does that.

He asked for detailed, accurate, and neutral.  The W4(0) doesn't fit the final criterion...  I wouldn't say it's 100% accurate either as it's a fun, warm, lush sound with energy in the high end... 

Hi, I was wondering what sources you guys are using.  Which sources you guys think is best for bringing out the clarity and natural tones?

The headphone you use and how it interacts with your source will impact this more (in terms of clarity).  However, for something natural, you'll have to get a good recording in the first place.  Most modern recordings are a bit compressed and don't sound natural at all (loud != natural).  Some headphones, like the one mentioned above attempt to fix the compression by coloring the sound, but it's not a 100% solution.  They do, however, make more modern tracks sound more natural. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 153

The headphone you use and how it interacts with your source will impact this more (in terms of clarity).  However, for something natural, you'll have to get a good recording in the first place.  Most modern recordings are a bit compressed and don't sound natural at all (loud != natural).  Some headphones, like the one mentioned above attempt to fix the compression by coloring the sound, but it's not a 100% solution.  They do, however, make more modern tracks sound more natural. 

I agree with this, more so with high-end over ears with high impedance and low sensitivity  that needs desktop rigs.  As for iems where it gets quite sensitive, and with the high-end iems, it does get quite revealing IMO and can pick up differences of the source.

I think all iems provide color to some degree, and some too excessive.  And some provide color, but can be quite clear and detailed also. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 153
Tinyman392.....okay I will give you that but sometimes people don't accurately describe what they want. I am giving another perspective. 3 points to consider.

The w40 has a good 20% more bass than W4 while somehow magically maintaining that same neutrality. Unlike the overly forward Shure, it is balanced and smooth with no spikes.

The op needs to realize that the spectrum is large. You can have ER4, CK10 and RE272 on one end and W3 and FX700 on the other end but realize there are options in between. While neutral and accurate....vocals on that left side of the spectrum are....we'll...cold and clinical sounding. Lushness and neutrality can co-exist.

If he's had CK10 and EX1000 and is looking for something different, ER4 is not an alternative as it is too close to ER4.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 153
Ok, this is not iem related, but as an example.  I can say it's not all about the recording.  I have been looking up high-end cans that reveals as much as possible.  HD800 has been brought up again and again.  What is consistently stated is that it sounds too analytical even if it's more detailed than HE-6 which I think is very realistic sounding.  IMO HE-6 is very revealing, but at the same time it's very natural sounding.  My point is that, even with a great recording, the sound depends on the headphones for natural tonality, and the source equipment to less degree(but more once the headphones are known to be very transparent).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back