More confused than ever (HD-600/650 vs K701 vs DT-990)
Jan 7, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #16 of 26
I think I'm going to go for the Beyerdynamic DT-990/600 ohms and a tube amp if I can get one for the right price or maybe the e7/e9. I'll post a review once I get them but it'll probably be another 2-3 weeks. Thanks for all the responses!

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I own the K701's and the HD650's. Let me confuse you even more by saying the mids and highs on the K701's are lacking imo. The 'phone sounds shrill, plastic and thin. There's a coloration that affects singing voices and things like cymbals and snare drums, making them more edgy and sharp than what is natural. It's my main, and only, major gripe about the K701's.

Agree with that assessment entirely--thought I was the only one. As for it being your only gripe though, do you really need a second gripe? 

Some times I believe the point of being an audio enthusiast is to remain unsatisfied for as long as you possibly can. :D

Jack

You might have to interpret this riddle for me. I'm actually perfectly satisfied with my HD650s.

Jan 7, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #18 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Agree with that assessment entirely--thought I was the only one. As for it being your only gripe though, do you really need a second gripe? 

Some times I believe the point of being an audio enthusiast is to remain unsatisfied for as long as you possibly can. :D

Jack

You might have to interpret this riddle for me. I'm actually perfectly satisfied with my HD650s.

I just mean that enthusiasts tend to tweak and upgrade endlessly, perpetually chasing after the next improvement.

Jack

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #19 of 26
Hopefully you gonna enjoy your DT990 and find them exactly what you want. For me they have tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass and great mids and generally great and detailed but bright highs so even by using equalaiser i can't get rid of brightness so my pair with just 30 hours of use is now in for sale forum for over a week already but nobody yet contacted me. I also heard K702/1 but they need at least 300 hours of burn in plus headphones amp cause using my Denon 2310 to drive them gave some bass quantity but not quality. I also tried DT880 Premium which have no brightness but not as detailed as DT990 even with help of equaliser. But when i got HD650 i unexpectedly found that they are exactly what i was looking for and no brightness at all.

Jan 11, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 26
just get k702 and dt990, and you are done :p

actually I enjoy my k702 with electronic music... and dt990 too.. maybe i'm just deaf...

the biggest difference btw both of them was with mozart, otherwise, i enjoy any of those 2

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 26

Quote:
Hopefully you gonna enjoy your DT990 and find them exactly what you want. For me they have tight well controlled punchy not bloated bass and great mids and generally great and detailed but bright highs so even by using equalaiser i can't get rid of brightness so my pair with just 30 hours of use is now in for sale forum for over a week already but nobody yet contacted me. I also heard K702/1 but they need at least 300 hours of burn in plus headphones amp cause using my Denon 2310 to drive them gave some bass quantity but not quality. I also tried DT880 Premium which have no brightness but not as detailed as DT990 even with help of equaliser. But when i got HD650 i unexpectedly found that they are exactly what i was looking for and no brightness at all.

Nice!  That is a good story and I think Sennheiser should record you telling it for a promo video or something. 

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

Nice!  That is a good story and I think Sennheiser should record you telling it for a promo video or something. 

LOL! If his post was premeditated then it is a fine example of how to be a brand warrior.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #23 of 26
I tried a lot of different headphones before i got a great deal on HD650 starting from DT770 32 Ohm as cheapest ones and ending Pro900 as most expensive but like DT990 Pro 250 Ohm most but unfortunately was unable completely remove brightness using equaliser. I tried DT880 Premium 250 Ohm instead of DT990 but unfortunately together with brightness details were gone too. I found equaliser settings which allowed me to reduce brightness to acceptable for me level but was planning to try couple of more headphones but when i walked in into the store planning to get HD598 to try but when i found that HD650 are just 349.99 i just was unable to pass such great deal after missing newegg's black friday one. I'm just trying to tell my opinion as anybody else here and not promote any brand.  

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 26
I'm a big fan of the dt990's. Just a great overall open phone. Comfort and build quality are top notch. Very nice bass for an open phone. Hits really nice with impact. Unbelievable for live recording and instrument separation. One of my favorite aspects of the 990 is that I can listen at a louder volume for an extended period which I can't do with most of the hp's that I own. Turning up the volume about 25% more I can still hear everything with clarity never harshness. Great can and one of my favorites.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
I'm a big fan of the dt990's. Just a great overall open phone. Comfort and build quality are top notch. Very nice bass for an open phone. Hits really nice with impact. Unbelievable for live recording and instrument separation. One of my favorite aspects of the 990 is that I can listen at a louder volume for an extended period which I can't do with most of the hp's that I own. Turning up the volume about 25% more I can still hear everything with clarity never harshness. Great can and one of my favorites.

Agreed here. I've owned all 3 (currently own the HD600) and I have to say, I loved the 990's.

Like seriously best jamming cans in the world.....that can also put on formal attire and play classical. The mids ARE recessed, but I was afraid of the same thing. It's really not so horrible, and you will be happy with them :)

Apr 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 26
Just to throw my 2 cents in. I have the Hd-600s and the Alo-780s and IMO 600s are not the way to go for hip hop or electronic music. As i think some one mentioned above they are very refined, but refinement is not exactly the appeal of electronic music and hip hop.

I personally really like ultrasones for the genres of music you have listed. I feel that they have great bass impact without sacrificing the mids or high. And i know a lot of people don't believe the S-Logic hype but it works for me. But from what i can tell you are leaning towards the beyers and from everything i have read. They are the best choice out of the three models you originally listed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back