More comfortable, higher-end version of the HD 202 for around $100
Oct 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 29
have you looked into HD 205-II? i've never heard it but it seems like a logical option if you are looking for a modest upgrade.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #18 of 29
Would you be willing to try semi open?  If so the Panasonic HTF600s is great.  I have a pair myself and really love the bass on them.  Its around $35 right now on amazon (might be a bit more now, as people are buying up the stock), but its surprising how good it is.  The bass and sub-bass is great, and the overall signature is warm and fun.  Not a monitor, not a flat signal, but fun to listen to.  Be warned though that it is semi open--it has vents on the back of each cup.  I use them at work and don't hear too much of whats going on around me, nor to my cube mates hear my music, but YMMV.  Check out the thread in this Headphones section, and look at the impressions people have gotten.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #19 of 29
Wow, it seems the HTF600 is getting tons of praise. I'm wary about the supposed leakage though. Some say it sounds like a "clock radio in the other room" and "they leak like a baby that has to go pee" while you say it's not that bad.

As long as it doesn't sound like my cell phone's speakers to my roommate, I'd be willing to live with some leakage.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #20 of 29
Did someone mention HTF600?? Lol. I have the HD203 and the HD238.. Both don't even come close to the full sounds of the HTF600..If you end up with another phone besides the HTF600. Get one of these too. They are not only great for music but fantastic for games and movies as well.. There is a reason for the following on these. They are new to this community but out standing HP in every way..

So far I have guys that own high end cans..exe. HD650, Shure SRH940, Beats studio, pro,  Ultrasone PRo900s. They all love this phone for good reason.. These are so cheap you can get whatever any of these guys suggest on your thread and get one of these.. There is a good chance however that you will end up just liking your HTF600 over the other.. No kidding.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 29
Hahaha. After searching these phones around Head-Fi, it seems that you guys (Dsnuts and BBlord) and MalVeauX are huge proponents of the HTF600s. If you aren't Pannie salesmen, you would make excellent ones! 
tongue.gif

Could you comment on the severity of leakage with these headphones? You guys make it sound like they're the perfect pair for me sound-wise. I just don't want this to double as a small speakerphone.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #22 of 29
How much isolation do you require. They do leak sound but not as bad as a full open phone. It is a semi open design which give them a nice full sound with a mid wide sound stage. Open vents on the outside of the cans add to the sound design on them.. The trade off is while they do leak some sound they will give you a very full sound..If you absolutely need full isolation so others can't hear you. I would look at other cans. These will leak sound not crazy but it will be noticeable.. A room mate. Hmm Here is an idea. you can get 2 one for you and one for your room mate so there is no complaints..$60 is worth it to hear these.

Not sales men.. We are just fans.. You will be shocked at how great these sound for the money.. Currently there is nothing that touches them at even 5X the money spent...I would put the value just on sound on these at a headphone that cost around $150-$200 easy. That is the reason why guys are gushing over these headphones. This community is discovering a gem like you won't believe at the moment and I would get one before they go back up to the actual MSRP for $60.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 29
The roommate has a pair of Sennheiser HD 448s (mediocre-sounding IMO). I guess I don't really need that much isolation. These sound like quality headphones for the price. I'm going with the Pannies, then.

I appreciate everyone's replies. Thanks a million!

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #24 of 29
Let me know how you like em once you get them.. They do require a minor burn in. At least a full 24hours before the drivers loosen up..Around 40 for full. I would just throw a music source to em. Blast the sounds to fairly loud and just cover it with a blanket and you will have some fully dynamic bass the morning after..For kicks get one, burn them in. Then let your room mate hear them. Have him try n guess how much they are.. You will be surprised at what people say. .None say less than $100.. Throw your impressions on them on my thread. Let the community know if you like em or hate em. So far from  the majority it is all thumbs up. There are a few that didn't like the sound leakage but even those guys have nothing negative to say about how they sound.. You will see..

I bet once your room mate hears how good those sound he might get jealous but will probably buy one once they find out what the cost is.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 29

I just want to reiterate: out of box you will think Dsnuts and I are lying about the full bass.  Hell I was skeptical too.  However, even 3 hours in you notice the difference, and then after the burn in?  Just sit back and enjoy.

As for the leak, I may have undersold it a bit.  I had them on an airplane recently (since I travel a lot I decided to try them out), and you definitely hear the low rumble of the plane more than in closed cans.  

It also depends on the volume you keep your music.  At work, I mainly stream Pandora One.  I keep the volume slider on Pandora at max and on my computer between 25-30.  At these settings, people about 2-3 feet away can probably hear my music, but not too loud, while I get a full listening experience at a fairly safe level.  If you need heavy isolation from your surroundings OR can not leak any sound at all, I would not recommend the HTF600 (though I would still reco a pair for home use, they are that good and mad cheap).  

Hope that helps a bit.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #26 of 29
 Now you're making me want them....

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #28 of 29
Update: The HTF600 just came in today. Initial impressions are that these are exactly what I was looking for. Not only does it have much-improved bass than on the HD202s, but the mids and high clear right up. A-B'ing between the HD202 and the HTF600 is like coming out from underwater! And at only $10 more than I paid for the HD202s, it's perfect for me. The comfort difference is like night and day, as well. Can't wait to hear the bass grow after burn-in.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #29 of 29

Quote:
Update: The HTF600 just came in today. Initial impressions are that these are exactly what I was looking for. Not only does it have much-improved bass than on the HD202s, but the mids and high clear right up. A-B'ing between the HD202 and the HTF600 is like coming out from underwater! And at only $10 more than I paid for the HD202s, it's perfect for me. The comfort difference is like night and day, as well. Can't wait to hear the bass grow after burn-in.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice. Welcome to the HTF600 club and you bet they get better... Burn my friend.. Burn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back