More an energy consumption question~ Class A HPA's
Sep 4, 2010 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ninjikiran

1000+ Head-Fier
Out of curiosity what is the average power costs/minute(or even year) on a class A headphone amp?  Assuming it was on almost 24/7.  It has been bugging me for a while~  I don't have any tools for this.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 3
It really depends on the amp. They're all different and some draw more Watts than others. It will also depend on how hard the amp is running. They draw more power depending on what they have to output. Idling would be a different figure than running at full power.

If an amp draws 100W for every hour it is left on, it'll draw 876kW hours over a year. Multiply 876 by your kWh rate and you'll have your answer.

If you look around, you can find devices that measure how much energy something plugged into it is consuming. I've seen them for sale at Home Depot and Lowe's. You could plug an amp into one and see how much power it draws over 24 hours. Multiply by 365 then divide by 1,000 to find out how many kWh it draws. Multiply by your rate and you'll have your answer.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
They draw more power depending on what they have to output. Idling would be a different figure than running at full power.

Yes, and depending on the topology--complimentary push-pull for example--they can draw less power under signal conditions than at idle.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back