Moondrop S8 vs Andromeda Comparison
Sep 30, 2020 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'd like to chime in the audio community. I'd like to think of myself having a bit of audio experience, having owned over a dozen iems, including the ones in the title, earbuds, headphones (ANC, open-back, closed-back), and desktop speakers.

I found the time to give a little comparison of the Moondrop S8 (S8) and the pre-2020 Campfire Andromeda (CFA).

The CFA is a bit more expensive than the S8. However, if you are a follower of Crinacle, you can see his review on the S8, as well as it's ranking - the S8 ranks higher than the CFA.

I am not going to go much on Crinacle's assessment, but want to give my own, which is opposite to what you might expect. Long story short, the CFA is a much more solid IEM than the S8.

The number one reason is that CFA is not grainy. One can argue that the S8 has more detail, but along with that detail comes grain. If you don't know what grain is, it's basically how clean an IEM sounds. Each note in the S8 produces "spikes" during the note decay. It's hard to describe, but a visual analogy is a TV left in the static screen. It's a sort of hiss, and with a moderately trained ear, one can hear this.

Each note in the CFA decay wraps up much more naturally than the S8, though one can argue that the CFA decay is a bit slower as well. The result of this is that it produces a very organic midrange. With that said, and I cannot explain this, but the CFA has a little bit of a nasally tone in the male-vocals area, whereas the S8 does not. Still, the CFA sounds natural, despite this drawback.

Another aspect that the CFA has over the S8 is soundstage height. I truly think that this is the acoustic chamber doing the work, instead of tubes directly feeding the sound. One merit the S8's soundstage has is that it images well, and not as forward as the CFA. It has a natural stage feel, like truly you are sitting in front of a stage. CFA is more holographic, wide, and due to less grain, you can "feel" each instrument in isolation more so that S8, which tends to blend instruments together due to the grain, even if those instruments are imaged well.

Additionally, S8 has glaring weaknesses, like an overly shouty upper midrange. Many people have pointed this out in the Harman tuned iems, and I completely agree. It's very noticeable, and that's all I can say. Does it completely destroy the sound? No. I tried to eq down this area as well, but there are remnants of it even though the eq.

In the end, what I can say is that the CFA is still a strong IEM. It will likely be my endgame before I find more money and buy more high-end IEMs.

And as much as wouldn't like to say this, don't get the S8. Upon first listen, the S8 is a very good iem - you get detail, imaging, soundstage. But in the end, its drivers don't produce as clean notes as iems like the CFA, and all in all you will be bothered by the grain and bright upper-midrange.

Oct 4, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 32
Um, no I don't agree with any of this. To me the Andro is extremely V shaped and not my preference. I think you are mistaking preference for quality.

What makes this different from Crin's take? Take a bunch of "in" jargon, dress it up in cake... but at the end if the day, that too is easily subjective dressed up in cake.

Oct 4, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #5 of 32
All "reviews" are subjective. I, for one, do not agree with Crinacle's rankings for my preferences but that's fine..
I agree with the upper midrange being an issue for me in the S8. I really tried to like the S8 when I had them. They had detail levels that rivalled even the U12t but the upper midrange created an artificiality to instrumental timbre that I just couldn't like. I tried EQ'ing and got lost in that finding that in the end they sounded best without EQ but ultimately I sold them because of the timbre.
I'm sure it's a tuning many would love but like the original reviewer, i prefer the Andromeda.

Oct 4, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 32
I would love a mix of the mids of the S8 with the lows and highs of the amdromedas....🥰
Good point, S8 has the advantage of uncolored mids. Andromeda has a warm and slightly nasally midrange. If I had to put a number, maybe 10-15% midrange coloration. However, it still sounds organic, even if it's colored. I think it's just a good coloration of the mids.
S8 mids are actually recessed, but again they are not colored.
Andro bass not as tight as S8, but also has more warmth and overall very nice bass. The warmth of the iem comes from the bass for sure. Bass goes very deep in andro, it doesn't get enough credit here.

S8 bass very articulate and tight, one of its strong points for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 32
So much of this is tips and associations. Try some comply's on the S8 and the things you have issue with go away. The Andro has everything turned up to eleven and even with resistor bass tuning never sounds natural though extremely entertaining. Sort of enhance form accuracy. I never tended to like comply's due to their overall sig (everything has one) but they are a perfect voicing fit here and much better than Chinese foam tips in this instance. The foam that come with and work so well on the Andro are not as good as the open foam of the Comply on the S8 and vice versa. I have both IEMs in front of me right now with tips and resistor mod. It's horses for courses but the S8 this way is clearly not worse than the Andro. I actually slightly prefer it and have had Jh13fp, PP8 etc in the past. Nothing is perfect but so much of these sort of compares has to do finding the right tips etc.
1607778948486.png

Dec 12, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 32
I have the the S8, though I don' t understand your concept of grain. The S8 sounds very clean but can be a bit hard sounding depending on the recordings. Actually I don't think the upper mids are that much of a problem. I EQ them down with a parametric EQ but this did not improve them.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #10 of 32
It's what the Comply's do naturally while also evening out the bottom. If I can't get them to where I want manually (without EQ), I move on. I'm rather fussy about tonality and no complaints now. Of course, that's for my ear, YMMV. I haven't been a comply fan in the past but they voice extremely well here.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 32
Here's Andro's flaws I found over time. When I first heard it, the treble stood out and sounded a bit boosted there. Andro is too thick sounding in the mids, and reduces clarity. This was V1.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #12 of 32
The andro is not perfect. There is boosted treble, but it's placed just right (starts/stops at the correct locations) that it brings out a certain 'air' to an otherwise what would be generic/congested IEM sound - yes.

But, tonality aside, it was not the focus of the original post. Admittedly I did not stress it enough. I just feel like the BA drivers themselves are not as high quality as Andromeda. In particular, the notes do not sound as clean. Andro is not perfect, as is most iems. The decay cannot match that of headphones despite being small physically, and more of the drivers. I don't know why, I recommend someone provide the answer - why do iems sound more grainy than headphones.

S8 is a very detailed oriented listen. It provides more wow factor. Andro, at first listen, sounds like a $100 iem with its tuning. High midbass, a bit hollow, nasally midrange. But all in all, I would give more points to how well its executed, even if this tonal signature is not commonly agreed upon (people, on average, want close to neutral).

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 32
What makes this different from Crin's take? Take a bunch of "in" jargon, dress it up in cake... but at the end if the day, that too is easily subjective dressed up in cake.
Im certainly not saying that my opinion is factually correct, just that all of this is opinion. Just bugs me when folks talk about iem sound in the absolute sense.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #14 of 32
Good point, S8 has the advantage of uncolored mids. Andromeda has a warm and slightly nasally midrange. If I had to put a number, maybe 10-15% midrange coloration. However, it still sounds organic, even if it's colored. I think it's just a good coloration of the mids.
S8 mids are actually recessed, but again they are not colored.
Andro bass not as tight as S8, but also has more warmth and overall very nice bass. The warmth of the iem comes from the bass for sure. Bass goes very deep in andro, it doesn't get enough credit here.

S8 bass very articulate and tight, one of its strong points for sure.

The stock S8 was not suited for long listening due to hot treble. It may explain the grain that you hear. Tracks with a lot of violins and cymbals would demonstrate this. It's the 10Hz+ peaks that did not have the bass to balance it. I found that misfit tips lower treble spike and a cable swap boosted sub-bass enough to satisfy me. (Or maybe I'm getting hearing damage from the S8 and now my treble-perceiving cells are dead). IRL Brain burn-in.

The mid-range. I think it's because how much the creator of Moondrop likes anime girls. S8 was probably tuned for Japanese OST which are mostly female vocals.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 32
Every review points to the S8 as having a relaxed treble. UIt's definitely not hot up there. The most elevated range is around 3k. I'm getting some BA filters for the mid bore to take it down a couple DB. Tips and cables help but I'm looking for a more universal solution to make a great IEM more greaterer. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back