Moondrop in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #11,821 of 12,009
That actually looks good. Now the question is how much of that is DSP and how much is actual tuning.

Well, if we go by crinacle's Dusk 3's WIP graphs then seems the aim is still to get the analog tuning as correct as possible.

Dusk.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #11,822 of 12,009
Also... the official graph would suggest that May is not crinacle's Project Mongrel.

Which I'm glad about actually, as I'm hoping it might end up being Creative's upcoming Aurvana Ace 2 xMEMs TWS.

Just a hunch mind, based on nothing more than what Crin hinted at during his recent video and the Singaporeon connection...

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #11,823 of 12,009
Well, if we go by crinacle's Dusk 3's WIP graphs then seems the aim is still to get the analog tuning as correct as possible.

Good to know that they aren't doing a "We'll fix it in post" style of tuning. I'm fine with DSP being used for minor corrections that can't be done without tradeoffs with conventional tuning methods, but I dislike anything being dependent on DSP to sound good.

Why would that be important? Freedom of cable choice?
For the most part, yeah. The way I see it, the DSP chip probably is going to die before the cable goes bad. Sure, it'll take a while but it will happen eventually and it would be really disappointing if it sounds completely different without the DSP. The other part is that I do have a few really good sources in my collection that simply can't be used with or taken advantage of with the DSP cable.
I get that a lot of people don't care either way and some actually prefer it. Even I'm fine with using DSP on the go or in the office, but I highly doubt the Moondrop DSP implementation can out perform my M15S in any way, shape or form. Not to mention my Schiit stack, but I know not every one here has access to that kind of gear.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #11,824 of 12,009
Seems the May has made it out into the wild. $65, cable is a 2 pin interchangable one (look like it's maybe just a Moondrop Free? That might explain the high end response as I think the DSP on that only goes to 10khz for some reason). Shenzen Audio, Linsoul and HifiGo all have it.

The plannar is only 6mm and is seemingly only for the treble:

1702040453827.jpeg

1702039906240.jpeg

1702040161204.png

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #11,825 of 12,009
Calling that a planar feels like a bit of a stretch imho, it really looks like just a flattened DD, and sure, a planar may be just a flattened DD, but you'd usually see the coil being one way or another printed and spread out across the whole diaphragm's surface, so that it moves evenly as a whole in response to the signal, but here judging by the exploded visuals it really seems like just a regular circular coil of wire glued to a flattened DD diapgrahm.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #11,828 of 12,009
That's just confusing, they already called a Blessing 2 Moondrop x Crinacle tuning "Dusk", so now Blessing 3 Crinacle version will also be "Dusk"?

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #11,832 of 12,009
That's just confusing, they already called a Blessing 2 Moondrop x Crinacle tuning "Dusk", so now Blessing 3 Crinacle version will also be "Dusk"?

Much probably.
I love my Blessing 2 Dusk, but do not understand the heavy anime association. Are iem's and anime synonymous? What am I missing? Am I simply too old to understand? It sort of cheapens the product to me, as if it were designed for kids.

Same for me, I don't understand at all this anime mania with the iems packages... but seems that it likes a lot to the asian market/buyers.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #11,835 of 12,009
Don't like anime pics? Then don't buy it. Always these whiners. Why are you in the Moondrop thread in the first place? :deadhorse:
I was genuinely asking. It’s not that I don’t like it, but I am interested in understanding it. I also have a couple of business degrees and a working knowledge of marketing, but admittedly this is outside my wheelhouse. And I own two different iem’s from Moondrop, hence my presence here. I find them to be high quality and enjoyable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back