Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier
Mar 7, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #1,441 of 1,920
  So, even with nothing plugged in, does anyone get a really high frequency from D1-D4 (the DAC portion of the 430HAD)?

I can somewhat hear it at any volume, but at maximum volume (80) it's very apparent that it's there through my Utopia.
Almost nothing what so ever from the analog portion.

I've tried different methods of supplying power, nothing plugged into the DAC portion, nothing plugged in at all, but no luck trying to figure this out...

It's a HUGE bummer though and I am about ready to sell my 430HAD to fund a DAVE and just use the DAVE stereo output. That, or I might get a rag/yggy combo, or something.

In my experience the 430HAD was silent. Is the sound still present while using the "Lo" gain setting? 

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #1,442 of 1,920
  In my experience the 430HAD was silent. Is the sound still present while using the "Lo" gain setting? 

Yep, same exact sound... It's awful.
I mainly started to notice it yesterday and today -- along with that, mainly with my Utopia over the Abyss, but that's probably because it's so easy to drive in comparison. I still hear it with my Abyss, but it has to be at maximum volume.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,443 of 1,920
  So, even with nothing plugged in, does anyone get a really high frequency from D1-D4 (the DAC portion of the 430HAD)?

I can somewhat hear it at any volume, but at maximum volume (80) it's very apparent that it's there through my Utopia.

I've tried different methods of supplying power, nothing plugged into the DAC portion, nothing plugged in at all, but no luck trying to figure this out...

It's a HUGE bummer though and I am about ready to sell my 430HAD to fund a DAVE and just use the DAVE stereo output. That, or I might get a rag/yggy combo, or something.

I had the Yiggy/Rag combo,if you can swing it get the Dave and thank me later

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,444 of 1,920
I had the Yiggy/Rag combo,if you can swing it get the Dave and thank me later

I am very much considering it and have the funds for it currently.

Just a large price to swallow for a DAC. That and the amp at that price better be on par with my Moon so I can sell that too.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,446 of 1,920
i just tried d1, d2, d3, and d4 on max 80 volume with my Utopia.

dead silent.  space silent.  

in fact, the silence of the 430HA(D) is one of the top things i love about it.  

if you are getting noticeable high freq, there is something wrong with the unit.  or more likely whatever you have feeding into it.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,448 of 1,920
  i just tried d1, d2, d3, and d4 on max 80 volume with my Utopia.

dead silent.  space silent.  

in fact, the silence of the 430HA(D) is one of the top things i love about it.  

if you are getting noticeable high freq, there is something wrong with the unit.  or more likely whatever you have feeding into it.  

I have the same with Audeze LCD-XC (which are very easy to drive). Which is impressive. However connecting the in-ear Shure SE846, not so good (a lot of noise), but that is ok - those are not meant to be used with Moon 430HAD

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,449 of 1,920
  I have the same with Audeze LCD-XC (which are very easy to drive). Which is impressive. However connecting the in-ear Shure SE846, not so good (a lot of noise), but that is ok - those are not meant to be used with Moon 430HAD

My IEM's are dead quiet.  The 430 is truly a  great piece, adding nothing.  I just did a swap of the HA1/David and this is where the 430 is truly great, it is two machines in one with nary a difference between arguably the best class A amp and DAC available.

Not only that but the 430 is full function and attractive.

I suggest to the user with noise to ship out the 430 for a complete FACTORY check up.  Couple hundred bucks well spent unless you have cash dripping everywhere.  If so, slop some my way and I'll keep two great headphone amps.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #1,450 of 1,920

I have no sound problems in my setup. Using Toslink in from Moon MiND 180 currently.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #1,452 of 1,920

My IEM's are dead quiet.  The 430 is truly a  great piece, adding nothing.  I just did a swap of the HA1/David and this is where the 430 is truly great, it is two machines in one with nary a difference between arguably the best class A amp and DAC available.

Not only that but the 430 is full function and attractive.

I suggest to the user with noise to ship out the 430 for a complete FACTORY check up.  Couple hundred bucks well spent unless you have cash dripping everywhere.  If so, slop some my way and I'll keep two great headphone amps.

Depends on the IEM I would say.... no point in sending it to factory check up. I have two myself; and have checked 3 others. They are all the same :)

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,453 of 1,920
I am very much considering it and have the funds for it currently.

Just a large price to swallow for a DAC. That and the amp at that price better be on par with my Moon so I can sell that too.

The Moon amp is better than the amp or power of the Dave but it is very different....with the Dave alone it is more intimate and transparent and if you plan to use it with the Utopia you have zero worries about power

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,454 of 1,920
cross-posted from the LCD-4 thread.... in case anyone wants to discuss this amp's greatness any further....

I've also heard a lot of 'meh' impressions of the 430.  

your comment above got me to thinking..... and i did some research.

i put "Moon Neo 430 review" into Google.  got about 20 quality hits.  everything from big tech sites like CNET to personal audiophile blogs like our own Headphone Guru.  

not one of them, EVEN ONE, was negative.  hell, negative... i couldn't find one that was anything less than exuberant in their praise of the Moon.  only a couple of those 20 thought that it was good, but not $4k good.  the vast majority thought it warrants its high price tag.

please, double check my research.  i'd honestly love to see these "meh" impressions you speak of.  and that doesn't mean you quote some dingbat user-post on an audio forum, this one or otherwise.  you could post a glass of filtered water on the internet and find a thousand people who hate it.  and by the way, i'd bet dollars to donuts that 80% of any "meh" user reviews were judging it pre-300hrs burn in.  that was the story with Steve Guttenberg at CNET, who started his review wondering what all the fuss was about until he burned it in thoroughly, then sang a 180 degree different tune.  

all that said, the Neo 430 isn't for everyone.  it was perfect for me.... because i value simplicity and and something at or d*mn close to "the best".  i wanted an amp with an integrated DAC that could handle both my power-thirsty LCD-4 and my efficient Utopia and everything in between, and somehow makes them all sound at their best.  and any future TOTL headphone that comes out that i might get.  i wanted an amp that does not exaggerate bass, color the mids, or create sibilant highs.  i wanted an amp that, as Tyll so perfectly put it "gets the hell out of the way of the music".  i wanted an amp that makes listening to music at relatively high volumes for extended periods a non-painful event.  i wanted deep space silence and maximum dynamic range.  and i wanted an amp that will never, never be wanting for power.  

plug all that into the calculator and the Moon Neo 430 pretty much stands alone in delivering that recipe.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back