Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable impressions
Feb 24, 2009 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
There's really not a lot of information on this site about the Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, so I thought I'd give my quick impressions about them and list some sonic characteristics of the Black Dragon.

The source is as follows

MacBookPro optical out - FrankenZero Dac - Little Dot MK3 - Black Dragon - HD650

All playback files were in FLAC format

Upon first impression, the Cable is visually stunning, it's very well crafted and has that underground boutique look about it. It's flexible and the Furutech 1/4 plug is very sturdy and makes up for about half of the cords weight. Photos don't do it justice, it just glistens under certain lighting conditions and has a high class matte look under other light. This is one blingtastic cable!!!!

Soundwise, the cable tamed the slightly flabby undefined mid bass of the stock HD650 cable and extended the highs while managing to keep the treble silky smooth.

I think the "veil" is just the stray bass frequencies in the stock HD650 cord polluting all the rest of the frequencies, the Black Dragon attempts to lift the veil by taming the bass and upping the treble extension and I think they've accomplished this task wonderfully.

However I do think that the Senn "veil" is partially responsible for making the Senn house sound dark and mysteriously seductive, cabling it with the Black Dragon, you exchange some of that dark and seductive weight for more of a neutral open sound. Wether it's a good thing or not is just a matter of personal preference.

Personally, I prefer a weightier presentation and find that the stock cord conveys the sound with a slight bit more drama, but this feeling comes as a cumulative effect of listening to a whole record while using the stock cord, where as the Black Dragon will instantly impress you with it's resolution and detail.

This is to be expected when considering the pedigree of the cable maker Drew. He pitches the Silver Dragon as his premier cable. It's aimed at people with a taste for all things neutral and detail oriented. I believe the black dragon is the "warmest" of his offerings.

The sound stage become perceptibly more open, you get a greater sense of "air" around the instruments. It moves the listener closer to the stage for a more technically involving listen.

Ultimately, I feel the Black Dragon coupled to the HD650 is quite a truth teller, and very revealing of your source materials.

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks for the review, I'm trying to figure out what cable to use for my incoming HD650s, I've only heard them before stock.
It sounds like this is a pretty good cable for me, warm sound clarity of bass etc

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 5
Equinox
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 5
I had the Equinox, good cable if you want to improve the sound from the stock cable without changing anything with regards the signature. However I now have a Silver Dragon V2. It gives the Senn`s more zip and dynamics at the same time as increasing detail, clarity,sounstaging and HF information. Not so sure it tightens the bass, sometimes I feel it does but can`t be certain (certainly no worse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back