Monster Turbine review
Jan 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

500+ Head-Fier
First things first: this is my first review, so please don't expect too much. My other headphones worth mention are Shure SRH440s, Sennheiser PX100s, Panasonic RP HTX7s and Etymotic ER6s, so I don't have much to compare to. I'm listening straight out of my Samsung Z5. I briefly thought of using my new P3, but that would be inaccurate; the P3's DNSe 3.0 improves the soundstage and clarity considerably, but it's done through processing.

Fortunately, the Turbines do sound great. Bass is very full and deep, and highs, for the most part, have some shine while being mostly sibilance-free. It should be noted that the bass does not overshadow the other frequencies in any way, although mids are naturally a bit recessed. Overall, this is a very forward-sounding pair, well-suited to my usual tastes of alternative rock/punk - Arctic Monkeys, the White Stripes and Franz Ferdinand, to name a few.

What most impresses me is how the Turbines render the impact of drums and vivid tones of guitars. That being said, calling them 'In-Ear Speakers' is definitely an overstatement; the soundstage is average for an earphone of its caliber - not very large, but with decent separation of instruments. One thing to take note of is that the Turbines are very loud/sensitive; they are the only pair that gives off audible hiss from my player, and the volume level I use them at is significantly lower than with my other headphones.

The Turbines come with a fairly good selection of eartips, aside from the lack of foam tips. The included case is also quite nice, although it feels squishy and is not crush-resistant, like Klipsch's or Ultimate Ears'. Personally, they fit well in my ears, with the small single-flange tips on. Being dynamic IEMs, the casings are a bit wide, if I do say so. The left earphone presses against the cartilage in front of my ear canal, which makes it sore after extended use; however, this is unlikely to happen to anyone else, as I doubt my ears are even fully grown yet!

I digress, though; young, discerning ears are going to be driving the next generation of audiophiles in a continually more compressed, low-bitrate world. Just for the record (no pun intended), I buy physical CDs and rip 192kbps WMAs.

I love the metal casing of the Turbines, and the earphones themselves feel very robust. However, the real caveat of these earphones, as commonly reported, is the cable quality. Just by comparing photos of the Turbines and the new Turbine Pros, the former's weaknesses are quite noticeable. Strain relief is terrible, as there is none whatsoever. The rubber sleeves on the earphones aren't secured properly, nor do they extend into the earphones.

I haven't checked, but the wire is probably tied in a knot inside the earphone, like many others, but as for the plug and the Y-split, they do not inspire confidence. The cable itself is rubbery, much like stock Apple earbuds, which isn't good as I prefer a more frictionless, plastic cable. In fact, the lower cable has actually frayed a bit in the Y-split on mine after less than two weeks of use. My three-year-old ER6s, what with their thin cables that I tie up relentlessly, haven't had any problems in this department. Consider this a defamatory step backwards for Monster, a cable company, no less!

Overall, while this is definitely not the first review, opinions remain similar: Good sound for the price, but a terrible build. This review might be rehashing what's already been said by other users, but let it serve as yet another piece of information for any prospective buyers.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 19
Good review, but minimal attention mainly because the MTBs are sort of yesterday's news (the new Pro version is more of interest on HF), with so many new IEMs out and more debuting at CES. Also, you might have wanted to add your review to an already existing MTB thread, rather than starting a new one. THere is definitely one MTB appreciation thread out there. Just saying.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 19
Yeah, the cable's REALLY microphonic. Personally, I'm totally capable of ignoring it if I want to, but I find myself holding the cable just below the Y-split at times, expressly for the purpose of, well, making it shut up. A shirt clip would be of great use here; better yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Monster, hopefully not neglecting the Turbine for their newer earphones, can update the design with a better cable.

As for isolation, I happen to own a pair of ER6s. With the small single flanges, it's pretty good, but not quite as much as the Etymotics. That being said, it's hardly a noticeable difference. I also use a pair of trimmed bi-flanges, which improves the isolation very slightly.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #11 of 19
while over the ear, it doesnt give me the good fit im looking for and my ears tend to push the bullets out. overall, im quite happy for the sound that comes with it but it's way too heavy and should really be designed to be used over-the-ear (to support its weight).

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #13 of 19
Well, I tried it and over-ear is more finicky, I have to say. However, they do fit more snugly. It's in my best interest to take pictures, so I'll get them up soon.

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I tried it and over-ear is more finicky, I have to say. However, they do fit more snugly. It's in my best interest to take pictures, so I'll get them up soon.

Edit:
Pictures are up - sorry for the image size, they were taken with a webcam in hand. I chose to downsize the pictures from 640 x 480 to make things more organized, and the resolution sharper.

Side
4290039238_18a3f26ff6_m.jpg

Front
4290039390_5cc8e89a58_m.jpg

4290039576_ec5e8c0c3b_m.jpg

Bottom
4290039510_0fe460e131_m.jpg

I'm using a trimmed biflange in the photos; a single-flange will stick out a bit less. Still, remember that when it comes to comfort, your mileage will, not may, vary. For some people, the Turbines barely extend past the flap of cartilage directly above the earlobe. That being said, if any more photos are needed, I'd be happy to take some more.

By the way, does anybody know, if it's possible, to arrange photos side-by-side? I was envisioning a 2x2 grid with these pictures.

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saintkeat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone got a pic of turbines worn over the ear?

and btw why has no one tried modding the cable?

I'm not sure, actually. Even though I have no experience in recabling whatsoever, I think it would be more difficult than with other earphones, as the Turbines have a solid metal body, with no visible gaps, or should I say, opening points anywhere in the casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back