Monster Miles Davis Unamped
Apr 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Great thanks for the response. Funny that nobody else was able to comment. I have searched the other headphone sites, this site, etc. and there is a lot of info on them but nobody (that I have been able to find) mentions the use of them unamped or amped. I knew someone was going to chime in and say "why not use the search feature" well I did that and found nothing. If I could find these at best buy or something like that I would just buy them and try for myself.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 14
I don't own a clip but I have run them straight out of my fuze and it sounds wonderful.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 14
@jtack, I think most IEMs are designed to be used portably, no extra amping is necessary. From what I have read, some IEMs sound even better amping, but not everybody has the extra money to buy amps. And I personally don't like the idea carrying an amp for outdoor
regular_smile .gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was trying to search and find out if these are good to run unamped out of a sansa clip? Also what about the coppers? Thanks!

They do indeed run wonderfully unamped straight from my Sony X walkman dap. They are so involving and easy to drive that I would think they will be great from any nice sounding player.

Apr 17, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 14
I just wanted to mention if you're looking for a good price, I just received my set of Coppers today from onecall.com and it was really quick! $249 shipped! Spokane to Chicago in 3 days! Just use the name your price option and they're willing to go for the price I just mentioned. They also carry the Miles Davis Tributes but I'm not sure what their best price is on those, somebody else on here may be able to chime in.

Apr 17, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 14
I was a little worried too, as I'm going to be using my MD's unamped. Good to know they don't require an amp to make a substantial difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadoracer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to mention if you're looking for a good price, I just received my set of Coppers today from onecall.com and it was really quick! $249 shipped! Spokane to Chicago in 3 days! Just use the name your price option and they're willing to go for the price I just mentioned. They also carry the Miles Davis Tributes but I'm not sure what their best price is on those, somebody else on here may be able to chime in.

Their best price is 320$ for the brand new one, and same price for open box.

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #10 of 14
Anyway, I didn't mean to stray from your main question just figured if you're in the market you could save some cash.

As far as amping, I noticed in Average Joe's Copper vs. other top iem's thread, he mentioned that the Coppers do like amping so I can only assume that the Miles Davis Tribs would be similar in that sense. Not that they have to be amped but according to Joe's findings the Coppers bass tightens and the phones are more dynamic and spacious. Maybe an amp would be something to consider as a future upgrade should you decide on the Monsters.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...e-e-q7-478813/

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadoracer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I didn't mean to stray from your main question just figured if you're in the market you could save some cash.

As far as amping, I noticed in Average Joe's Copper vs. other top iem's thread, he mentioned that the Coppers do like amping so I can only assume that the Miles Davis Tribs would be similar in that sense. Not that they have to be amped but according to Joe's findings the Coppers bass tightens and the phones are more dynamic and spacious. Maybe an amp would be something to consider as a future upgrade should you decide on the Monsters.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...e-e-q7-478813/

You're right, they do indeed take to amping well, showing a widening of the soundstage, and gaining more layering and instrument separation. Bass does tighten up too, with more of a sealed subwoofer sound quality to it.

But they are quite good right out of a quality DAP.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you all!

Just a deviation of opinion but myself and 2-3 others feel the Clip+ to sound a bit thin in driving the Monster Pros. My guess is either power or the signature of the Sansas. There is not a volume problem rockboxed or not, just seems like the body of the music is about 5% lacking in detail. I used the boxed Clip+ w/ Grado GR8's and the Clip+ sounded much better. My guess is power is an issue for the Monster Pros. This is also revealed in the volume you need to get them to shine their best. IMO, you don't need an amp to drive the MTP's or to get them loud, you do need more power to get them to sound their best. I'm hoping an SFlo2 will do that if I ever get one.

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Amping improves my Golds. I am sure they improve the Coppers and MD as well. I am also quite sure that they sound even without an amp. But the right amp will improve any of these for sure. I have not met a headphone that didn't improve from proper amping. The right amp will always make a headphone or IEM sound better. I've yet to meet an exception to this rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back