Monster breaking up with Beats
Jan 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 48

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty bad.  I think Monster sells more volume though since they're all over Best Buy and every other audio-visual store in existence.

best buy sells audioquest too. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 48

Quote:

I doubt it.  The division will probably split off and form its own company.  God knows they already have the brand recognition.

Possible, but it could depend on a few factors:

-Who owns the design? Is Beats allowed to manufacture their current headphone line by themselves or via another company?
-How quickly do they want to transition away from Monster? I imagine their manufacturing volume is quite high.
-Do they have the expertise to design a new line of headphones in house yet?

Switching to another manufacturer instead of going in house has the advantage of being faster. Switching to a company like AKG or Senn would give the advantage of higher sound quality, giving current Beats owners a reason to upgrade. However, manufacturing cost could be a huge disadvantage.

My guess is that they go the Apple route: Create their own designs and contract out the manufacturing to whichever company with sizable third world manufacturing capacity is willing to do it the cheapest. If they are smart they will create a new line with better sound quality than the present line to lure past customers to upgrade, but only a minor increase so that they have an easier time creating annual refreshes.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 48

Quote:
Possible, but it could depend on a few factors:

-Who owns the design? Is Beats allowed to manufacture their current headphone line by themselves or via another company?
-How quickly do they want to transition away from Monster? I imagine their manufacturing volume is quite high.
-Do they have the expertise to design a new line of headphones in house yet?

Switching to another manufacturer instead of going in house has the advantage of being faster. Switching to a company like AKG or Senn would give the advantage of higher sound quality, giving current Beats owners a reason to upgrade. However, manufacturing cost could be a huge disadvantage.

My guess is that they go the Apple route: Create their own designs and contract out the manufacturing to whichever company with sizable third world manufacturing capacity is willing to do it the cheapest. If they are smart they will create a new line with better sound quality than the present line to lure past customers to upgrade, but only a minor increase so that they have an easier time creating annual refreshes.

From reading the article, Beats gets to keep the design and the name, as well as the technology (Beats Audio, I assume).  The only thing they won't have is the manufacturing capacity, but they have plenty of money to set that up.

On a (possibly) sadder note, Monster is designing its own headphones to compete with Beats.  I guess we can hope that their new offerings will be more up to the standard of the Turbines and the Miles Davis series.

The article at least implies that Beats is forming its own company.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 48

Quote:
Shows you how often I go to Best Buy then :p  I think it's been about 6 months since I set foot in one, and I was only looking at cameras at the time.

they sell audioquest, but only in stores that have the mangolia home theater section in them.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 48
Beats is supposedly starting the manufacturing process on its own, but are also considering other partnerships, according to Iovine.

Real douchey on his part to say that previous higher end offerings looked like medical instruments, and that there were essentially no options for consumers until Beats came along. I'd say all of us here know the truth behind that. However, alot of their wording obviously indicates that they aren't targeting people who had already purchased any headphones over $50 before.

http://www.billboard.com/news/jimmy-iovine-on-beats-by-dre-parting-with-1005878552.story#/news/jimmy-iovine-on-beats-by-dre-parting-with-1005878552.story

His quotes really ought to piss you off

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 48
"We are purely on a mission to fix audio for every record company for every artist around the world."

"You can't just stick someone's name on a headphone that doesn't know anything about sound."

How ironic.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #24 of 48
Those Monster Inspirations actually look kind of nice.

I wish Sennheiser would price the Amperior more competitively. I'd feel alright seeing kids on my campus wearing HD 25's more often.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #25 of 48

Quote:
They broke up because they had disagreement with how much they are splitting from the beats profits.

And I had a glimmer of hope.

Well, it's Monster. What do you expect? Hey, maybe they did go slightly well with their Turbines (I didn't particularly enjoy them) and Miles Davis Tribute (actually quite decent but a little pricey) but it's still Monster.

And to think they could have been going somewhere.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #27 of 48
I think the relationship turns sour when people with Beats actually realise it's way overpriced (60% of my friends have already realised this). Monster quickly breaks free before it's too late (AKA Beats is ruining their public image). 

My only hope is that Monster will produce decent headphones after this wonderful break up. Monster has all the publicity now and it's a good time to make the real thing.

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 48

Quote:
Those Monster Inspirations actually look kind of nice.

I wish Sennheiser would price the Amperior more competitively. I'd feel alright seeing kids on my campus wearing HD 25's more often.

I think Sennheiser had the right idea with the Adidas HD-25s, HD220s, and CX 310s. I think if they got more stores like Best Buy to carry them, offer display kiosks (if that's the right term) to retailers, and marketed them rigorously, they would have worked out better.

And let me get this straight, Audioquest and Monster made the beats? And now they're splitting up? Personally, I hope it hurts the beats line, because I'm sick of seeing celebrity endorsed headphones. The Soul line by Ludacris is what really made me facepalm. I haven't heard them, but what a cheap rip-off of an already bad line of headphones. Personally, I would love to see Monster make some high-end full-sized headphones, because the Turbines let us know that they have that ability.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 48

Quote:
I think Sennheiser had the right idea with the Adidas HD-25s, HD220s, and CX 310s. I think if they got more stores like Best Buy to carry them, offer display kiosks (if that's the right term) to retailers, and marketed them rigorously, they would have worked out better.

And let me get this straight, Audioquest and Monster made the beats? And now they're splitting up? Personally, I hope it hurts the beats line, because I'm sick of seeing celebrity endorsed headphones. The Soul line by Ludacris is what really made me facepalm. I haven't heard them, but what a cheap rip-off of an already bad line of headphones. Personally, I would love to see Monster make some high-end full-sized headphones, because the Turbines let us know that they have that ability.

dont forget the sms by 50 cent.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #30 of 48

Quote:

And let me get this straight, Audioquest and Monster made the beats?

No, that was just a random discussion that spun off from me mentioning that Monster was a huge seller of overpriced consumer A/V cables when someone asked how they would make money without Beats.  The only relationship between Audioquest and Monster (afaik) is that they both sell overpriced A/V cables.

And, supposedly (I haven't heard them), the Souls are slightly better than the Beats.  Not much, but that's what I've heard.  The SMS by 50Cent though...they're terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back