Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 9, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #4,756 of 5,150
Are you using the M1570 headphone with a balanced cable to the LP or a single-ended TRS cable?
One possibility if using a 1/4" TRS cable is that the headphone cable wasn't plugged in all the way and created a contact problem that the LP protection detected as a fault.

Find a balanced headphone cable and try using the balanced 4-pin output.
Be mindful that the M1570 has a non-standard XLR pinout, and requires a compatible balanced cable. Monoprice does sell a XLR cable for the M1570, and Hart Audio can make one. I have the MP cable on mine.

If the M1570 owner goes for the MP cable, they have a 20CABLE code active currently for 20% off. It's worth having for the M1570, tho you may not be happy giving MP more money considering things.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #4,757 of 5,150
Are you using the M1570 headphone with a balanced cable to the LP or a single-ended TRS cable?
One possibility if using a 1/4" TRS cable is that the headphone cable wasn't plugged in all the way and created a contact problem that the LP protection detected as a fault.

Find a balanced headphone cable and try using the balanced 4-pin output.
I'm currently using the 1/4" cable provided with the headphones. I'm sure the cable was fully and securely connected. If the amp is in protection mode how do you reset it? Would the light be white if in protection mode? I get no sound with the M1570 or HD6XX. I currently have no balanced cables.
Be mindful that the M1570 has a non-standard XLR pinout, and requires a compatible balanced cable. Monoprice does sell a XLR cable for the M1570, and Hart Audio can make one. I have the MP cable on mine.

If the M1570 owner goes for the MP cable, they have a 20CABLE code active currently for 20% off. It's worth having for the M1570, tho you may not be happy giving MP more money considering things.
Their cable is currently out of stock. Not sure if or when it may be in stock.

Thanks for the help thus far.

May 9, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #4,758 of 5,150
I just tried again and with volume at 100% it's playing very faint almost inaudible. So any suggestions on what it might be? The Dac is connected via RCA at fixed volume, again I have tried two different DAC's and two different headphones. I really am at a loss what caused this and what a possible solution would be.

May 9, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #4,759 of 5,150
I just tried again and with volume at 100% it's playing very faint almost inaudible. So any suggestions on what it might be? The Dac is connected via RCA at fixed volume, again I have tried two different DAC's and two different headphones. I really am at a loss what caused this and what a possible solution would be.

You know there's a button to swap between inputs right ? I know you probably do but it doesn't hurt to ask.

May 10, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #4,761 of 5,150
I'm currently using the 1/4" cable provided with the headphones. I'm sure the cable was fully and securely connected. If the amp is in protection mode how do you reset it? Would the light be white if in protection mode? I get no sound with the M1570 or HD6XX. I currently have no balanced cables.

I'm not an expert on the electronics tech side of things. I'm not able to troubleshoot why the amp would have gone into protection mode (or fried itself) in the way you described.

I don't know if a bad tube or damaged tube would have caused that behavior. I have seen new Electro Harmonix tubes come out of the box with bent pins or misaligned pins. So maybe a bad tube fried it or the tube was inserted incorrectly or not fully. Or... Or other reasons.

General things to be careful of when setting up the amp.

Don't plug in the barrel power connector while the power supply is plugged into the wall outlet. Plug the barrel connector in first, then plug in the power supply to the wall outlet. Barrel connectors can spark if you do it the other way. And that spark isn't good for the equipment.

Don't plug in RCA cables while the amp and DAC are powered on. Turn both amp and the DAC off (all the way off) and then plug in the RCA cables. Then turn things back on.

The manual also mentions some other setup and general best practices for an amp like this. And also has two paragraphs about the protection circuit.

One of the behaviors of the protection circuit is that it can get tripped if you insert or remove the 1/4" TRS plug while the amp is on and the volume turned up a bit. The manual gives a brief explanation of what's going on. The TRS connection can actually briefly short a channel as the wipers move over the tip ring and sleeve connections. And that brief short is enough to trip the LP protection circuit.

With the LP and using the 1/4" TRS headphones the best practice is to plug the headphones in while the amp is off. Turn the amp on while the headphones are connected. And turn the amp off when you want to disconnect to change headphones. All because the TRS plug can trip the protection circuit due to the design of the plug. The 4.4mm Pentaconn plug also has the same problem as the TRS plug.

That same care is not necessary when using the 4-pin XLR balanced connection. Because it is pretty much impossible to create that type of a channel connection short while inserting or removing the 4-pin XLR plug. When using balanced headphones with the LP (and LGx) I don't turn the amp off when swapping headphones. I just turn the volume down to zero. Swap headphones. And continue on listening. But with the 1/4" TRS plug I turn the amp off when swapping headphones. Yet another reason why balanced headphones are better and the 4-pin XLR is the superior balanced headphone connection.

Amazon sellers still have a few Liquid Platinum amps in stock. They're in stock and shipped by Amazon. If you still want an LP amp then order one from Amazon before they're gone and return the damaged amp back to the seller on Target.

If you're going to be using the LP with single-ended headphones using the 1/4" TRS jack then I would actually suggest getting a Schiit Lyr 3 instead. The LP is designed to be used with balanced headphones and sounds better with balanced headphones than it does with single-ended headphones. The Lyr 3 is a better hybrid amp choice if you're going to be using the 1/4" TRS jack.

May 10, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #4,762 of 5,150

I didn't know the M1570 had a non-standard XLR pinout. That's annoying. Why would they do that?

May 10, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #4,763 of 5,150
Amazon sellers still have a few Liquid Platinum amps in stock. They're in stock and shipped by Amazon. If you still want an LP amp then order one from Amazon before they're gone and return the damaged amp back to the seller on Target.
I already have a LP I bought in 2019 or 2020, I just couldn't pass up a second at that price. I appreciate your suggestions and experience and do as you say regarding using 1/4" jacks. I do intend on getting balanced cables. I'm just confused why I use the original amp with none of these problems. Unfortunately I'm stuck with this amp, I can't return it to Target and the seller was Monoprice. Monoprice won't take it back and won't honor the warranty since there is no units to replace it with. So at this point I'm stuck with a defective amp. I really don't think it was anything I did as I have this exact same amp for a few years now, the new one worked for 40 minutes with no problems and I would think if there was a fault it would never get to a white light. I'm still open to any possible solutions.

Thanks!

May 10, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,764 of 5,150
Do any of you run a fan under or on top of the LP to cool it ? It runs pretty warm/hot.

May 10, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #4,765 of 5,150
I already have a LP I bought in 2019 or 2020, I just couldn't pass up a second at that price. I appreciate your suggestions and experience and do as you say regarding using 1/4" jacks. I do intend on getting balanced cables. I'm just confused why I use the original amp with none of these problems. Unfortunately I'm stuck with this amp, I can't return it to Target and the seller was Monoprice. Monoprice won't take it back and won't honor the warranty since there is no units to replace it with. So at this point I'm stuck with a defective amp. I really don't think it was anything I did as I have this exact same amp for a few years now, the new one worked for 40 minutes with no problems and I would think if there was a fault it would never get to a white light. I'm still open to any possible solutions.

Thanks!
It depends how much you paid for it and whether or not it is worth around $100 to have someone in the field open it up and see if it is repairable.

May 10, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,766 of 5,150
Do any of you run a fan under or on top of the LP to cool it ? It runs pretty warm/hot.
I have my LP and LP DAC stacked - LP on top. It does get pretty warm, but it is unobstructed, so no fans. I have a 5 channel, 200 WPC Rotel amp (in a cabinet) w/another 2 Channel Rotel Amp stacked on it. I bought one fan to place between the two amps and another one above the other amp. It stays about 75 degrees when off and into the 80s when both are powered up.

May 10, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #4,767 of 5,150

Thanks!
Speak to a manager at Target.com and Monoprice. If the unit is under warranty, and they have no replacements, and cannot fix it, they should offer you a refund, like they did with others on this forum. Perhaps you can get a Refund Request letter from Monoprice so that Target would process it. As for the SE port, it could have gotten damaged from a short, or the protection tripped and is not opening back up. I would suggest you power down the amp, unplug the power brick from the wall, and let it sit for 20 minutes, to let it fully discharge. Then reconnect power and try again. Maybe that can get the protection circuit to open.

If nothing works, then either get it fixed via Cavalli's Authorized Servicing, or contact your credit card / payment service and request a charge back. Or do both, and let the charge back cover the cost of the repairs. :wink:

As for a M1570 cable, I know that Hart Audio and Periapt have the diagram for the M1570 and do make balanced cables for it on request. Just make sure you mention it's for a M1570. The alternative is to open the casing, and swap the 2 pins via soldering on both ports. This would allow you to use Audeze standard XLR cables. You may want to opt for the Hart Cable Disconnect system, this way you can get cables for several cans that you use, if you need to.

If I had the money, I would nab a 2nd LP while I can, but I do not. I suggest you do so while you can.

@Ham Sandwich Why did Monoprice do this? No idea, tho I suspect it was to have something different in case Audeze felt like suing for copying their gear. After all, it took them several years to get the balanced cable out to the public from them.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,768 of 5,150
Why would Audeze sue over a 4 pin mini XLR jack that is commonly used by ZMF and others ? Their planar cans are more different than alike when it comes to Audeze anyway aren't they ? More like sendy and other brands from what I can gather.

May 10, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,769 of 5,150
Audeze did not invent the mini-XLR headphone connector, let alone any XLR connector. This excerpt is from Wikipedia:
A664DA2E-E2E8-4462-9B65-6AAEA3D776FA.jpeg
Current makers of mini-XLR connectors, 3-pin or 4-pin, include Furutech, Neutrik, Rean. Audeze, like most headphone makers, outsources to such companies.

May 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #4,770 of 5,150
Question for the Russian tube lovers - I have a handful of '74 Reflektor SWGP silver shields, but one grey shield. Is there a big difference between the two? I don't know whether this lone tube is going to be 100% compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back