Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,936 of 5,169
I am incredibly disapointed. That’s my second replacement Liquid Platinum that is deffective with the same problem. The LP is simply not starting and it’s not coming from any problematic setting fro my part. I had tones of of amps before withiut any problem.
Has anybody had experience with replacing the amp with Moniprice AFTER the 30 day period ?
I’m nervous avout this I have to say...

Have any of the MP customer service people tried to diagnose the problem with you? It is extraordinarily unlikely that two amps in a row would fail like this. When you say they are not starting, what exactly are they doing?

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,937 of 5,169
Yeah, the value proposition of super expensive balanced attenuation is a head scratcher though.. for what those cost your half way or more to just buying a good quality balanced DAC with volume control. Some don't even cost as much as the attenuator. I guess if your matching it with a megabuck 2K+ dac (that does not have volume control) and a super expensive 2k+ amp, with 2K headphones, it might make sense to spend 600+$ on this overpriced attenuator. Otherwise, funds better spent elsewhere.

Another reason I really love the ADI-2.. I like the LP, but if I could only keep one device, it's a no brainer, the ADI-2 is exceptional for the money. You just get so much, no the amp's not as good as LP, but it's quite good in it's own right. (think THX789/Jotunheim) It's rather hard to fathom spending 600+$ on an attenuator if your not rocking a Yggy or Convert-2, or Crane song, or some other high end dac... of course convert and crane song have attenuation.. so scratch those, in fact most high end dac's do this already.

So usually, someone who's in the market for a 600$ attenuator like this also owns a high end dac or amp to go with it, else nothing makes sense, and most of said gear has gain switches and or volume attenuation. What a tiny market.. first you need a really high end amp that lacks gain, then you need a really good dac that also lacks gain control. Maybe some esoteric or vintage gear.. I dunno, tiny tiny use case.

The thought of pairing a 600$ attenuator with a Modi Multibit is lunacy though.
Well, I justified it because of the remote source selection/volume control, as well as the ability to drive two amps at once. I did have a (different) preamp prior to owning LP. And just to really out myself, my new preamp cost $810.

I guess I'm just lazy :)

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,938 of 5,169
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #1,939 of 5,169

Sorry, a bit late to the "risers" thread but I bought and like the Fitueyes glass risers, which are also stackable and buying 2-pack is cheaper than 2 singles if you think you need a couple of them (I bought 4 of them personally).
Just in case someone finds it useful b/c I spent a good deal of time to find these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fitueyes+monitor+stand

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #1,940 of 5,169
Hey gents, I've been getting questions about using 12AX7s or 12AU7s in the Platinum. I highly recommend that you do not do this. These tubes do not fall within any operating region that the Platinum is designed to handle.

Please keep in mind that the LP expects to see 6922s or equivalents (meaning very close operating points). It isn't reasonable to expect that it can take an arbitrary tube type and make it work. While it is not visible to you, what the LP has to do to bring some of these tubes into operation is outside of its safe operating area. As long as you stick to properly operating 6922s it will remain well within its safe operating regime.

Near arbitrary tube rolling is what the Liquid Glass was designed to do. :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,941 of 5,169
@runeight

Hi Alex,just a quick question while you are on this thread. If I am only using single ended output, does it make sense to upgrade from CTH to LP?

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #1,942 of 5,169
@runeight

Hi Alex,just a quick question while you are on this thread. If I am only using single ended output, does it make sense to upgrade from CTH to LP?

That depends. The SE output from these amps will have a slightly different sound and you may like the LP better. Or, if you think you'll be getting balanced headphone cables, then the LP would be a good move.

But if you know that you'll only ever be using SE out the LP is paying for performance that you will never be able to use. In that case the CTH gives you the better performance for the dollars you are spending.

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,943 of 5,169
Hey gents, I've been getting questions about using 12AX7s or 12AU7s in the Platinum. I highly recommend that you do not do this. These tubes do not fall within any operating region that the Platinum is designed to handle.

Please keep in mind that the LP expects to see 6922s or equivalents (meaning very close operating points). It isn't reasonable to expect that it can take an arbitrary tube type and make it work. While it is not visible to you, what the LP has to do to bring some of these tubes into operation is outside of its safe operating area. As long as you stick to properly operating 6922s it will remain well within its safe operating regime.

It’s confirmed. MCLG soon to be released. :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #1,946 of 5,169
Here's hoping for a Massdrop or Monoprice version of the Liquid Glass! (And the Liquid Gold, too.)

Here's hoping for a Massdrop or Monoprice version of the Liquid Glass! (And the Liquid Gold, too.)

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,947 of 5,169

This is why, I have been staying with 6922. Good to know, I have not done any damage to my "Baby". Thanks for clearing that up!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #1,948 of 5,169
Ha. Don't tempt me........I'm too old. :ksc75smile:

I'd love to see some of your higher end amps produced again.

Realistically, I understand that Massdrop's model is geared towards bulk buys and low prices but then I see how well the LP has done at Monoprice. People are buying the MCTH, MCLX, and last I checked the LP was sold out even with a price hike. So it looks like you're 3 out of 3 how about we make it 4 out of 4, lol.

If it helps, I have a $50 GC to Luby's. :)

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,949 of 5,169
I'd love to see some of your higher end amps produced again.

Realistically, I understand that Massdrop's model is geared towards bulk buys and low prices but then I see how well the LP has done at Monoprice. People are buying the MCTH, MCLX, and last I checked the LP was sold out even with a price hike. So it looks like you're 3 out of 3 how about we make it 4 out of 4, lol.

If it helps, I have a $50 GC to Luby's. :)

You must be a Texas boy if you have a gift certificate to Luby's. There is one not too far from me. :o2smile:

As for new stuff, just hang in...............

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #1,950 of 5,169
You forgot the Monoprice Liquid Spark. Alex is 4 for 4 already! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back