Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Dec 24, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #47 of 695
Anyone had a chance to compare the Liquid Gold to the Liquid Platinum? I would love to read your thoughts, or even first impressions. Thanks!

Working on it. The LauX is still burning in.

Dec 28, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #49 of 695
Monoprice website is saying 2.5.20 ETA. Earlier in this thread I read mid December. That is another 6 weeks... my neurotic mind will be doing circles waiting...:)

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #50 of 695
Answers to Rattle and Zachik.

The LP DAC uses an AK4499 4ch Chip. It will, obviously, be balanced with the expected complement of ins and outs. It will also, obviously, be in the same type enclosure for stacking. :)

As for LAuX and DAC output, I think this is a real estate issue. The rear panel is pretty much consumed with all the jacking that is there now.

And, LP without a DAC, there is simply no room to put one in because of the tubes and the needed tube supplies. The LAuX, OTOH, has the room for a fairly big daughter board that holds the DAC. Should any of you grab the LAuX you will see how it is all arranged.
Although I don't need a DAC, I am certainly happy to get an LAuX with one. Perhaps it will outclass my Vinshine R2R Reference. Win win! Super Excited to get one.

Dec 28, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #51 of 695
@runeight , Will. the LauX also sport the same AK4499 4ch Chip, that is on the LP DAC? If not, then what are the differences between the two Dac chips? Will the implementation of the DAC on the LauX equip it with SQ performance capabilities that compare favorably with those of the LP DAC?

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #52 of 695
@runeight , Will. the LauX also sport the same AK4499 4ch Chip, that is on the LP DAC? If not, then what are the differences between the two Dac chips? Will the implementation of the DAC on the LauX equip it with SQ performance capabilities that compare favorably with those of the LP DAC?

Good question.

There has been some confusion on the DAC chips due to a typo or error somewhere in the data stream. Here is the AKM DAC part for each of the new products.

Spark DAC 1pc 2ch AK4493EQ Running single Ended

Gold X DAC 1pc 2ch AK4493EQ Running Balanced

Platinum DAC 1pc 4ch AK4499EQ Running Balanced

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #53 of 695
Gold X DAC 1pc 2ch AK4493EQ Running Balanced
If only it had line-out to feed the LP...
(I saw your explanation about no room on back panel for the extra RCA pair, but one can still complain :wink:)

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #55 of 695
Headphones that are typically used with an $1,000 and up headphone amp are terminated with a 4 bin balanced or 1/4" unbalanced connection.

Even the original and much larger Liquid Gold did not have a 1/8" jack. In addition to the 4 pin balanced connection, It had two other jacks that were double duty. You could use them together for left and right channel 3 pin balanced connections. You could also use them as 1/4" unbalanced, with one being for headphones requiring low power and the other for those which demanded high power.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #56 of 695
What about having a single 1/8 inch stereo jack? That wouldn't take much space, people could use an adapter to get it into something else.

Headphones that are typically used with an $1,000 and up headphone amp are terminated with a 4 bin balanced or 1/4" unbalanced connection.

Even the original and much larger Liquid Gold did not have a 1/8" jack. In addition to the 4 pin balanced connection, It had two other jacks that were double duty. You could use them together for left and right channel 3 pin balanced connections. You could also use them as 1/4" unbalanced, with one being for headphones requiring low power and the other for those which demanded high power.

I believe @greenkiwi was responding to my complaint about not having a line out from internal DAC to feed other amps. Nobody wants 1/8" headphone Jack :wink:

Jan 1, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #58 of 695
@Zachik -- exactly. Sorry, I should have quoted for more context. I was thinking that one could place an 1/8" jack on the back to allow the line out from the DAC to be exposed and used by other devices, such as the LP.
Unfortunately, looks like the design is already frozen, so unlikely we see that...
Honestly, I have a very good DAC, so would rather pay $200 less and get a Liquid Gold without a DAC at all.

Jan 1, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #59 of 695
Unfortunately, looks like the design is already frozen, so unlikely we see that...
Honestly, I have a very good DAC, so would rather pay $200 less and get a Liquid Gold without a DAC at all.

Well judging from the price fluctuations of the LP on the market, I bet if you're willing to wait it out a few months, the price of the LauX too might drop to $200 less than retail at some point, especially if you're willing to buy it open box of B-stock from Monoprice. It would still come with a superfluous DAC, but I bet that wouldn't matter to you any longer at that price.

At any rate this is the strategy I might adopt toward the LauX myself, unless something in the initial reviews make it an urgent early adopter buy. I do not expect that to happen since I have the LP to hold me over while I wait.

Jan 1, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #60 of 695
Well judging from the price fluctuations of the LP on the market, I bet if you're willing to wait it out a few months, the price of the LauX too might drop to $200 less than retail at some point, especially if you're willing to buy it open box of B-stock from Monoprice. It would still come with a superfluous DAC, but I bet that wouldn't matter to you any longer at that price.
After couple horror stories I have read, I HIGHLY recommend NOT buying open box from Monoprice!
People literally got broken DOA units from their open-box sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back