Money no object, what would you buy for cans and stack?
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious, getting into head-fi world here. Not a hi-fier yet by any means (Schiit stack and hd600's). But if money were no object, what would you buy as regarding DAC, AMP and cans? Just wondering what I should buy if I win the lottery! Give approximate prices as well in descriptions of ultimate setup! And give description of source material (flacs, records, etc). Using tidal hifi plus here. Sub-optimal I know but will have to do for now.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 39
I've had a chance to use a couple hundred headphones up to $2k. If budget wasn't a problem I'd get:
Hifiman Arya Stealth
Topping A30 Pro and D30 Pro which has full power on both connectors.

I have a couple of A90s including the A90d, but don't like them more. Tech has come so far, no need to break the bank.

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 39
Ive tried a couple different stacks and they dont interest me. If they have the functionalities and the power needed they should sound the same. However a crappy tube amp with loads of distortion does sound fun for certain headphones.

For me headphones are all about serving a purpose, so Id probably go for a Beyer t1 for my gaming needs (900 euros). And a He1000 stealth v2 (1200-1500 or so) for music since thats the best ive been able to try thus far, even when comparing them to other heavy hitters like the hd800s, hd8xx, ZMF Auteur and focal clear.

Id probably also create nice collection of iems, starting with a Dunu sa6 (500 or so?) since its very comfortable and a Campfire andromeda (1.2k) just to experience the soundstage

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 39
Can’t choose just one. But today:

DAC: Dave
Amp: Pass Int-25
Cans: Rall CA-1a w/ filter
Source: WAV or DSD-512
Speakers: MBL 101-Xtreme w mono Pass XA-200 Monoblocks

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 39
DAC: mola mola tambaqui ($8-13.5k)
A Sennheiser HE-1 ($60k) or just a Blue Hawaii ($5-8k; there is more expensive newer stuff but I love this amp) with multiple electrostat cans like DCA Corina ($3.7-4.5k), Stax x9000 ($4.5-6.5k), and Shang ri La Sr ($18k)

Realistically, I'll prob end up with a Holo May --> Blue Hawaii --> Corina some day if I can't quit this drug of a "hobby" in time. I'll put it in my living room next to my scotch shelf and espresso machine and make people stare at it when they come over.

Already reached my end game with more traditional gear other than potentially upgrading my Pontus for minimal gains but I'm not doing that on a blind buy in my system. I've briefly demoed multiple 5 figure DACs in none-home settings and really wasn't impressed. Maybe add in an Elite and Susvara and feel less guilty about owning so many expensive headphones I don't have time for. Past that I'm getting into the world of expensive speakers if money is truly no object.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 39
Thanks for replies so far! Something to aspire to! Keep them coming! Not sure if my ears could hear anything better, otherwise they'd start bleeding!

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 39
Will start a separate thread for IEM's, but so far this is for full-size headphones (mostly open!). Have never even heard of most of the DAC's, amps, or cans here so far. So some research needed! Happy listening all!

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 39
Yepp well HE1's at 570k nok is a bit rich! For the billionaires only. Thinking more realistic from 2-10k usd or something, not the price of a house.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 39
Well HE1's were around 60-70k usd with own amplifier last I checked, so not realistic. Just for stupid rich people. Looking at hi-fi headphones from 1k-5k. And stack in the thousands, not tens of thousands! So realistically achievable for 'normal people'.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 39
If we set a realistic limit for people after a 'hi-fi' experience of 10-20k usd. And leaning towards the lower limit of 10k. Most people won't want to spend more than that. Should be able to get something decent! for those monies!

Nov 2, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 39
You should change the title of the thread, since you are changing the content.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 39
You should change the title of the thread, since you are changing the content.
My bad! But the Sennheisers were a bit too much. Not realistic for most people.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 39
The thread is what it is..So people's can still post about he1's and all that. But needed to get it down to a more human level. Something achievable! Still good thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back