Mona Lisa and your invoked emotions
Oct 1, 2020 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
Since music is an art, I would think that painting too is going to be another interesting topic.

Just like music, paintings do invoke feelings and emotions out of the viewers.

So, I have created this topic in hope that people would share with me what is their feelings when looked at this very famous painting. It could be from close counterfeit, google images, and not necessarily real life authentic encounter. If you could share of any detailed details about your feelings, it would be great

I will start it first. Since I was a little boy, I heard of this portrait, and I couldn’t really looked at her. This feelings has been with me since and even as a grown up person, it still remained, but only become less intense. The feelings is that of “Horrors”.

I love horror movies, I love reading creepy story, mystery...etc. However, when looking at Mona Lisa. I felt like if she was a real person, the next thing would happened to me was that I would be killed. To me personally, her smile is very threatening, to inflict great harm with real and authentic intentions. Even though she is only a painting.

So, what is your story ? Thank you
7E34401E-B083-4B8C-BE57-A08A3129AB96.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 14
It’s an incredible painting and I’ve seen it in person in Paris. It can be interpreted any way you want it to be.

To me, she is beautiful and the type of person that can be younger than you and you have a crush on her.

Or she can be an older person like an older sister and you obey her orders.

The painting can be in an old mansion with dark wood interior in a cigar and whiskey room

Or it can be in a beautiful summer house with flowers. It’s such a versatile painting. It’s a masterpiece

Oct 2, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 14
Hyped. I don't see the significance of the painting besides being told in grade school that it's famous. It just looks like an old painting that depiction of reality has not been fully realized. What I'm curious about is when was the point of realization of accurate depiction of reality?

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 14
Back in the days, the artists didn't have good insights into proportions of humans, and I recall seeming painting with babies in it that looked like a miniature adult. lol

It seemed like it was only logical to just scale adults to small size, and whala! Babies! lol They didn't know that babies just had different features and characteristics.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 14
I remember learning that originally a great painting (the highest) was of a person or group of people, lower down were landscapes and below that 'still life' paintings. Everything at one time was compared to the Greek classical forms and their ratios. It wasn't until much later, the Renaissance?, that experts began to class other types of work as masters. Unbelievably Carravagio initially wasn't very well regarded as a painter, only much later was his genius universally recognised (see his painting Supper At Emmaus).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 14
I remember learning that originally a great painting (the highest) was of a person or group of people, lower down were landscapes and below that 'still life' paintings. Everything at one time was compared to the Greek classical forms and their ratios. It wasn't until much later, the Renaissance?, that experts began to class other types of work as masters. Unbelievably Carravagio initially wasn't very well regarded as a painter, only much later was his genius universally recognised (see his painting Supper At Emmaus).
Yeah, I think by Renaissance, artist knew how babies should be drawn. lol But, even in the Renaissance, I can't help but notice that the representation is still distant from reality. I can't imagine people actually looking like how they are represented in the paintings. The personifications look quite stylized than reality.

When we look at Leonardo's sketchbook, we know he was very observant. He studied how human anatomy should be expressed. He probably could have drawn human body based on what he knew in his mind from all his studies (just like some of the top comic book artists).

You can see all the nuances he pays attention to. I find such observance very impressive.

1_QUCh5rqOO9YhtOiHHWsWBQ.jpegdownload.jpg

He was a very visually developed human being. He could imagine mechanics in his head and express it in paper.
daVinci_sketch_cc_01.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, I think by Renaissance, artist knew how babies should be drawn. lol But, even in the Renaissance, I can't help but notice that the representation is still distant from reality. I can't imagine people actually looking like how they are represented in the paintings. The personifications look quite stylized than reality.

When we look at Leonardo's sketchbook, we know he was very observant. He studied how human anatomy should be expressed. He probably could have drawn human body based on what he knew in his mind from all his studies (just like some of the top comic book artists).

You can see all the nuances he pays attention to. I find such observance very impressive.

He was a very visually developed human being. He could imagine mechanics in his head and express it in paper.

Leonardo was exceptional in that he studied how things worked to be better able to represent them, including dissecting bodies to be able to depict them with great accuracy, he was an early scientist.

It amazes me how they were able to get what they needed for mixing the colours, which must've been an art in itself.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Since music is an art, I would think that painting too is going to be another interesting topic.

Just like music, paintings do invoke feelings and emotions out of the viewers.

So, I have created this topic in hope that people would share with me what is their feelings when looked at this very famous painting. It could be from close counterfeit, google images, and not necessarily real life authentic encounter. If you could share of any detailed details about your feelings, it would be great

I will start it first. Since I was a little boy, I heard of this portrait, and I couldn’t really looked at her. This feelings has been with me since and even as a grown up person, it still remained, but only become less intense. The feelings is that of “Horrors”.

I love horror movies, I love reading creepy story, mystery...etc. However, when looking at Mona Lisa. I felt like if she was a real person, the next thing would happened to me was that I would be killed. To me personally, her smile is very threatening, to inflict great harm with real and authentic intentions. Even though she is only a painting.

So, what is your story ? Thank you
7E34401E-B083-4B8C-BE57-A08A3129AB96.jpeg
2020 we have the doubt meme with the same expression :)

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 14
I saw it in person. I was surprised how small it is. I was expecting it it be like 3x that size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back