Momentum vs. M-100
Mar 8, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:
Yeah. The K550 is completely different from the Momentum. It's a lot more clean and neutral vs the Momentum's V shaped sound. A great looking can that I'd love to own if it weren't for the non-detachable cable and poor fit on my head because they're huge.

K551 has detachable cords! =P & I've heard of a lot of people getting a better fit by doing gently bending the headband.

if you stop thinking so much, maybe your head will shrink :wink: 

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:
The momentums are actually more closer to neutral then V shaped. There good headphones a little overpriced i think but just great overall i really enjoyed them.

I obviously don't have the terminology completely down. Compared to the K550, the Momentum has more emphasis on its bass and treble. How is that described?

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

I obviously don't have the terminology completely down. Compared to the K550, the Momentum has more emphasis on its bass and treble. How is that described?

If you are unsure of how to use those terms, or if your description is purely a comparative statement to the K550, you can say what you have just said: 'Compared to the K550, the Momentum has more emphasis on its bass and treble'. I think such a statement would be more helpful than to make a sweeping generalization which unintentionally conveyed a false information.

An easier way would be to just look at the graph. The highs in the Momentum are actually more laid-back than the K550.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

If you are unsure of how to use those terms, or if your description is purely a comparative statement to the K550, you can say what you have just said: 'Compared to the K550, the Momentum has more emphasis on its bass and treble'. I think such a statement would be more helpful than to make a sweeping generalization which unintentionally conveyed a false information.

An easier way would be to just look at the graph. The highs in the Momentum are actually more laid-back than the K550.

I've re-read my statement and think it is exclaiming it to be comparative. Looks like a perception issue to me. I mean it one way and it's perceived another way. I suppose that's my fault for not being entirely clear enough and I took that responsibility above. As for the graph, I don't really care what it shows as I've read time and time again on this here forum that they should not be used as the end-all be-all measurement to describe a signature. Maybe a good starting point, but far from anything definitive (if definitive even exists in this hobby). From my experience in the last two week with both of them, my opinion is the bass and the treble of the Momentum are a fair amount more colored than it is on the K550. There's no need to say I'm "conveyed a false information" with that statement. Let's assume a little good faith here.

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:
Although I like the bass in the Momentum, I prefer the more balanced sound of the 1R as opposed to the U-shape of the Momentum.

Quote:
There's definitely more color with the bass in the Momentum. More prominent for sure. I would say it's the same for the treble. That's where I get the U-shape from (V-shape?).

Quote:
Yeah. The K550 is completely different from the Momentum. It's a lot more clean and neutral vs the Momentum's V shaped sound.

I am looking back at your original post trying to see where you are coming from and it seems like you are saying that Momentum has a V-shape sound (on its own) rather than in comparison to something else, not sure it be the MDR1R, M100, or K550 since the adjective 'V-shape' appears in all your comments.

I have an extensive experience with the Momentum and I have done comparison on it with the Amperior, HD25-1 II, M100, MDR1R, ESW11LTD, ESW10JPN as well as many other full-size cans and in no way does the Momentum has a recessed mids (this is what V-shape sound is). The FR graph only reaffirms what I heard and I did not solely rely on it instead of my listening experience to make my claim that I do not find the Momentum to be V-shape sounding.

Will be interesting to know what gears are you using to drive the Momentum.

Mar 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

I've re-read my statement and think it is exclaiming it to be comparative. Looks like a perception issue to me. I mean it one way and it's perceived another way. I suppose that's my fault for not being entirely clear enough and I took that responsibility above. As for the graph, I don't really care what it shows as I've read time and time again on this here forum that they should not be used as the end-all be-all measurement to describe a signature. Maybe a good starting point, but far from anything definitive (if definitive even exists in this hobby). From my experience in the last two week with both of them, my opinion is the bass and the treble of the Momentum are a fair amount more colored than it is on the K550. There's no need to say I'm "conveyed a false information" with that statement. Let's assume a little good faith here.

hahaha. good deal. no need to apologize lol! I personally don't think you really said anything incorrect. v-shaped is not usually what I think of when I think of Momentums, but they are definitely slightly colored, so compared to the AKG K550, I can see how you can think that :)

I've haven't been able to do a direct side-by-side comparison of the AKG 550 & the Momentums, but yea, basically what you say about the Momentums sounding more colored than the AKG 550 is generally what I've heard people who do side-by-side comparison say. My friend thinks that the AKG 550 has more emphasis on the treble compared to the Momentums when he tried them as reflected by that coolio sound graph, but I think that can also be due to the Momentum's slight bass boost over the AKG 550.

Anyways, good read! I always love reading other people's comparisons/opinions :) heh 

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #24 of 41
Hi there, a newbie here.

I own the M-100 and had the chance to compare it with the Momentum. I struggled to decide between the two of them, but finally M-100 foldability won me over, as it makes it truly portable, which is what I was looking for. ( I can put it in my jacket's pocket and forget they are there).

Soundwise, as said, Momentum is more balanced than the M-100. I found the M-100 bass more "fun", though, for portable use. Both have really really great detail in mids and highs.

I found Soundstage was bigger in the M-100 but not much. I listen to many genres so I think I actually prefer Momentum's sound signature. I use the M-100 at my office and some eq works fine.

Confortwise, I didn't find the Momentum pad confortable. Is small, I would say is almost "On ear". I think it would completely ruin my experience (I might have bigger-than-average ears...?). M-100 confort is just fine. XL pads for M-100 are being developed so hopefully confort will be improved.

May 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 41
[size=10pt]Ive had both momentums and m100s and comparing both comfort wise, the momentums are more comfortable for a longer period of time. The m100s drivers rest on the cartilage of my ears and gave my ears a tingly sensation after about an hour of wear. Luckily my ears are small enough for the momentums to fit perfectly on my ears so they are pretty comfortable. This is the biggest reason I choose the momentums over the m100, but since they are creating new XL cushions for the m100s I may have to check them out again. [/size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #27 of 41
I listen to heavy metal, hard rock, thrash metal, death metal,hiphop, rap and vi,olin.SQ wise, how is the momentum better than the m100?The m100 is better in all other areas, right??i'm looking for an all rounder for sound quality

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:
Do the m-100s necessarily need an amp?? Can I listen to them straight out of an ipod without compromising on the sound quality??

The M100 is meant to be an extremely efficient can that can run off of portable devices. You do not need an amp for these to sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back