Mogwai
Feb 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

golgi

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my first Mogwai album today. It's their latest one called Mr. Beast. I'm extremely impressed! I'll definitely be buying more of their albums...escpecially Young Team. I bough Mr. Beast on vinyl and it's grrrrreat!

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 24
In my opinion Mogwai has yet to release a bad album
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want a quieter side of Mogwai you should check out the soundtrack Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait.

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 24
I agree, mr. beast is a great album (even if it's nothing revolutionary).
And the live sets are incredible.

I suggest you to look at band like explosions in the sky if you like this kind of music.

Feb 15, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by golgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my first Mogwai album today. It's their latest one called Mr. Beast. I'm extremely impressed! I'll definitely be buying more of their albums...escpecially Young Team. I bough Mr. Beast on vinyl and it's grrrrreat!

Mr. Beast on vinyl is ridiculous! I need to source out a bunch of their other stuff on vinyl as well. Others I like...GYBE, the Album Leaf, Amusement Parks On Fire.

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zidane, as in the football player? I'll look for it. I see they used a couple of Mogwai songs in that Miami Vice movie.

Yup the great Zidane.

I'd actually get this last since it's expensive to import. And like someone mentioned most of the Mogwai live soundboard stuff sounds very good. Their Peel Sessions set is one of my favorites.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 24
I actually never REALLY got into Mogwai.. they're not bad or anything, it just doesn't do anything for me - except the 1st track on Mr Beast; Auto-Rock, that track is outstanding.
Saw 'em live a few months back cause people are raving on how incredible their live show is.. sadly, I had to restrain myself from leaving.
I much rather prefer putting on an album by GY!BE for example.

Feb 15, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 24
I really could not get into Mr. Beast.

Although I've been a fan since their early days, I never thought of their albums as great - but I've always believed they had the potential and the closest to great that they've gotten so far in (my opinion) "Happy Songs For Happy People" which is a very good album. Still not the masterpiece I've always expected but I recommend it.

Mr. Beast to me treads territory that is too familiar. It reminds me of GBYE's Yanqui U.X.O. - if it were a first album by a new band I'd be impressed but it's just more of the same old thing and it's getting stale.

But I'm glad you like it! You should really pick up:

Happy Songs For Happy People (their most consistent - it's the only album that doesn't feel too long)
Come On Die Young (a good album but tends to drag a bit)
Young Team (same as above)

And you should look into these:

"The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place" by Explosions In the Sky - A very good album, not as dynamically varied as Mogwai but to me the songs carry more emotion!

"Walking Cloud and Deep Red Sky" by Mono - takes a few listens to get into, but worth it for 2 tracks on the album.

"The Sea And The Bells" by Rachels - Leaning more towards classical/chamber music than "guitar post-rock" but good.

"Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" by Godspeed You Black Emperor - first track is one of the most beautiful and moving tracks you'll ever hear. TRUST ME.

"All Is Violent, All Is Bright" by God Is An Astronaut

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 24
Russian circles are quite good too, they are slightly more aggressive than mogwai but the drummer is a machine, he's amazing!

Although I must say the Godspeed albums are a must and should be the top of your "to get" list
smily_headphones1.gif

And Do Make Say Think have just released another album which is ruddy good too.

Welcome to post-rock
rs1smile.gif

Feb 16, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 24
Thanks for those recommendations. I'm going to check them out today.
Other bands that I've recently discovered and really love:

This Will Destroy You
Band of Horses
My Morning Jacket
Pelican
Brightblack Morning Light

I'm not sure of which genre these all fall into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back