Modular headphones?
Jul 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

darkswordsman17

500+ Head-Fier
So, I got to thinking, why aren't there any modular headphones? By this I mean ones that have fairly easily switchable cups and earpads? We all know how much fit impacts sound quality, and IEMs are basically designed around this idea, so why hasn't it carried over to full size headphones?

I don't think it'd be too difficult to build a business model around either. Make a solid frame with a good driver, then allow people to choose what parts they want from there. Want it to be open? Wood cups? Different cables (length, type, etc). Really you could even go further and offer different driver setups (adjust the distance from your ear, angle of the driver). You could reap the benefits of greater economies of scale while being able to offer more customization.

Oftentimes I would like the same general sound signature, but maybe one day I want more bass and another day I want more balance. I would think there's plenty of others who do as well, and so it seems like an untapped market. If prices were right it would be very popular and I think quite a few people would consider buying more accessories instead of an all new headphone.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 16
This is indeed a great idea!
smily_headphones1.gif
Sennheiser, Grado, etc take a look at this thread :p

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 16
Ooh that is a great idea!

Haha I should try that next summer if I find a good driver to mess around.

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 16
Wouldn't it be a nightmare designing all the parts so that the different permutations have the right sonic qualities?

Angled/not angled, closed/not closed, different pads, headbands and whatnot.

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 16
Well, if you have 1 headphone for 'everything' Headphone manufactory's will sell less headphones.. wich is a bad thing for them :p
So i dont think it will ever happen D=

But the idea is perfect! I would love to have one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is indeed a great idea!
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think so.

The whole design of the capsule, damping, etc. is different if it is open or closed.

The materials used change the resonant characteristics.

Headphones are an integral design - I can't see how this would work as described.

What *would* work, though, is to design various styles of headband with a standard capsule fitting.

Have various designs of capsules; open closed, wood, metal, etc. that can all fit on the headbands with the standard fitting.

Then choose your cable - balanced, unbalanced, cheap, standard, expensive, ludicrously expensive, etc...

So - choose: headband - capsules - cable.

This is the only way it would work.

But it would be a lot more expensive than headphones as they are now.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so.

The whole design of the capsule, damping, etc. is different if it is open or closed.

The materials used change the resonant characteristics.

Headphones are an integral design - I can't see how this would work as described.

What *would* work, though, is to design various styles of headband with a standard capsule fitting.

Have various designs of capsules; open closed, wood, metal, etc. that can all fit on the headbands with the standard fitting.

Then choose your cable - balanced, unbalanced, cheap, standard, expensive, ludicrously expensive, etc...

So - choose: headband - capsules - cable.

This is the only way it would work.

But it would be a lot more expensive than headphones as they are now.

Sennheiser Woodies, Sennheiser Woody, Sennheiser Cable, Senn V2

Sennheisers sound nice in both way's, but different ,even if the HD6x0 was designed like a open headphone.

The idea is great.. hard to be seen in the near future, that's right, but i'm sure that we will see it, from skullcandy at least
biggrin.gif

I was not saying that I want best sound in all the combinations possible, I want tweaking the sound, I want it to change, a different presentation, not the best, not even a better one from each other, just different (I think that's what an audiophile is searching after all)

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was not saying that I want best sound in all the combinations possible, I want tweaking the sound, I want it to change, a different presentation, not the best, not even a better one from each other, just different (I think that's what an audiophile is searching after all)

have you tried tube rolling?
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you tried tube rolling?
tongue_smile.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
Yes I have tried but none will change sound in such a dramatic way like mods of headphones (closed sennheisers are my best example, it may be others, like beyerdynamic but I don't know)

And just for now I will stay away from tube amps, since I travel allot and those amps are not born travelers
smily_headphones1.gif

For now I'll just keep buying different headphones. (Hope HF-2 will arrive safe and unharmed, it will be my first grado)

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #14 of 16
It's a great idea. It puts the choices into the hands of the consumer. That doesn't mean that every configuration is equal. It just means that people get to take more ownership of something they're supposed to own in the first place.

Jul 18, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Must say I really like the idea.
Different headband, pads, cable, connectors, cups, angle of drivers, colors, and like.

Unsure about the change between open- and closed-back cups though, as the tuning of the transducer, chamber, .. would be totally wrong.
But if we were to choose our "ideal" configuration, then the vendor take this into consideration when installing the driver and tuning it all, then I may be all in.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back