Modifying my computer rig! Need apparatus and I don't know if it exists (or what its called)...
Apr 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
Right now I output my audio from my iMac to a small Yamaha receiver that powers my speakers and sub.  I listen to the speakers when I can, but when the girlfriend is around I have to use my headphones (from the Yamaha).

I would like to get a DAC\amp or just a headphone amp into the mix.  I don't want to get rid of the receiver.  I'm imagining something like iMac >> S/PDIF out >> APPARATUS (to split signal) >> split signal from apparatus with a switch that will send the signal to either the receiver or the headphone amp or dac. 

So, is there a device that can split the signal? 

If I opt for a DAC (I guess it would have to be USB), could this work?  

iMac >>  USB >> DAC >>   APPARATUS >> AMP or Receiver.  

How about this?

iMac >>  USB  >>   APPARATUS >> DAC/AMP or Receiver. 

Thanks in advance for any information you guys might provide.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Use the receiver's analog/rca out to hook up to a headphone amp? Leverage the DAC on the receiver 
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #3 of 4
I use a Maverick D1 DAC/Amp.  PC>Maverick (via USB)>Pre (via RCA)>amp (via RCA).  I also have my CDP>Maverick (via spdif) so I can listen to my CDP thru my headphones or utilize the Maverick DAC and my CDP as a transport thru my speakers.  If I want to listen to my headphones I just turn the volume up on the Maverick and either leave the pre & amp off (your receiver) or turn the volume down to '0'.  If I want to listen to the speakers, I turn on the pre/amp and turn up the volume.  I normally leave the 'bypass' switch engaged on the Maverick.  The 'bypass' switch bypasses the Maverick's volume control and passes the full signal to your pre/amp or receiver.  It's very versatile, has a tube and SS output via RCA's, optical in, digital in, and RCA in.  It's not the perfect DAC or amp, but it works well and you can not only roll tubes, but also opamps.  I use mine with a pair of AKG Q701's and enjoy it very much.  It also has the upgraded tube and I upgraded the headphone opamp.  I bought an OPAMP for the DAC side, but liked the original better.  Good Luck!

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
I use a Maverick D1 DAC/Amp.  PC>Maverick (via USB)>Pre (via RCA)>amp (via RCA).  I also have my CDP>Maverick (via spdif) so I can listen to my CDP thru my headphones or utilize the Maverick DAC and my CDP as a transport thru my speakers.  If I want to listen to my headphones I just turn the volume up on the Maverick and either leave the pre & amp off (your receiver) or turn the volume down to '0'.  If I want to listen to the speakers, I turn on the pre/amp and turn up the volume.  I normally leave the 'bypass' switch engaged on the Maverick.  The 'bypass' switch bypasses the Maverick's volume control and passes the full signal to your pre/amp or receiver.  It's very versatile, has a tube and SS output via RCA's, optical in, digital in, and RCA in.  It's not the perfect DAC or amp, but it works well and you can not only roll tubes, but also opamps.  I use mine with a pair of AKG Q701's and enjoy it very much.  It also has the upgraded tube and I upgraded the headphone opamp.  I bought an OPAMP for the DAC side, but liked the original better.  Good Luck!

Thanks.  This sounds like it could work.

I'm reading about the Maverick...now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back