Modified RSA Hornet Impressions?
Jun 6, 2006 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

aluren

Headphoneus Supremus
I was reading the thread where Ray Samuels first announced the Hornet:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=hornet

Some recent posts Ray made suggested that he could tweak the Hornet to give it a more laid back sound rather than the punchy forwardness of the original Hornet. He even said that the soundstage might be bigger than the SR-71. has anybody heard this newly modified Hornet??

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 69
I believe Ray offered to modify the sound then decided to stick with the sound the way it is. Personally I thought I'd really like an SR-71 sounding type of Hornet. Turns out, I love the Hornet just the way it sounds.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 69
oh he pulled the modification off?? i thought he offerred it, pulled it, then offered it again... since the last post on that thread was that he's ordered the necessary chip to change the sound...

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 69
Ray is now offering a modification to the hornet. Mine will be going back this week for the mod, which if it increases the soundstage is an upgrade for me.

Check his thread for the hornet in the makers mall.

Steve

Jun 6, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 69
is this modification free? i don't see anything on his website... this mod seems interesting to me and i wouldn't mind getting one. i just hope that its not another $50 extra...

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
is this modification free? i don't see anything on his website... this mod seems interesting to me and i wouldn't mind getting one. i just hope that its not another $50 extra...

Hi aluren...
I always give all the parts & labor free of charge when I up-grade my amps.
Cost is $15.00 inthe USA which covers shipping it back to you with insurance.
Cost $30.00 for the owners out of the USA. If sending pay-pal please make sure to cover pay-pal fee.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Jun 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
Hi aluren...
I always give all the parts & labor free of charge when I up-grade my amps.
Cost is $15.00 inthe USA which covers shipping it back to you with insurance.
Cost $30.00 for the owners out of the USA. If sending pay-pal please make sure to cover pay-pal fee.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Thanks Ray, that's more than fair. Personally I love the Hornet as it is! The soundstage is great when used with a headphone that has soundstage
biggrin.gif

Blaine.

Jun 7, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 69
I got my hornet about a month and, after burn it in for 400+ hours, it sounds likes what i want to hear, awesome for me. Looking forward to someone who get the first upgrade hornet and post his impression. I will see what happen with this little amp?

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 69
Wow, hadn't seen that. Good news for some I suppose. For me, I'm keeping what I have. I love the Hornet sound and wouldn't want to change it. The Hornet can do rock and roll like no other.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 69
Anyone else gone for the mod or is it just me?

According to online tracking my Hornet should be with Ray now so depending on the parts being there I hope to get news on it's upgrade soon.

Hopefully it'll be back in the UK for the London meets so we can compare the modded versus original sound, and more importantly for me the difference between the Hornet(s) & SR71.

Steve

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 69
yeah somebody please compare them to the SR-71. i doubt its gonna be the exact same sound as the SR-71 cuz otherwise no one will buy the SR-71 seeing as the hornet is smaller, has a charger, longer battery life... anxious to read people's impressions...

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 69
Oh this is really good news! I've been waiting for this to happen. Will I only have to send away the amp? I'm not sure if I still have the original packaging!

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
yeah somebody please compare them to the SR-71. i doubt its gonna be the exact same sound as the SR-71 cuz otherwise no one will buy the SR-71 seeing as the hornet is smaller, has a charger, longer battery life... anxious to read people's impressions...

Unless the circuit is changing a lot, it's probably not going to sound like the SR-71. Presumably, Ray is going to want to keep separate sound signatures between them, anyhow.

Jun 18, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 69
Anyone?

I just bought a Hornet and am about 20 hours into it.. I'm pretty happy with what it's doing, but I've got a strong feeling that I'm not even close to the mark of what this little bugger will/can do (either fully "burned/broken in"; or upgraded/modified by R.S.)

Dying for some impressions!
tongue.gif

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 69
Received modified Hornet back home yesterday and after a few sample tracks last night and switching backwards & forwards between the SR71 and the Hornet I'm finding it hard to spot the big differences. But this was only using my UM2s as these are what I'll be using it with. I hate trying to do quick A/B switching for comparisons I tend to trust my preference after living with the amp for a week and then switching back. I'll give both the Hornet & SR71 a sesson with some other cans tonight to see what if anything jumps out at me.

Put me on the spot and ask which sounds better and I'd have said the SR71 last night but I need to give the Hornet a few days to settle in.

I'll be taking both to the London mini-meet this Saturday so expect a few other viewpoints between the two. Not sure there will be a run in original spec hornet there but if there is and we have some golden ears attending we'll report on the modification(s).

I'm surprised no-one else has gone for the upgrade, or have they?

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back