Modi Multibit or something else?
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Napalmhardcore

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking at upgrading various parts of my audio setup. I'll be getting a pair of HD600s and I've narrowed down my amp choices. Where I am struggling is with DAC selection.

I heard about the Modi multibit when it was announced, but it seems that there aren't many reviews and none from prolific/pro reviewers (if there are, I haven't found them). I thought the Modi multibit would get a lot of attention simply due to it being a multibit DAC at such a low price from a company with a good track record when it comes to affordable amps and DACs. What I did notice when searching is (what seems to me like) a lot of them up for sale. This has alarm bells ringing.

I've never bought a stand alone DAC before, so I'm not really in a position to judge how good a DAC is (compared to competing products). With that in mind, should I be looking at something in the same price bracket that has more reviews from professional/respected reviewers, or would passing up a Multibit DAC at the price it sells for be foolish?

If you were looking for a DAC in this price range, what would you go for?

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 17
I've heard from many I trust say the Mimby is a very good value. Some say it is better than the Bimby at certain things don't know about that but still is a good dac. You'll have to pry the Yggy along with my guns from my cold dead hands.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 17
I've heard from many I trust say the Mimby is a very good value. Some say it is better than the Bimby at certain things don't know about that but still is a good dac. You'll have to pry the Yggy along with my guns from my cold dead hands.

What would you say its closest rivals are? I've read a couple of reviews that state that the extra cost over the Modi 2 Uber is justified (which is allegedly slightly better than the regular Modi/Modi 2). That price takes it into competition with different DACs to the regular Modi 2 Uber though. When I search for "Modi Multibit vs" I find plenty of results for the older versions (which mostly gets compared to the ODAC) but not much info on how the multibit stands up to competing products in that price range.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 17
I don't own one so can't say for sure but I believe there is not too many comparisons as for there aren't many.

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 17
I don't own one so can't say for sure but I believe there is not too many comparisons as for there aren't many.

OK, thanks. I might hold off until more people review it/compare it to other products. Maybe something even better will come along in the meantime.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for that. Kind of frustrating that everybody is all hiding on one thread as it means you have to dig through so much just to get impressions and reviews. When I looked last, the last three pages were mostly dedicated to talking about the definition of warming up a DAC (whether it's just an expression for having it on for a while or whether it means to literally heat it). I'd come across that thread before in the past and couldn't find where user experiences actually began. Seems the best way is to read that thead backwards.

Jan 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Thanks for that. Kind of frustrating that everybody is all hiding on one thread as it means you have to dig through so much just to get impressions and reviews. When I looked last, the last three pages were mostly dedicated to talking about the definition of warming up a DAC (whether it's just an expression for having it on for a while or whether it means to literally heat it). I'd come across that thread before in the past and couldn't find where user experiences actually began. Seems the best way is to read that thead backwards.

It definitely takes a fair bit of patience to wade through all of the extraneous information. If a series of posts don't appear relevant, it may be best to just skim through them (or skip over them entirely).

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 17

What would you say its closest rivals are? I've read a couple of reviews that state that the extra cost over the Modi 2 Uber is justified (which is allegedly slightly better than the regular Modi/Modi 2). That price takes it into competition with different DACs to the regular Modi 2 Uber though. When I search for "Modi Multibit vs" I find plenty of results for the older versions (which mostly gets compared to the ODAC) but not much info on how the multibit stands up to competing products in that price range.

Having both the Multi and the uber, the multi is superior, especially with HD650s.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #13 of 17
I'm currently looking at upgrading various parts of my audio setup. I'll be getting a pair of HD600s and I've narrowed down my amp choices. Where I am struggling is with DAC selection.

I heard about the Modi multibit when it was announced, but it seems that there aren't many reviews and none from prolific/pro reviewers (if there are, I haven't found them). I thought the Modi multibit would get a lot of attention simply due to it being a multibit DAC at such a low price from a company with a good track record when it comes to affordable amps and DACs. What I did notice when searching is (what seems to me like) a lot of them up for sale. This has alarm bells ringing.

I've never bought a stand alone DAC before, so I'm not really in a position to judge how good a DAC is (compared to competing products). With that in mind, should I be looking at something in the same price bracket that has more reviews from professional/respected reviewers, or would passing up a Multibit DAC at the price it sells for be foolish?

If you were looking for a DAC in this price range, what would you go for?

I have several DAC's and if I had to give you my opinion as a starting point I would definitely suggest you to consider the Topping D30 ( see http://www.head-fi.org/t/821559/ )
Very good value for money, especially if purchased on Massdrop.
I have the Mimby and it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 17
  Another R2R in the same price range for consideration http://www.head-fi.org/t/709720/starting-point-systems-portable-nos-dac

I have several DAC's and if I had to give you my opinion as a starting point I would definitely suggest you to consider the Topping D30 ( see http://www.head-fi.org/t/821559/ )
Very good value for money, especially if purchased on Massdrop.
I have the Mimby and it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in (and have been for a while) two minds about which way I'm going to go for my first DAC. Part of me is attracted by the virtues of multibit/NOS DACs (the reported analogue-like characteristics) while part of me wonders whether I'd be better off going for a more mainstream/popular/tried and true DAC. The reason for this thinking is that it will be easier to find comparisons to a very popular DAC and I'd have a reference point to go from for when I decide to try something different.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #15 of 17

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in (and have been for a while) two minds about which way I'm going to go for my first DAC. Part of me is attracted by the virtues of multibit/NOS DACs (the reported analogue-like characteristics) while part of me wonders whether I'd be better off going for a more mainstream/popular/tried and true DAC. The reason for this thinking is that it will be easier to find comparisons to a very popular DAC and I'd have a reference point to go from for when I decide to try something different.

Everyone goes through the same dilemma, only cure is to either buy and try or if you are lucky to audition one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back