Moderna MS400 or ATH-M50S
Dec 15, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gjs2000

New Head-Fier
Trying to make a decision between the Phiaton Moderna MS400 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50S.  Any opinions?  Also are the ATH-M50S's the update to the ATH-M50's or are they the same?  Thanks all.

**Updated to recognize the difference in the M50's and M50S's is the coiled and straight cables.***

Dec 15, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Correct.  Looking around $200-250.  I understand if I had $500 or more to spend there are better options.  Any reason that you don't like either? Do you feel there are better options in that price range?

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Correct.  Looking around $200-250.  I understand if I had $500 or more to spend there are better options.  Any reason that you don't like either? Do you feel there are better options in that price range?

$250 gives you a very wide variety.

Do you have criteria? Closed (isolation)? Open? Flat? Neutral? Bassy? Bass shy? Portable? Amp requirement? Do you have any equipment already (DAC, AMP, etc)? Music genres if applicable?

Very best,

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:

I'd generally recommend the Phiaton, but that could change drastically based on what equipment you already own (or don't yet own), your source, and the type of music you listen to.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Prefer closed, fairly neutral, solid bass is fine, but I don't want it overdone.  I listen to a wide array of music from Rock, Techno, Classical, R&B, etc.  

Not much equipment, basically suited for portable uses.  IPod, Laptop, etc.

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Prefer closed, fairly neutral, solid bass is fine, but I don't want it overdone.  I listen to a wide array of music from Rock, Techno, Classical, R&B, etc.  

Not much equipment, basically suited for portable uses.  IPod, Laptop, etc.

I like the MS400 a lot just because it's one of the few good cans out there that looks cool, too, but the M50 remains my most-used headphone. The M50 is a bit overpriced right now where you can find it. It's worth it at $120 USD, but not $150. The Phiaton has a sound I'd place at $165 or so, but the design brings it up in price. I'd go for the Phiaton, and it's even better going without an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back