Modern rock so bad, kids turning to "classic rock"...
Feb 13, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #16 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I just don't see this as news at all. When did people ever stop listening to Jimi, or the Allman Bros, or Led Zeppelin? Sure there are the current popular trends over the years, but the classics are classics!
tongue.gif

I guess it's more about kids who Start listening. It's nice to see the torch being passed on, so to speak.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #17 of 109
Its reasonable to assume that alot of the classic rock people are listening to these days is usually the better stuff of that era with all the crap filtered out, i.e. they stuff that has staying power.

Personally I think the reason modern music is just as good if not better than the older stuff, it just seems so crap, firstly because of the whole modern mastering fiasco and the fact that the staying power principle hasn't come into effect so its up to you to filter out all the crap yourself.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 109
I can see why one would find this encouraging, but in some ways, I think it's disappointing.

I don't think today's music is bad...in fact, I feel the opposite. I think there is more quality music being recorded and distributed right now than there ever has been. The problem is that teenagers buy into marketing hype and like to be spoon fed their music. The majority of people don't feel like digging any deeper to find something with some depth.

Going back 30 years and listening to the good stuff from that era is fine, but it's also kind of lazy. There is a lot of great stuff today...it's just not on the radio or MTV.

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
I can see why one would find this encouraging, but in some ways, I think it's disappointing.

I don't think today's music is bad...in fact, I feel the opposite. I think there is more quality music being recorded and distributed right now than there ever has been. The problem is that teenagers buy into marketing hype and like to be spoon fed their music. The majority of people don't feel like digging any deeper to find something with some depth.

Going back 30 years and listening to the good stuff from that era is fine, but it's also kind of lazy. There is a lot of great stuff today...it's just not on the radio or MTV.

Actually that's my goal right now - I'm trying darn hard to find some nice nuggets in the current indie pop scene - there ARE some, but it takes a bit of digging. But it helps to dig with some knowledge of the past - sort of like a musical archeologist, hehe. For instance, if I come across Bloc Party, my "Television-Marquee Moon" silent alarm goes off and I give them a closer look to see if they are just derivative, or bring something refreshing to the table. It does no harm for kids to check out Classic Rock and say "um, where have I heard this before? and how come it sounds better?"
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #20 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
It does no harm for kids to check out Classic Rock and say "um, where have I heard this before? and how come it sounds better?"
evil_smiley.gif

Sure, but I think it is harmful for people to rely on their parents, Clear Channel and Billboard for music.

This is always a well-rounded forum. I'm sure you've had plenty of good indie-pop recommendations.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #21 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Actually that's my goal right now - I'm trying darn hard to find some nice nuggets in the current indie pop scene - there ARE some, but it takes a bit of digging. But it helps to dig with some knowledge of the past - sort of like a musical archeologist, hehe. For instance, if I come across Bloc Party, my "Television-Marquee Moon" silent alarm goes off and I give them a closer look to see if they are just derivative, or bring something refreshing to the table. It does no harm for kids to check out Classic Rock and say "um, where have I heard this before? and how come it sounds better?"
evil_smiley.gif

Jahn, I've been at this for some time as well. I'm a bit obsessive about it (that's why I'm here
evil_smiley.gif
), but I find it really enlightening to identify the influences of a band, and then go listen to that older band. True musical archeology. Allmusic is a great resource for llsting the influences of key artists. Other times, musicians are very open about who they cite as their inspiration. As an example, I had listened to Sonic Youth for years, but barely knew anything about Krautrock. The I learned that SY were major fans of Can (and maybe also Neu!), and I started listening to them. I could see where SY borrowed from Can, but also created a whole new (Neu!
icon10.gif
) sound. Other times some new acts are just sadly derivative-sounding, as may be the case with all the new Joy Division and Echo clones.

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Its reasonable to assume that alot of the classic rock people are listening to these days is usually the better stuff of that era with all the crap filtered out, i.e. they stuff that has staying power.

One of the problems with what classic rock has become is that, not only has a lot of the crap been filtered out, but a ton of great music has been filtered out as well. It would be impossible to get a real picture of rock history by listening only to what is called classic rock today. Just like it would be impossible to get a picture of modern music by only watching MTV, or by only reading Pitchfork.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 109
The banner ad next to the article does more than even the article itself to explain why kids are going to the back catalog for inspiration. Take a look:

cash_160x600_2.jpg

The anything for a buck consumerism of the music industry has gotten way out of proportion.

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #24 of 109
i'm definitely one of those converted teens, though i've never really been into modern music. i've kind of progressed from gershwin onwards, and i am very firmly into classic rock now, and have been for about a year now. as i've only been seriously listening to music for a few years now (i'm 16), there's no sign that my love of this music is gonna peter out. i've only scratched the surface, too
smily_headphones1.gif

and, as suggested by the article, three of my favorite bands are floyd, zeppelin, and the beatles

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #25 of 109
I think the rock scene is about to come full circle (and Thank G-D) go back to its classic roots.
The more kids are getting into and buying more of the "classics", the less they spend on current releases. This inherently creates a decline in present day album sales and this "hole" in the market will need to be filled with higher quality music. I think it will be inetersting to see whether that void is filled with music that is remeniscent of classic rock or perhaps an entirely new direction/genre is created?
Maybe it will be a combination of the two?
Ive noticed that teens these days are floored when introduced to say...Pink Floyd for the first time. To no fault of their own their ear for music and the "industry bar" have both been set so low with the current wave of garbage being played...that when they hear quality music...its a revelation.
Either way, I feel its important to distinguish between what constitutes bad music these days in the commercial "above-ground" arena and that which is "underground".
The underground rock/prog/metal/avante-garde scene has some ASTONISHING talent today; bands that will be revered in the future in the same way we view Floyd, Stones, Doors, etc.

The above ground emo/punk/indie/alt-crap...not so much. (Although there are some exceptions).

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #26 of 109
Well, I'll put a little different perspective. As the parent of a 10 year old boy, I TRAIN the child to listen to classic rock. He LOVES the Beatles, LOVES the Who, and is curious about Floyd and Zep, although I don't quite think he's ready yet. I took him to see Paul McCartney last year, you had to see his eyes light up when he did Hey Jude. He listens to a classic rock radio station, and it amazes me when I'm in the car with him and he names a tune. I've got the radio on the other day, and I hear from the back seat: "Ah, Cheap Trick, Surrender...." Are you kidding me? I can't believe he knew that! He loves Layla, walks around humming the Clapton riff. I think his favorite song of all is Baba O'Reily.

The thing that I like about hearing that classic rock being popular with teens today is that my son probably won't start to think that listening to classic rock somehow isn't cool. I was worried that he'd lose interest in it when he wants to start fitting in with the older kids who aren't into it.

I don't mind if he listens to new stuff, but it's great to see that the classics still live on and are appreciated by young kids. That's really great.

Feb 14, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #27 of 109
Quote:

You, good sir, have just made a new friend.

It's easy to judge the indie rock scene from a few headlining bands, but that doesn't give one an accurate interpertation of what's being created out there. I challenge anyone who's ranted on the topic of good music no longer being created to listen to olivia tremor control's albums and stand by their opinion. There are countless others to mention in the name of good independant music, but this isn't a thread of reccomendations.

BTW, the smart and cool kids *aren't* wearing classic rock t-shirts. They're putting their cash towards something more productive than building their ego and creating a first impression of being knowledgable through aesthetic.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #28 of 109
Quote:

I couldn't agree more. Sadly for the most part you have to look outside of the USA to find (a majority of) the good stuff. The current kick I am on has lead me to bands from Finland, Spain, Iceland and Germany, among other places. There are bands out there that are mind blowing in how talented they are.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #29 of 109
I believe we need to qualify the term 'rock.' I personally don't think that the spirit of this post is in reference to indie rock, rather the mainstream 'profit rock.' Furthermore, I don't think the OP claimed that good music is no longer being made, only that it is not receiving the limelight. Consequently people are turning towards older, already established music instead of delving into the indie scene.

I think this is deserving to the "BTW, the smart and cool kids *aren't* wearing classic rock t-shirts. They're putting their cash towards something more productive than building their ego and creating a first impression of being knowledgable through aesthetic" attitude. Knowledgable through aesthetic? That's absolute hipster dreck. It never ceases to amaze me how those preaching creativity can be so close minded. Spouting power phrases like that may suffice in some circles, but not here my friend.

But do tell me what is not aesthetic about Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. Simply because 'it's been done' does not mean it's no longer worth our attention.

That said, I believe there is as much if not more great music being created today than ever before, but it is marginalized not only by The Industry but by a fear of Selling Out. Some people (believe it or not) think that simply because a band turns a profit, they must be Selling Out. Bands accordingly avoid *profitable* record deals at the cost of greater exposure and the chance to raise the collective musical conscience. Of course they should make it on the merits of their music alone, but let's be honest: this is the real world; they get buried. If the artist doesn't think that their art is the best thing since sliced bread (and act duly by making it accessible to as many people as possible) then why should anyone else?

My suspicion is that the real problem with Selling Out for most alleged underground fans is not the band's choices at all, but the new fan base acquired. They perceive a loss of identity in the general acceptance of 'Sell Outs.' There is nothing inherently wrong with this notion, but it implies that the fan is more about the 'scene' than the music.

Sorry I flew off the handle there. I just feel very strongly about music. I'm sure we all do.

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #30 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
I couldn't agree more. Sadly for the most part you have to look outside of the USA to find (a majority of) the good stuff. The current kick I am on has lead me to bands from Finland, Spain, Iceland and Germany, among other places. There are bands out there that are mind blowing in how talented they are.

Word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back