Modding the Superlux hd681
Mar 14, 2010 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
i was pointed to rock grotto, a euro based audio forum, and discovered that the superlux hd681 is a popular budget can there, much like the jvc harx700 is arounf here. also found a lengthy mod thread/
apparently, the hd681 has a substandard cable. while not a big believer in recabling (i have a few custom cabled headphones), i know that a not-good-enough cable can affect a signal in a negative way. 20 minutes later, i have a mogami dual entry on my 681.

of course i did one side at a time for comparisons sake. the highs have come out a lot, bass slightly tightened. a little more audio-technica-ish in the sound signature. will spend some time with this and report back

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 26
decided the mogami made the highs way too aggressive, went with a denon d2000 cable.bass more prominent

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 26
Mar 15, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, another cheapie to play with! So you didn't like the Mogami and used a D2000 cable... you just had that laying around or pulled it off your D2000s in desperation?

How do they compare to the RX700 or other?

lol-i had a spare d2000 cable!

compared to the rx700: most would prefer the rx700 as smoother and bassier. the recable helps the hd681 a lot- i assume the stock cable must be horrible quality- internally it resembles cables from the 70s and early 80s.
recabled, they are very different. the jvc wins in comfort and bass. the superlux in highs and upper mids detail

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol-i had a spare d2000 cable!

compared to the rx700: most would prefer the rx700 as smoother and bassier. the recable helps the hd681 a lot- i assume the stock cable must be horrible quality- internally it resembles cables from the 70s and early 80s.
recabled, they are very different. the jvc wins in comfort and bass. the superlux in highs and upper mids detail

Thanks I might give them a try for what it's worth. I already have the bass covered with my Ultrasones and consider the 700s somewhat balanced in comparison. Lately people around here have got in their heads that cables make zero difference and all sound identical, I'm kinda on the fence playing the agnostic right now but if you say the mogami was too bright that must have some relevance. I've wanted to try Navships cables for a while, hopefully they will match up nicely.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 26
recabling is a mixed bag. i have recabled some headphones to hear no difference at all. i always do one side 1st so i can side-by-side compare on my head. on others, slight difference. this time however- huge difference

from my basic electrical knowledge- once a cable is 'good enough' (well shielded and can carry the info it receives), then recabling does not do much.
an ez experiment- grab a cheapie rca cable from a 99 cent store. use it as a video cable and see the fuzzy video! obviously cables make a difference at some point

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an ez experiment- grab a cheapie rca cable from a 99 cent store. use it as a video cable and see the fuzzy video! obviously cables make a difference at some point

Video and audio signals are two different animals.

Anyway, did you re-cable your 681s single sided or dbl sided?

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ear Damage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Video and audio signals are two different animals.

Anyway, did you re-cable your 681s single sided or dbl sided?

just made the video comparison because its ez to see the difference that cable quality makes.

i recabled double sided. there are holes on both sides- the right side just has a rubber grommet so it was ez. i will post pics- didnt have my camera all weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 26
heres a pic. the 1st post in the rock grotto link has a nice pdf showing disassembly

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 26
nice find- i've been curious about the other flavors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back