Modding the Sony SCD-CE595
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 93
I just got my ce595 in and have a few questions.

If I want to simply replace the opamp for 2 channel, don't I simply need to remove only IC 400?

Does anyone have cap recommendations?

Where are the two output caps roughly located? I could not find them in the picture.

How hot does the iron have to be? I have a temp controlled one and wondering if the solder really required that much of a deviation.

Dec 14, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmatrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I want to simply replace the opamp for 2 channel, don't I simply need to remove only IC 400?

Yes, however considering the size of IC400, the close proximity of a bunch of other surface mount components, and the fragility of the leads on the board, doing so is not exactly simple. The photo in this thread makes the opamps look like DIP packages, but in reality they're about 5mm long. However, it may be easy for you, I just don't have any experience or proper tools for dealing with SMD.

Quote:

Where are the two output caps roughly located? I could not find them in the picture.

The opamps are on the bottom of the board, the output caps are on the top. In the 2nd picture from the top of this thread (the photo of the Swenson mod), you can see one of the output caps between the two yellow out-of-focus caps in the foreground...it says "D4 47 25V" on it.

Dec 16, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 93
Does anyone know where a service manual can be located? I wanted to find the diode bridge and replace them with FRED. I found two sets of four diodes on the bottom of the board by the power in connector and I wanted to know the specs for these as they seem to be the diode bridge. I also wanted to know the regulator chips number to see if a replacement for that would be worth it as well.

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #19 of 93
Quote:

Does anyone know where a service manual can be located?

Get it from Sony. Call 1-800-488-SONY and navigate the menus to the place where you can order parts. It's about $15.

Let us know what you find out about the diodes!

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #20 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get it from Sony. Call 1-800-488-SONY and navigate the menus to the place where you can order parts. It's about $15.

Let us know what you find out about the diodes!

I found the service manual on-line. I still had to pay for it, but I got it faster. The diodes involved in the PS are D921-924, D931-934, D936, D937, D960-961. They all function as rectifiers and are rated for 1A/400V. The problem in replacing them is their size and their number. I can't find FREDs in SOD-106 size. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Another possibilty is to upgrade the regulators, there is only a total of four and they will be easier to physically replace and hopefully source parts for. The regulators are IC703, IC920, IC950, and IC985.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #21 of 93
That's lot of SMD diodes to replace. Plus with the fragility of the pcb and the high potential for pad ripping incidents, unless you are really, really careful, I would focus on other power supply upgrade that use hole components. These are much easier to remove and replace with higher quality 'lytics and they will improve the sound dramatically.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #22 of 93
Heh, modding PCDPs must have affected my tolerance dramatically. I looked at those op-amps and thought to myself "wow, that's not so bad. I could swap those out in no time". LOL, oh well.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's lot of SMD diodes to repla
Code:
ce. Plus with the fragility of the pcb and the high potential for pad ripping incidents, unless you are really, really careful, I would focus on other power supply upgrade that use hole components. These are much easier to remove and replace with higher quality 'lytics and they will improve the sound dramatically.[/i]
 [/td] [/tr] [/table]

I would have to agree with the assessment on the diodes. However, further research into the regulators holds some promise. Only two of the regulators really matter. IC950(part # BA50BC0FPE2) which provides +5V for digital and IC985(BA12FP-E2) which powers the 12V rail. I am still trying to locate possible replacements.

Dec 19, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

I found the service manual on-line. I still had to pay for it, but I got it faster. The diodes involved in the PS are D921-924, D931-934, D936, D937, D960-961. They all function as rectifiers and are rated for 1A/400V. The problem in replacing them is their size and their number. I can't find FREDs in SOD-106 size. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Another possibilty is to upgrade the regulators, there is only a total of four and they will be easier to physically replace and hopefully source parts for. The regulators are IC703, IC920, IC950, and IC985.

I'd look at Schottky rectifiers instead of FREDs for something like this if you decide to proceed. I use 11DQ10 and 31DQ10 thru hole parts and these work great for CD players/preamps, etc. Something along the lines of RB050L-40TE25CT-ND from Digikey might do the trick. These are 40V/3A rated.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

I found the service manual on-line.

Can you tell us what the readings at the opamps voltage rails are? This may help determine what replacements will work best for those who wish to replace them. As I said in a previous post, I think our choices will be slim as there is not much room for adapters and I believe our SOIC choices are slim.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #26 of 93
Quote:

I think our choices will be slim as there is not much room for adapters and I believe our SOIC choices are slim.

Couldn't a new output stage be built? Take the same two leads off IC200 that you take for the Swenson mod, pull some power from somewhere (5v?) and run a lead back to ground.

Wouldn't have to be anything fancy...just an LM4562, some Black Gate output caps and whatever other passive components you need to complete an output stage...run it directly to the RCA jacks. You could use through-hole parts of much higher quality than stock, and it would bypass Sony's muting circuit.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to build, but I couldn't design it.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 93
Quote:

Can you tell us what the readings at the opamps voltage rails are? This may help determine what replacements will work best for those who wish to replace them. As I said in a previous post, I think our choices will be slim as there is not much room for adapters and I believe our SOIC choices are slim.

It looks like the rails are ground and 12V in the diagram.

Edit: I am looking to replace the 10 mF caps in the PS and I am looking for a good source for Nichicon great supply caps.

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 93
Does anyone know the proper soldering temp to use for this board or the wattage of their irons? I am having trouble getting the solder to melt and flow into my wick using my hakko 936 station.

Edit: I eventually just turned my hakko all the way up to 900 F and used a solder sucker. I did manage to lift half of some pads, but fortunately it not affect the board. Now all caps but the two 10 mF ones are replaced with elna cerafine and burning in now.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #29 of 93
I managed to replace the pos opa with 2 827s soldered to a browndog. I had to attach wires to the soic leads and then attach them to the adaptor in order to use the adaptor. The resulting sound is stunning and much cleaner than the player with all the caps replaced.

However, the gain as previously reported dropped very low. When I looked at the output, I had only 1.2 Vrms coming from the player. So I took a look at the schematic of the output stage and found resistor 411 and 409 also 511 and 509 formed voltage dividers, I jumped R411 and R511 to boost the output voltage. Jumping the resistors lowered the Vrms to 0.8, so I will go to rat shack tomorrow and see if they have some resistors. Hopefully this will let me change the opa and allow me to reraise the gain to get it to the proper voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back