Modding customs for improved fit
Aug 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bazirker

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a set of UM customs that are pretty awesome, although my right ear is a little loose.  I've already sent them back across the pacific once for adjustment and really don't want to screw around with doing it again.  The shape of the earphone is mostly correct, it really just needs for the nozzle to be a little thicker.

Has anyone ever tried adding something themselves to thicken up the nozzle on a set of customs?  I'm toying around with the idea of adding a thin coat of clear nail polish.  Any advice, experience or suggestions would be welcomed.  I figure that the worst case scenario (aside from having some chemical melt off my customs and into my ears) is that I totally screw up the fit of the monitor and have to send it in for a full remold, which would be what I would do anyway if I were to send them back to UM for fit adjustment.

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I used clear nail polish as described in the link above with excellent results.  It took many thin coats to achieve the fit I want, but my customs feel great now and have an excellent seal.  Well worth the effort, and much cheaper (and possibly better) than sending my CIEM for a full remold.  It was relatively easy to do too and my customs still look pretty good.  I would strongly recommend this method to anyone who thinks their CIEM needs to thicken up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back