Mock Beats
Mar 29, 2013 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Emilsinclair9

New Head-Fier
I was walking on Market Street today, the main street in San Francisco, and saw a headphone vendor trying to sell 'Fusion' headphones on the corner of Market and Montgomery. They're essentially mock beats...they look exactly like Beats without the logo. I already had my Beyerdynamic T5P on my head, (was listening to 'Shark Quest' radio on Pandora; if you've never heard of them, I highly recommend), so I sat down on the steps outside Montgomery BART station where people typically eat lunch. I thought I'd add some ironic flair to the scene. The headphone vendor was announcing what he was selling, and to my surprise, a good amount of people stopped to check them out. I even saw one Mom buy a pair for her daughter. I observed from about 20 yards away, and sat on the steps for an hour or so eating lunch.

At the end I approached him and asked to try them on. While they didn't sound horrible, the music was pretty murky-sounding and didn't have much of any instrumental separation. They were also horribly uncomfortable...I mean....clamping, rock-hard earcups that looked like pseudo-leather, plastic build, the earcups didn't really fit around the ears...kind of pushing onto them, and overall I wanted to take them off purely for comfort reasons within a minute. Granted, the music was not horrible sounding, but it was average to below average. He told me he was selling them for $30.00 a piece, which I thought would be fair if they were more comfy. He tried on my T5P's, and told me that they were great, but way too much money, and for the most part, I agreed. They're great headphones, but it's hard to justify for $1,400  for the T5P's, no matter how you look at it. Nevertheless, I'm happy I tried on the 'Fusions'; it's always interesting to hear and feel how headphones compare and contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back