Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Oct 27, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #377 of 389
  Hmmm..but the thing that made the MOFI BLUE sound so great was the AMP, will it sound as good hooked up to a Hugo Mojo?

Will a bears bone (MOFI BLUE) Lola be any different than a Audio Technica ATH M50 for $150??

Lol, that's debatable.  I found the ON+ amp setting too bassy for my tastes, too warm to be considered balanced.  And the ON setting was very similar to passive mode.  That being the case, the Lola should sound nearly as good as the Mo-Fi... provided that your source isn't anemic.

Not sure about the Mojo... haven't heard it yet.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #378 of 389
Hey peterdc, you still enjoying your mofi's? They are on sale in Canada, so apart from their weight and odd looks, I am tempted - in no small part due to your impressions.

Dec 6, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #379 of 389
Got my Mo-fis yesterday, and had a quick play with them 'to make sure they worked' before I let the wife take them away until my birthday (a gift).

First impressions are very good, and certainly a big step up from my sennheiser hd429s which I've been using for a few years.

The most pleasant surprise was how well they worked in On+ mode listening to older vinyl pressings that lack a little in the lower range.

I realise that these are my first decent midrange headphones, and so my lack of comparative experience potentially lessens my critical capacity, but they sounded great across the board. I was particularly happy with the vocal presentation, which was seriously lacking on some of the other phones I've tried, and the bass response is very enjoyable. This is the first time I have been able to listen to the Coltrane recording from the Atlantic and Impulse eras and hear the bass clearly throughout the whole piece.

Now to wait a week. At least that gives me time to continue my lossless ripping in preparation.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #380 of 389
Hello fellow mo-fi headz. :)

I guess this post will only really apply to people who live in Toronto, CAN.
Anyway, I bought my Mo-FI's last SEPT (2015) and today I had to take them back due to the AMP portion of the headphone not working. My main guess is that the battery simply gave way. It would be dead silent in ON+ and very very faint volume in ON. I of course let it charge, but it was done.
So unfortunately I won't be able to tell you all if that was the exact problem because my Toronto dealers at LONG & MCQUADE were so sweet and professional to me they took a look at it and with in minutes they gave me a whole new pair. Now how's that for customer service! :)
So my point is, for anyone living in Toronto or the GTA buy the Mofi's at L&Q's. They are great and located at Ossington & Bloor street west.
Also, I love these headphones and I had to use a different pair (v-mota crossfades) when hitting the streets today cause I had to box up those Mofi's when returning them. God! The crossfades are aweful compared to the Mofi's. I couldn't feel my music at all. Thank god I didn't have to wait for a service repair. That can take weeks sometimes. :frowning2:
So, many thanks to L&Q. Highly recommended.
Overall, I gotta say the Mofi's are a great street headphone. I know many would disagree, but the weight and design I really like and they isolate noise extremely well.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #382 of 389
I love these headphones. I've had them for about a year and a half and fall in love every time they're on my ears.

I've had AT-M50X for about 5 years and have a custom completely flat studio monitor...thing (Atomic CLR) & have been in the pro music business for a long time. I actually heard about these on another music gear page (FractalAudio) where it was getting rave reviews from the core design engineer of influence and many other pro musicians/ sound engineers.

I had a chance to compare it with the Sine, EL8, Nighthawk, P7, ELear and LCD-XC. Only the LCD-XC sounded like the truly superior headphone. The P7 and ELear were both wonderful with the P7 actually sounding much like a MoFi with a less robust/expressive bass. The Elear had additional extension & speed but the soundstage was suprisingly only marginally better than this closed headphone. Given the MoFi's "impact" being better than all above + it's portable versatility, I'm without buyers remorse.

I used the Chord Mojo for the auditions and it was easily the coolest thing I tried there. What surprised the most is how the onboard MoFi Amp played with the Mojo. It felt like a force multiplier. Probably similar to the effect others get when they pair dedicated amps after the Mojo. In this chain, the MoFi basically treats the DAC like it's the line out of a phone and then takes a much better signal to the custom amp paired with it's specific drivers. If you ever try the Mojo with these, it'll floor you.

I've decided to go the Audeze iSine route for similar DAC/Wow purposes & it's going to be that DAC+Audeze sound that was just better than the DAC+Blue. The Blue are still incredibly fun and sound fantastic plugged straight into an iPhone so I'm gong to stay committed to plugging straight in for portability (part of the reason I went Audeze:portability)

Anyway, with the Sadie/Ella/Satellite hitting the market I think these are an overlooked gem that can be had for ~$260 these days.

Oh, and when you get them a little broken in and get the hang of the clamp pressure control wheel, you'll be able to dial them in so they'll be very comfortable for hours.

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #383 of 389
I just picked up a set online, there’s currently an insane sale on that huge online retailer. So everyone is still using the internal amp after a separate amp?

I have a V20 phone that has an amp, a fiio x1 with topping nx1 amp and lastly an ibasso dx80. You all recommend forgoing the passive mode? The two DAPs I have also do line-out so this will be fun to try out.

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #384 of 389
I just picked up a set online, there’s currently an insane sale on that huge online retailer. So everyone is still using the internal amp after a separate amp?

I have a V20 phone that has an amp, a fiio x1 with topping nx1 amp and lastly an ibasso dx80. You all recommend forgoing the passive mode? The two DAPs I have also do line-out so this will be fun to try out.

There's no reason to use the internal amp with a separate amp. The volume gets out of control. The onboard amp is for plugging into mobile/laptop and having it amped without carrying extra stuff.

Dec 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #385 of 389
There's no reason to use the internal amp with a separate amp. The volume gets out of control. The onboard amp is for plugging into mobile/laptop and having it amped without carrying extra stuff.
Yeah, I'm checking the reviews and what not on them now. I also wouldn't want to use line out from my devices since there's no volume control on the headphones.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #388 of 389
Aug 20, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #389 of 389
So I just got a set of MoFi cans. The vinyl coating on the ear pads is crumbling. I cannot find a published way to replace the pads. Anyone out there have a solution? Current plan is to intentionally shed all of the vinyl or plastic coating. There is nice cloth underneath

I haven't replaced the pads and I don't have a set handy, but a quick Google search came up with this video which might lend some insight as to what you might have to do:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back