MMCX TWS Bluetooth Ear-hook advice
Jul 31, 2021 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jamiejmuk

New Head-Fier
I've been trying to find the best mmcx tws bluetooth ear-hooks. I started out with the low-end BT20's as a test to see if their utility could be worthwhile. They were convenient but sonically left too much on the table vs my BTR5.

I tried BT20s pro, a step up sonically, but the set I had kept glitching, the music stuttered every few seconds so I sent them back.

I moved on to the Shure TW1 and they perform OK.

But I am left wondering, should I have tried the iBasso CF01 or the fiio UTWS3.

Did I just get a dud BT20s pro? Are others worth considering?

My IEM's are Shure 535, 425 and 215.

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 12
I've been happy with the UTWS3 but I haven't tried the CF01 or TW1 so I can't make any direct comparison. Anyway, the UTWS5 are on the way from FiiO, so it might be worth it to at least see what features they announce before buying anything else.

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 12
I've been trying to find the best mmcx tws bluetooth ear-hooks. I started out with the low-end BT20's as a test to see if their utility could be worthwhile. They were convenient but sonically left too much on the table vs my BTR5.

I tried BT20s pro, a step up sonically, but the set I had kept glitching, the music stuttered every few seconds so I sent them back.

I moved on to the Shure TW1 and they perform OK.

But I am left wondering, should I have tried the iBasso CF01 or the fiio UTWS3.

Did I just get a dud BT20s pro? Are others worth considering?

My IEM's are Shure 535, 425 and 215.

You can consider the NiceHCK HB2. The HB2 has modular plugs so you can use both MMCX or 2 pin variant IEMs with it. It doesn't have a charging case but has about 13 hours battery life.

I've done some A/B comparisons to the iBasso CF01 BT adapter (which is more expensive), the HB2 has better connectivity and range, with less subbass rolloff. I've had a few drop outs with the iBasso CF01 but none with the HB2. The iBasso CF01 comes with a charging case, but only has a MMCX non detachable connector, so that limits the IEM types that can be used with it. The iBasso CF01 also has no volume control on it, so if say one is far away from the BT device used to pair with it, one has to physically go over to the device to change the volume, unlike the HB2, which just requires a tap on the housing.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 12
You can consider the NiceHCK HB2. The HB2 has modular plugs so you can use both MMCX or 2 pin variant IEMs with it. It doesn't have a charging case but has about 13 hours battery life.

I've done some A/B comparisons to the iBasso CF01 BT adapter (which is more expensive), the HB2 has better connectivity and range, with less subbass rolloff. I've had a few drop outs with the iBasso CF01 but none with the HB2. The iBasso CF01 comes with a charging case, but only has a MMCX non detachable connector, so that limits the IEM types that can be used with it. The iBasso CF01 also has no volume control on it, so if say one is far away from the BT device used to pair with it, one has to physically go over to the device to change the volume, unlike the HB2, which just requires a tap on the housing.
PXL_20210731_155818709.jpg
That case is so cavernous, though :)

The HB2 would have been on my radar if I didn't already have this. Got a pair of 2-pin OE adapters to use if needed as well and it's a fantastic combo. As much as I've used them at this point, they've certainly become worth the money.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 12
What are those earphones?

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 12
What are those earphones?
The Smabat M2s Pro. Fantastic earbuds for the price, but I'd definitely recommend adding a balanced cable in if you intend to use them wired. The stock one leaves a lot to be desired. Fit is a little wonky with the CF01, but they stay in my ears just fine once I figure out out.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKM8Llt

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Been keeping an eye out for earphones for the wife, she doesn't like IEM's and seems to burn through apple EarPods as a rate of knots. I have a spare Shure mmcx mic cable, the earphones in the pic look like an ideal match for her. I assumed they are good sonic performers just because they are mmcx and being used on £150 ear hooks in the photo

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Been keeping an eye out for earphones for the wife, she doesn't like IEM's and seems to burn through apple EarPods as a rate of knots. I have a spare Shure mmcx mic cable, the earphones in the pic look like an ideal match for her. I assumed they are good sonic performers just because they are mmcx and being used on £150 ear hooks in the photo
Yep, they're quite impressive for the price and even has a modular system, so you can swap out the driver, rear chamber filter, tips, etc to dial the sound to your liking. Have a couple driver sets and the filters on their way; spent about $150 for all of it (includes the aftermarket cable and M2s Pro itself). For the sound you get out of these? Worth it.

IMG_20210731_114258.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Ordered some, I'll let you know / blame you for her reaction in a couple of weeks

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Ordered some, I'll let you know / blame you for her reaction in a couple of weeks
We'll see if I can get 2 for 2 on wife-approved recommendations, then. If these don't work out, consider an alternative:

https://custom.ultimateears.com/pages/ue-fits

Potentially the antidote to her fitment issues. Saw them go on sale for $160 a couple weeks ago, so I predict it could go down in price again. Infectious tonality and spacious character that's not as consumer-friendly as a lot of the other TWS options out there. Just a bit more spendy than the Smabat.

And...if Smabat's included hardware doesn't work out, you could always improvise :)
PXL_20210731_185134258.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Once I get her hooked on the idea of sonic performance... then I'll be able to get her to go for snugs

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
PXL_20210731_155818709.jpg
That case is so cavernous, though :)

The HB2 would have been on my radar if I didn't already have this. Got a pair of 2-pin OE adapters to use if needed as well and it's a fantastic combo. As much as I've used them at this point, they've certainly become worth the money.

Yes the charging case is very well made indeed, has some balloon like padding to protect the IEM.

I really like your SMABAT iBasso CF01 combo! Great idea, will try it later with some adapters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back