MMCX adapter type
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dhc0329

Headphoneus Supremus
I mean we have way too many types of mmcx adapters which are slightly different in dimension.
These adapters don't seem to have model number so how do I know which mmcx adapter I should
choose when I buy new mmcx cable for Solaris? Null Audio for instance doesn't have Solaris listed
so what adapter do we select? Anyone has an idea? Horrible standardization to say the least..

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 7
I mean we have way too many types of mmcx adapters which are slightly different in dimension.
These adapters don't seem to have model number so how do I know which mmcx adapter I should
choose when I buy new mmcx cable for Solaris? Null Audio for instance doesn't have Solaris listed
so what adapter do we select? Anyone has an idea? Horrible standardization to say the least..
They usually dont listed for specific iem, they go by the manufacturer, so for Solaris pick campfire audio

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah unfortunately I couldn't find anyone listing the option campfire. Null Audio came back stating I have to choose Shure/Westone but I bought
one Westone mmcx cable from Amazon and the pin was way too small. Oh well..I just don't buy it then.

Aug 1, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 7
There is no such a thing as 'different types' of MMCX - MMCX is a common international standard originally developed for coax cable meant to transmit high frequency signal (*radio wave). While many IEM manufacturer used it for audio purpose, it is still the same MMCX standard. As far as I know Solaris uses the same common design - which mean any MMCX male connector that is fully complied with the standard will be able to plug into the IEM without any problem. The problem isn't that there is different type of MMCX, but the tolerance is off. Like any connector standard, there is usually a bit of wiggle room left since it is impossible to make every MMCX connector to be exactly the same. Some an manufacturer might use MMCX that is slightly too close to the edge of the tolerance range and thus make either too tight or too loose - these are NOT considered different types as they are still the same connector.

Your best bet is to find an MMCX with splitting / expending tip. They are developed to get a more secured fit because the tip has slightly more room to play with than the original one-piece design.

DSC_0229.jpg

Here is a close up look at a 2 way split MMCX (left) and a normal MMCX. There are also 4 ways split MMCX, but those are not as common.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 7
There is no such a thing as 'different types' of MMCX - MMCX is a common international standard originally developed for coax cable meant to transmit high frequency signal (*radio wave). While many IEM manufacturer used it for audio purpose, it is still the same MMCX standard. As far as I know Solaris uses the same common design - which mean any MMCX male connector that is fully complied with the standard will be able to plug into the IEM without any problem. The problem isn't that there is different type of MMCX, but the tolerance is off. Like any connector standard, there is usually a bit of wiggle room left since it is impossible to make every MMCX connector to be exactly the same. Some an manufacturer might use MMCX that is slightly too close to the edge of the tolerance range and thus make either too tight or too loose - these are NOT considered different types as they are still the same connector.

Your best bet is to find an MMCX with splitting / expending tip. They are developed to get a more secured fit because the tip has slightly more room to play with than the original one-piece design.

Here is a close up look at a 2 way split MMCX (left) and a normal MMCX. There are also 4 ways split MMCX, but those are not as common.

Oh really? You buy this mmcx cable and try it on Solaris. Pin's so small it feel like 2,5mm pin on 3.5mm jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ2BJH0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 7
Oh really? You buy this mmcx cable and try it on Solaris. Pin's so small it feel like 2,5mm pin on 3.5mm jack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ2BJH0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still, just because tolerance is different doesn't make them two different things. What you pointed out have been mentioned by others many times - don't get me wrong, I don't really like MMCX as a headphone's connector myself, but the decision is unfortunately not one that we the users get to make. The only thing we can do is to make the best of it - that's basically means a spliting MMCX connectors for now.

p/s: just to cover all the bases, make sure you have indeed pushed the MMCX connector all the way in. I have seen people pushed it half-way in and complained that it was too loose only to find out it was not actually in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back