MM or high output MC cartridge for Scoutmaster??
Jan 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a good MM or high output MC cartridge in the "$850.00 tops" range to use with a VPI scoutmaster and GSP Era Gold MK. V phono stage. Any info will be helpful.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I don't know that phono stage, but if it can handle MC without straining, that gives you the most sound potential.
If you already knew that, perhaps you should post in the amp forum or audioasylum where someone might know about your phono stage.

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Looking for a good MM or high output MC cartridge in the "$850.00 tops" range to use with a VPI scoutmaster and GSP Era Gold MK. V phono stage. Any info will be helpful.

In this price range most people go with a low output moving coil.Dynavector makes the 20XH,(high output) or for less money the 10X5.For even less money you could go with one of the high output Denon models for less than $200.

Jan 8, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 12
Consider Moving Iron (MI), too. Grado is one of the better known manufatcurers of MI cartridges, but the real thing are the Deccas (London). I own both the Decca (London) Reference and the Grado "The (New) Statement" cartridges. The Decca sounds so much better than the Grado, plus it has the added advantage of a really high output compared to the Grado, whose output is on the same level as that of a regular (not high) output MC.

There are Grados and also Deccas at different pricepoints, and you should be able to find one that suits your budget, if you don't want to shoot for the "reference" or "statement" models, but based on my experience I would recommend the Deccas.

In addition, the Era Gold phonostage has lots of options for adjusting the input to the cartridge used [oops, I just realized that this is the elevator stage, which you don't need], and that should come in very handy when using a Decca (I believe the optimum is 15kOhm and 220 pF, but I am getting excellent results with 47kOhm).

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 12
I just found the following on Slee's web site:

"Cartridges such as the moving iron Music Maker from The Cartridge Man used with the Era Gold V have caused many to cancel their hi-fi magazine subscriptions and begin to sit back and at last enjoy their vinyl collection."

That seems to support my general recommendation of MI cartridges. The Music Maker cartridge is an improved Grado MI cartridge, btw.

Nowadays I tend to believe that a well-implelented MI design is capable of beating both MM and MC. My MC references are the Koetsu Onyx Platinum Signature and the Lyra Helikon Mono.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san
I just found the following on Slee's web site:

"Cartridges such as the moving iron Music Maker from The Cartridge Man used with the Era Gold V have caused many to cancel their hi-fi magazine subscriptions and begin to sit back and at last enjoy their vinyl collection."

That seems to support my general recommendation of MI cartridges. The Music Maker cartridge is an improved Grado MI cartridge, btw.

Nowadays I tend to believe that a well-implelented MI design is capable of beating both MM and MC. My MC references are the Koetsu Onyx Platinum Signature and the Lyra Helikon Mono.

I think I will probably try one of the The cartidge Man cartridges in the future. I cant believe all the good press they are getting. I'm looking for a full feature preamp now to use instead of the GS. I will probably pull the trigger on either the Ayre K-1xe or Aesthetix Janus. I love the Aesthetix Calypso in my system so the Janus will probably be it for me. Thanks for all the help everybody.

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 12
I use a Dynavector DV20XH on my Scout and it sounds great. I first tried a Grado Reference Master with poor results - relatively poor tracking, too light on the bass and siblance I could never get rid of. I'm using the phono stage of my Fisher 400 so I needed the high output MC but with your phono stage I'd opt for the low output "L" if I was going with the Dynavector. However, I read somewhere recently (Stereophile I believe) that the Sumiko Blackbird with the GSP Era Gold MK. V phono stage was a fantastic match, and have also read over at audioasylum about the Blackbird on the Scout being a terrific match. I spoke with VPI recently and they were very enthusiastic about the Blackbird with the JMW arms, and they have also long recommended the Dyna DV20XL&H. If I was starting over I'd get the Blackbird.

Jan 10, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 12
The new EAR 912 preamp is supposed to be really good. For only 5,000 sterling it even includes a sophisticated MM/MC phono stage whose MC function works with transformers. Balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs, etc. The whole nine (9) yards. It's been reviewed in the latest issue of Hifi News.

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #10 of 12
I tried a cheaper phono stage (dynavector P75) with a dynavector 17D2MKII cartridge and the sound is fantastic! Will probably use this setup run through the preamp section of my DAC for awhile. I'll add the EAR preamp to my list of preamps to check out, but I think it might be out of my price range. I love the Aesthetix Calypso preamp and will probably go with the full function Janus or maybe the Ayre K-1xe if one pops up cheap used on Agon.

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Makes sense; at one point HW himself was high on the Dynavector for the Scout.

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Tom,

That dynavector combo is a hard one to beat. Up until November I was running a 20X-L/P-75 for about 2 years and it was just a fantastic combination. I was planning on upgraded the 20X-L to a Karat but ended up upgrading phonostages first.

If I were you I'd definitely spend some time with that rig--its a giant. Additionally, though I only heard it briefly and with an unfamiliar (though more expensive MC cartridge [think it was a sumiko]) I prefered the dynavector rig to the Ear... if you're getting into the Ear price point and have tubes on the mind, check out the Eastern Electric Minimax Phonostage--I actually posted a review of mine not too long ago.

Enjoy the vinyl!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back