MLT Speakers and Preamp Builds.
Jan 24, 2016 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sceleratus

Previously known as Iamnothim
I decided to close down "The Christiansen "DG" 300B Amplifier Build Thread" and start a separate thread for stuff I'm currently working on.  The amp's been built for a while even though I've made some mods.

I will also repost the photos of the MLT speakers.

Here's where I am....

The MLT speakers were sounding very nice.  Then they got a Lot Better.

Backstory:
I converted the 300B driver board back to differential from capacitor coupled.  I was expecting it to be a bit harsh after losing the Mundorf Caps.  It wasn’t  (At least to my 58 yr old ears)   I couldn’t detect any noise.  Sound is still buttery with great staging, 

The Jensen  JT-11P4-1 input transformers that replaced the caps paired very nicely with the Gunginer balanced outputs.   I got a very nice performance boost.

In converting the amp to differential I lost my volume pot, which at one point was a 4 deck Goldpoint Attenuator.   (Long story if you’ve read the whole thread.)   It also eliminated the non-differential Adcom GFP 565 preamp I’d been using.  ($450 on eBay).   All the volume is controlled by Audirvana software.   I also lost some amplitude when the Adcom went away.  Still very nice,  I only want it louder for some selections.  And I can control the volume with my iPhone and the Audirvana app.

The other reason for the Adcom was the Phono Preamp.  I was given a B&O  RX turntable.  I really enjoyed it until it had a problem with a channel and I promptly destroyed it trying to fix it.  My hands aint tiny.

The Plan:
I went to Neurochrome (Tom) and picked up his “THAT” Differential TX PCB and the “THAT” Differential RX PCB.  (Based on THAT Corporation “Balanced Line Driver IC’s”.)  They are tiny and I wasn’t expecting much.  After all, the less “stuff” in the signal path, the better.  Right?

I was (still am) stunned. It kicked speakers into a gear I didn’t think was possible.  They sound like they have 10” sub woofers.  The sound stage was expanded too.  I have no idea how MLT’s can produce the sound they do with only one driver.   I really don’t care….. I just listen.

Phono Preamp:
Tom told me to check out Douglas Self’s boards.  “Signal Transfer Company”  Douglas is very well regarded in the audio community and has published several titles on the topic.  A genuine guru that sells designs to audio manufacturers.  I ordered the RIAA Balanced Phono Preamp and Torridal Power Supply.   Built…  Not tested.

I use a MOTU Microbook as a signal generator and a Rigol DS1052E scope.   I’m only a tiny bit technical.  I need to build a little voltage divider (I think) to PAD the MOTU down to the level of a MM Turntable cartridge.   The phono preamp handles both MM and MC.  I built the whole board but I doubt I’ll every buy a MC cartridge.

The Future:
I ordered the Multibit upgrade for the Gungnir.  I ordered it 10 days ago and have moved from position 28 to 27 in the queue.   My calculations tell me I’ll have it in 6 months.  When the testing and enclosures for the preamps are finished I will acquire a Rega RP3 with a MM cart.   That fits my price performance spec.

Catch ya later.

Luke

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, well, well, it looks as if the Schiit Elves worked their fingers to the bone over the weekend.  They sent me an RA# and my Gungnir is on it's way.
Really looking forward to hearing the new circuit.

Here's an article from Bob Brines documenting the MLT cabinet construction.  You don't have to have a router table to build a set.  Careful use of a jigsaw will get the circles cut.  You also don't need expensive hardwood.  High quality, 3/4" domestic plywood will work fine for a painted finish.  Here's a tip....
When the boxes are built dress all the plywood edges and plug holes, etc with Bondo and sand to a nice edge.   Then spray a nice coat of lacquer paint and lacquer clear coat.  There are some great tips out there on getting a piano finish.

I'm more than happy to respond to your questions.  

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 3
Yesterday the upgraded multibit Gungnir arrived. So how does it sound?

Like walking through a garden filled with many varieties of flowers, fruit trees and vegetables, where every bloom, every piece of fruit, every plant are perfectly shaped and ripe for the picking. With sweet scents filling the whole garden.

Is it worth $500? Hell yes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back