Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Feb 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #76 of 756

Quote:
I didn't have to glue anything. The pads just fit perfectly over the plastic ring. However, the website said that I was buying DT990 pads. They could certainly be 770 pads though.

Indeed, the beyer dynamic web site clearly shows (in the customisation - manufaktur- option) for DT-990 that there are two types of ear pads, black and gray (or 'silver' ones).

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #77 of 756
I have been using the Beyer black leather pads on my HE-500 for several months now but today I tried the FA-003 velour pads (I use the leather set on the FA-003) and they work like a charm on the HE-500. The inner diameter is a bit bigger and they are considerably deeper so comfort for me is greatly improved. They seem to accentuate the treble slightly which I rather like. Mid range and bass seems unaffected.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #78 of 756
Those are quite large, probably an expensive mod even if it was possible to buy those pads.
So no good or bad affects on sound stage and imaging with those deeper pads?

Quote:
I have been using the Beyer black leather pads on my HE-500 for several months now but today I tried the FA-003 velour pads (I use the leather set on the FA-003) and they work like a charm on the HE-500. The inner diameter is a bit bigger and they are considerably deeper so comfort for me is greatly improved. They seem to accentuate the treble slightly which I rather like. Mid range and bass seems unaffected.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #79 of 756
It would only cost the price of the pads if they can be bought seperately (I just had them spare as 2 sets come with the FA-003).

I don't think they affect imaging and soundstage but those are not so important aspects to me and I'm not very good at judging them

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #80 of 756
I was thinking the price of the FA-003 was as expensive as their woody models but it looks to be very reasonable.
The FA-003 pads are not in stock from GD Audiobase.
http://gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=41&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=152&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Based on the picture from their website there appears to be a ring on the back of the FA pads.  How easy was it to get the pads onto the Hifiman ring?

Quote:
It would only cost the price of the pads if they can be bought seperately (I just had them spare as 2 sets come with the FA-003).
I don't think they affect imaging and soundstage but those are not so important aspects to me and I'm not very good at judging them

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #82 of 756
I was thinking the price of the FA-003 was as expensive as their woody models but it looks to be very reasonable.
The FA-003 pads are not in stock from GD Audiobase.
http://gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=41&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=152&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Based on the picture from their website there appears to be a ring on the back of the FA pads.  How easy was it to get the pads onto the Hifiman ring?

Quote:

It is very easy to fit the pads, easier than the Beyer ones.

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #83 of 756
Ok, how about a new idea, Would a beyer headband pad fit over the stock HiFiMan pad or is it too long?  

Don't know. I have stuck a HD650 foam headband inlay to the inside of my HE-500 headband. It does not look so slick but improved comfort greatly for me

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #85 of 756
This is what my end game HE-500 looks like with TWag V2 Eclipse cable, HD650 foam headband inlay and FischerAudio FA-003 leather pads

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #86 of 756
So because it was only $10 I got the beyer headband pad I linked, and I can just barely cram it around the stock pad.  The beyer pad does improves comfort.  I since sent off my HE-400s as part of that upgrade malarky, and when I get my 500s I'll have to figure out what to do, take off the stock pad (not really reversible) or just wad it up so I can get the beyer pad on there.  

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #88 of 756
This is what my end game HE-500 looks like with TWag V2 Eclipse cable, HD650 foam headband inlay and FischerAudio FA-003 leather pads

Oh wow good job man!

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #89 of 756
Thanks. I'm supremely pleased with them. Am listening to them as I write from RudiStor RPX-100 balanced fed from Audiolab 8200CD. Very, very good sound and comfort

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #90 of 756
Question:  Do the LCD2 Leather Pads fit on any of the HiFiMAN?  If so, would anyone know how it sounds?

They might. The cups have nearly identical diameter but I'm nut sure how the LCD pads attach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back