Mirage OM6?
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
There's a pair of these up on my craigslist for 450, I googled around some and I couldn't find much except a stereophile review, it seems these were 3000/pair from 1997-2006 when they were made, and I figured they were atleast looking in to since I've been starting to look into a 2 channel set.

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
There's a pair of these up on my craigslist for 450, I googled around some and I couldn't find much except a stereophile review, it seems these were 3000/pair from 1997-2006 when they were made, and I figured they were atleast looking in to since I've been starting to look into a 2 channel set.

I used to own the OM-6 awhile back. You're getting quite a lot of performance for under $500, I bought mine for $1200, and sold them a few years later for around $700. If you can check them out in person, pull down the socks and check the upper cabinets for signs of damage. The upper section of the speaker is very shallow in order to boost the "omni" radiation pattern, and if the speakers are mishandled, the top section can actually snap where it meets the much larger bottom subwoofer section. IIRC, the woofers use foam surrounds so check the condition there too. The side grills pop off so that's an easy thing to check. The other major issue with these as they age is that the Titanium dome tweeters will "crinkle", This isn't from somebody poking at them, it's something to do with problems with the magnetic gap with aging drivers, if I recall. Anyway, if they're crinkled or dented they need to be replaced to get the speakers to sound as they should. You can technically pop dents back out, but that doesn't actually "fix" anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back