MINNESOTA: First Meet 5/22/05 Impressions
May 23, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 38
NO worries, you should have seen the word processing job Tyll did when he was on a crappy laptop at the NYC audio show a few weeks back - the typing came out like a drunken sailor! Anyhow, welcome to Head-fi, and sorry about your wallet! Alot of crazies around here hover about the $1K budget for audiophile satisfaction, with a ton of different rigs - but if you step up to the big boys you can easily blow that on just the headphones alone! So have fun reading and don't forget what your ears have told you - "E" is out there, go and get it!

May 23, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rupertdacat
ANYWAY, THE SETUP PROBABLY TIPPED THE SCALES AT AROUND $4000, OR MORE. THAT’S A LOT OF MONEY. CAN ONE OBTAIN AN EXPERIENCE THAT IS IN THE SAME BALLPARK OF SATISFACTION FOR SIGNIFICANTLY LESS?

Glad you could join us and happy you had a good time. I guess it's good you are not a "screamer", although Tyll wouldn't mind the sales assistance.
biggrin.gif
Ie: "I'll have whatever he's having."

What you spoke of regarding headphones advantages in auditioning challenging music is a common point many of us have come to: there is no better tool of concentration and dissection for close listening than your choice of high fidelity headphones. That which you learn from your headphones your brain will also retain and add to later performances through your speakers. Many of us feel that a decent headphone listening rig is a necessary adjunct to our speaker based system and its full enjoyment.

You can probably achieve 95% of what you heard for half the MSRP. In our "for sale" forums, most of the headphones and cables you mentioned are traded back and forth in good condition for much less than their suggested retail prices. The source can be the same as you use with your speaker-based system, just switch it through a headphone amp. Tyll can make up several amps with the same module you were listening to, but with lesser ancillary components, such as the stepped attenuator, at considerably lower prices. But now that I think about it, the usual evening system of the Arcam FMJ 21T>AudioValve RKV Mk II>Zu-ed HD650 that I brought along and many seemed to enjoy, ran north of $3,500 to assemble. This is a lot of money. And I have no buyer's remorse to report.

Welcome to Head-Fi, Rupe! Sorry about your wallet!
600smile.gif

May 24, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 38
I'm the Secretary of the Audio Society of Minnesota and, although not a headphone geek, I do have a decent collection of phones for different purposes: Etymotic ER4's for travel, Sony MDR-7506 for the office, and Stax Lambda Pro's for home (but seldom used, more's the pity). So the idea of a joint meeting with the Head-Fi group certainly wasn't a foreign one to me. And it was a real treat! As one of our members commented, "We've never had so many transducers in one room at one time before." Like 40 or more, counting those brought along by visitors! Wow! And who would have thought headphones would be such a draw! Thanks to Old Pa and Henry Sadovsky for putting the meeting together. And Tyll was the perfect MC and guest speaker: energetic, knowledgable, and fun!

I took lots of pictures and if I can figure out how to do it, will post a bunch here in the next couple of days to add to those already up.

Congrats to all for a great get together!
600smile.gif

May 24, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #19 of 38
My impressions are forthcoming, as usually the planned two sentence comments are turning into multi-paragraph expositions.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, before people start asking I just thought I'd volunteer to ID myself since everyone is always curious to match real faces with the user names. I'm thus far the only person shown in the pics--the guy in the red shirt listening to the HD650s out of the redesigned Blockhead. Forthcoming pictures will likely show my friend who I brought along who I tried to convert to hi-fidelty audio but instead preffered to sit in a corner reading a book. Poor guy (although he assured me he enjoyed it since he rarely has time for recreational reading).
tongue.gif

May 24, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 38
I also had a great time. I really enjoyed listening to all the gear that I had read so much about. I was most impressed by the new HeadRoom micro amp. I also really loved the Gimore lite setup with the Alessandros. That was an incredible pair! I did spend the most time listening to a Total Bithead that Tyll was nice enough to go grab from his van. I loved it with my iPod and SR60s. So much in fact that last night I ordered a Total Airhead...I'll let you know what I think when it gets here tomorrow.

Thanks Tyll and the crew from HeadRoom...thanks to the ASM...I will definatley join and look forward to the meetings in September. A big thanks to Old Pa for getting this all set up! You have some amazing gear.

-Jon

May 24, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lylex002
I took lots of pictures and if I can figure out how to do it, will post a bunch here in the next couple of days to add to those already up.

Welcome; glad to see you here and SAYW! I would be happy to bring you through the picture posting protocol if you would like to PM me, or there have been several threads relating to posting pictures that you can search for. Some of the pix of Henry rockin' out may well not be suitable for young children or pets.
biggrin.gif

I would imagine that many of our attending ASM members will dust off their headphones and find particular new applications for them. I think I've used headphones more in the last four years than I had in the previous 35 years. There's no better way than a meet to see what's available and sort out your own rig for your purposes. From the reactions on Sunday (especially the grins and nonverbal signs of amazement and delight) and now here, we got us some new (and renewed) converts. IMHO, can't do much better than that!
wink.gif

May 24, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #22 of 38
Old Pa,

Looks like you all had a great time. Great job in organizing the meet. Its weird to see the same set-up that was in Detroit and Chicago up in MN. Glad to hear Tyll, Jamey, and Joe made it up there safe and sound. They should have been OK with all the sugar, water, soda, and Beer Nuts (yum!) Billy gave them as we closed up shop Saturday.
biggrin.gif

I'd like to get the Chicago Audio Society involved as well. We had a few members stop by when Fred hosted a couple of the meets. Keep those pics coming!

Regards - reynman

May 24, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
I'd like to get the Chicago Audio Society involved as well.

ASM participation may well have been the most rewarding part of this meet; seeing new folks light up. Have you joined the Chicago group? ASM was most receptive to having an entire meeting demonstration put together for them. We're talking about doing it next Spring as well; you should think about coming up, checking out the Pavek, and seeing the Cities. Very pleasant in the Spring.

May 25, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #24 of 38
Somebody is going to have to go a long way to top Old Pa and his selection of venue for the Minneapolis meet. I hate to go on and on about this, but I will.
We knew we were in the right place when we walked in the door and saw this mirror.

meetminnmirror.jpg

It’s almost time for the meet.

meetminnclock.jpg

But before we get started how about a little tour around the Pavek Museum. I reckon if there was a guy behind this counter, he’d be able to hook you up with a few tubes.

meetminntubecorner.jpg

meetminntubesinboxes.jpg

meetminntubesinglass.jpg

And, as if that’s not enough …..

meetminnwalloftubes.jpg

meetmiincaseoftubes.jpg

But it wasn't just a display of tubes, that’s for sure! As Tom, our host, showed us around he would occasionally turn things on for a listen. It was amazing to see and HEAR a lot of these displays.

Here’s a functional wire recorder.

meetminnwirerecorder.jpg

And a record cutter.

meenminncutter.jpg

And these horns were completely operational. Talk about efficient; only 12 watts to drive them to deafening levels.

meetminnhorn.jpg

Back in the day you needed some real room just for the antenna.

meetminnantennas.jpg

Of course, you probably wouldn’t mind if your radio looked like this. When was the last time you polished your chrome valve and cap covers?

meetminnsweetradio.jpg

But if old school high end isn’t for you, maybe you’d prefer a portable rig.

meetminnportableradios.jpg

May 25, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #25 of 38
Okay, ‘nuf of that. Let’s get on with the listening! Oooops! What!? I’ve got to stand up and say something intelligent to these guys? So I get this lovely intro by the Audio Society of Minnesota.

meeminnhenry.jpg

Then I got up there… You can see my mouth forming the word “Baloney” It’s the only thing I know.

meetminnbalony.jpg

Thank goodness that’s over. Let’s listen to some headphones. They can put a smile on your face!

meetminnhappylistener.jpg

Here’s something that happens a lot. “Hey, Dad, check this out. D’ya think you can buy me one of those?”

meetminntshirtwinner.jpg

Have you ever seen a headphone meet action shot?

meetminncroudatwadia.jpg

“See, you just push this in, twist this knob, push this button, and VOILA! Music appears in your head.”

meetminnalesandrolistener.jpg

There was plenty of action around the high-end table.

meetminnreftable.jpg

Old Pa had a bunch of groupies at his table. If I wasn’t so busy I would have joined them.

meetminnoldpasgroupies.jpg

We did have one scary moment: we noticed PtheD with the Bose Triports on his head. When we saw he wasn’t moving at all for about 10 minutes we got a long non-conductive stick and knocked them off his head. He keeled over and was out for a few moments, and then we put him in the ambulance. I hear he’s recovering well.

meetminnpthed.jpg

We did notice this sign. Someone here has it as his sig. It must have been around for a long time.

meetminnalles.jpg

Well that’s it. Thanks Old Pa, ASM, and the Pavek. I’m looking forward to the coming events. If you think of me this summer, this picture of Jamey at the trailor is what you should imagine.

meetminntrailor.jpg

Cheers!

May 25, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #26 of 38
It looks like you all had a great meet, I wish I could've been there (I was on vacation in Virginia and Maryland). Tyll and Old Pa were nice enough to send me some HeadRoom swag though (yes, Old Pa, it's here) and I must say that the new HeadRoom logo looks great (especially the on the coffee cup). I hope to see everyone at future meets.

May 25, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
It looks like you all had a great meet, I wish I could've been there (I was on vacation in Virginia and Maryland). Tyll and Old Pa were nice enough to send me some HeadRoom swag though (yes, Old Pa, it's here) and I must say that the new HeadRoom logo looks great (especially the on the coffee cup). I hope to see everyone at future meets.

Glad you got your stuff, Tyler; that was quick. Over the years, we have tried to provide a diversity of headphone gathering experience here in the Northwoods. Witness:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...+HeadRoom+Stop

Nice Pix, Tyll. Too bad the ones from 2002 all got snatched by rhe moderator mafia for their private collections.

May 26, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #28 of 38
Thanks for the nice pics Tyll. I liked the caption with PtheD and the Triports...

Anyone else have pics? I thought I saw more cameras there.

This isn't the right place for it but I got my Total Airhead yesterday and it is great! I am using it with my iPod and SR60s-wow! I had to have one after hearing what a difference an amp can make even in my modest setup, and I really enjoy the crossfeed. It is a good thing I am on summer break because I can't do much else but listen to my music...I look forward to soon putting some SR225s and either etys or Shures in my ears with this setup...ok...sorry it was off topic...

May 26, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #29 of 38
It's always on topic to swoon over a piece of headphone hardware around here. Otherwise, what use the pain in the wallet to get it? So, glad you're digging it; enjoy the summer!

Cheers!
eggosmile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #30 of 38
I didn't know I was being spied on. IN my deffence I only was listening to the TriPorts to gain perspective on the degree of perfection that the rigs & cans that were at the meet had atained. A high contrast level of headphone experience leads to even better apreciation of the light side of the force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back