Minimum-Leakage Phone with High WAF?
Mar 17, 2010 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jezz

100+ Head-Fier
Shorter version:

I'm looking for a headphone that does not leak much at all, is bass-light but defined, nice mids, and not sibilant, running in the $200-$400 gambit. I'm not looking for the AKG K271MKII because I have one, or the DT770 because it has too much bass for me. I am looking at the ATH-W1000 or A950LTD, the Denon D5000, and the Sennheiser HD25-1-II. I have a good tube amp, a good SS amp, and a good DAC, so I don't need to worry about those.

Longer version:

I'm very happy with my AKG K271MKII, however my (future) wife thinks I look like an alien with them on, and they're my office phones. I'd like a different pair for home, and they shouldn't leak at all for the benefit of my (future) wife. There are a lot of reasons for her not liking the leakage they're all very legitimate in my opinion, so let's leave it at that.

She didn't mind the ATH-A700 when I had them, and while I rather liked most things about them, I hated the mids. The AKG K340 came to my rescue and I've basically lusted after that sound signature since. Briefly I had the SRH-840, but my large ears broke the seal and were rendered useless to me as closed headphones.

I listen mostly to classical, some rock, and some electronic and have found the K271 satisfactory while at work and the K340 and a Grado HF-2 to be wonderful at home for meeting those desires. I won't be listening much to the K340 or HF-2 when she's around, but I'm sure I'll find my occasions. I still have very sensitive hearing so I tend to dislike anything sibilant, but beyond that I only listen at distinctly "medium" listening levels.

Where should I go from here? I've contemplated the Denon D2000 or D5000 with markl mods, and I'm not afraid to fiddle with headphones. I've got a pair of Yamaha HP-1's that I'm still figuring out what to do with (refurbishing at the moment), and I'm contemplating damping them like crazy and making them into fully closed headphones. Of course, first they need to stop smelling like the previous owner's cigs, which could take some time.

I'm really at a loss. I haven't found a HiFi store near me that I can audition the headphones I'm looking for at, particularly considering I'm looking at modifying the headphones as soon as I got them.

And perhaps the most annoying quirk about me is that "if it has wood in it, I want it irrationally." I'm immediately drawn to the W1000 even though the A950LTD would probably suit me better. And I hate Sony because they've wronged me several times as a consumer in the past; at least it's a somewhat rational hatred though.

Bah. Really truly lost. My Head-Fi adventure has taken a turn unexpected. I really want a closed Stax SR-Γ, which to my ears sounds pleasantly in between the K340 and the HF-2. Alas, such an electrostat does not exist within my price range, and would probably have a very poor WAF (I'm looking at you, Stax 4070).

Please help
confused_face.gif

And I apologize if this subject has already been done to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back