Mini3/Gamma1 combination?
Sep 24, 2009 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all--

I'm finally giving in and acquiring an amp--I've been putting it off and been telling myself I don't "need" one but I think it's time. I also need a DAC as I'm driving off a laptop and I'm realizing it really needs some help.

I've got the technical wherewithal and free time to build these (I think).

I just want to confirm the following:

1. I really won't do better than a Mini3/ Gamma1 combination for the ~$200ish this will cost me in parts and my time, and

2. This amp in particular meshes well with a variety of headphones. I'll be driving Shure SRH440/840, Senn HD580, AT ATH-ESW9, Senn HD600 chiefly, with maybe a few AKG models thrown in. Highest impedance is 300ohm, with the remainder under 80ohm. Obviously these all have different sonic characteristics so I'm hoping this amp will be neutral enough to use with all of them without any real concern.

How much better is the Gamma2? the parts are only $30ish more, so if I'm already going to be in there, I'll go big or go home if it's that much better?

I admit a lot of my files are compressed to some degree, will any of this be overkill? I'm sort of hoping a good amp will make up for the shortcomings of my laptop and at least give me the most out of what I've got.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I think I'm just gonna go big and build the gamma2. I've got an electrical engineer to bail me out if I get stuck.

Any other opinions?

Sep 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 16
The Gamma2 is more like $200 just parts and its twice as big as a Gamma1. The Mini3 and Gamma1 both use the same enclosure.

If you build a Gamma1 for usb only, I would recommend also adding the power section as opposed to using usb power. That way you will be sure to have a clean power source with proper voltage, especially using a laptop usb bus.

The Gamma2 may very well top the Gamma1, I haven't finished the Gamma2 yet, but the Gamma1 is no slouch. Not at all.

The Mini3/Gamma1 combo is an incredible setup that would satisfy most people completely.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 16
You gonna love it:

01_s.jpg

02_s.jpg

03_s.jpg

04_s.jpg

05_s.jpg

06_s.jpg

Or - you can go for Gamma2:

Gamma2_Komi_1.jpg

Gamma2_Komi_2.jpg

Gamma2_Komi_3.jpg

Honestly, i think this is the best deal for money you can find ...

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 16
Agreed. The combination (Mini³/y1) in my opinion is as good as it gets for me. Anything past it (like my β22) is way past my point of diminishing returns and is overkill for me. Since I'm building up a y2 I can see for myself whether I am even worthy of audiophile equipment (y1 vs y2 to Mini³ and β22). Hell I'm enjoying the sound direct from my desktop's ALC883 sound card if that says anything...

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey Komi, where did you get the front and back plates for those made?

I want to have custom ones made for mine, but I need some sort of template for where the holes should be drilled since I don't have a constructed version in front of me.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Komi, where did you get the front and back plates for those made?

I want to have custom ones made for mine, but I need some sort of template for where the holes should be drilled since I don't have a constructed version in front of me.

I did by my self, on Laser Engraver !

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Komi, those are flippin gorgeous. I love how you elevated them too.

Can a mini3 handle phones like the K701 or DT880 or HD650's? Is there a way to modify it to forgo batteries and get more power? I can't build them myself (no clue, no skill), and I really doubt I would even move up to phones like those any time soon, but I am trying to get an idea of how versatile the mini3 is.

If I never progressed past the Shure SRH840's, can I assume that I would never need more than a Gamma Lite and Mini3 combo for listening out of my laptop or dap?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Komi, those are flippin gorgeous. I love how you elevated them too.

Can a mini3 handle phones like the K701 or DT880 or HD650's? Is there a way to modify it to forgo batteries and get more power? I can't build them myself (no clue, no skill), and I really doubt I would even move up to phones like those any time soon, but I am trying to get an idea of how versatile the mini3 is.

If I never progressed past the Shure SRH840's, can I assume that I would never need more than a Gamma Lite and Mini3 combo for listening out of my laptop or dap?

Thanks!

You should UTFSF on forum, there is alot of answers on your question, but, cuz you are from Tampa, and Anna Maria Island if my favorite spot for years, i even manage to catch Lemon Shark there, i will answer your questions !

M2 mini can drive any headphones with no prob ... You just need to follow TiKans instruction on his web site and will be no problem ... I got 270ma Nickel Metal 9v rech. batt., and it runs for long time ... You dont need nothing bigger!

Rechargeable 9V 270mA NiMH Batteries (Case of 10) | Overstock.com

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have some kind of file showing the size and placement of the various holes in the plate?

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 16
There's always the one on the mini3 site under "Boards and panels".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back