Mini3 circuit question
Mar 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does that mean the mini3 is not ideal for sensitive IEMs such as the ES3X?

I'd say that most IEMs don't need gain at all. If anything, they need attenuation. So it's not just a Mini³ thing.

Keep in mind that the raison d'etre for most IEMs and low-Z headphones is so that they would work well with battery-powered audio players with limited output power.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibble Fat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I played around with the numbers a bit and determined that a resistance of 9 ohms added to the right channel would tighten up the channel agreement.

Here's some graphs, just for fun:

I'm impressed how you worked it through. Well done!
smily_headphones1.gif

It is also interesting that just a 9ohm difference can cause such a big alteration in your listening experience. Something to be said for good quality volume control......

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not use an inverting opamp at gain of less than 1?

You're talking about using an op-amp vs. a resistor, correct? That would still be an external add-on (correct me if I'm wrong) which I'm trying to avoid. I don't quite see how that's any different than lowering the gain of the existing right channel op-amp by a tiny bit (correct me if I'm wrong).

I can understand Ti not liking when people make a mess of his mini3 layout, but I'm looking for an internal solution. I've contacted someone who may have a stockpile of these potentiometers that I can test.
wink.gif
We'll see how that turns out

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

I was thinking more along the Mini^3 V2.0
wink.gif

confused.gif
3.0? Quit it with these drive-by answers haha

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I was thinking more along the Mini^3 V2.0
wink.gif

Thing is, I see nothing wrong with having a higher gain from the amp, providing your volume control is well done.

The Pico Slim proves that it can be done very, very well. A DIY equivalent would be a compelling project.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 27
If all else fails, I was planning on just re-terminating my headphones with a neutrik 3.5mm plug and somehow mounting an SPDT switch on/in the plug to disable the 9 ohm resistor

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that most IEMs don't need gain at all. If anything, they need attenuation. So it's not just a Mini³ thing.

Keep in mind that the raison d'etre for most IEMs and low-Z headphones is so that they would work well with battery-powered audio players with limited output power.

so, what is raison d'etre for portable amps if IEM's don't need them?
Not trying to be a PITA, just asking a question.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #26 of 27
^ Among other things, not all folks use IEM's with their portable devices.

To the op... While I admire the work you did to figure the resistance need to correct your imbalance. I would suggest adding resistance to both channels, you may find that it improves the sound of the phones. You will find many a thread discussing the merits and it is something you can do inside a mini-plug for a nice clean solution.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #27 of 27
Indeed, most (non-IEM) "portable" headphones do benefit from amplification, and Mini³ has enough cojones to drive many full-sized can well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back