Mini/shelf systems with decent headphone amp for the bedroom?
Apr 7, 2006 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

proglife

500+ Head-Fier
Basically, I'd like a Tivoli table radio with a headphone amp that can drive my HD580s. I want something small that I can keep on the nightstand next to my bed, run my iPod into and have the option to listen through a speaker or through my Senns.

Is there a product that fits this bill? Having the unit AND the iPod is enough clutter for me...I'd prefer not adding a headphone amp and another set of the cables to the mix.

Thank ye kindly in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 9
Oh, i jumped the gun a bit. Tivoli's do have headphone outs....

....has anyone used 580/600s through this? Is it any better than using the iPod headphone out?

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 9
A Tivoli PAL drives the 55-ohm K271 adequately (not awesomely, but OK) to moderate-to-somewhat-loud levels. I don't have a 580/600 to try, but my guess is that you'd find you want an amp.

Apr 7, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I have only a Nano and a Shuffle handy at the moment, and compared to either I would say the PAL drives the K271 a little louder, but with lower quality. (But the lower quality could just be a poor radio signal.)

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the input!

I think I'll probably just go for it. Now that I think about it, whatever lucky lady is laying next to me would probably prefer i go with something sealed anyways. Oh well, another pair of headphones....bummer
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 9
NAD makes a 20w X 20w reciever with built-in CD player combo. Ive heard it with Paridigm bookshelf speakers like 2 years ago,but its still on their site,so i guess they still sell it. Its a sweet unit.
icon10.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
Now that I think about it, whatever lucky lady is laying next to me would probably prefer i go with something sealed anyways. Oh well, another pair of headphones....bummer
wink.gif

Uhhh, whatever lucky lady is laying next to you would probably prefer you kept the durn things off... That's for after you get married!
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n
NAD makes a 20w X 20w reciever with built-in CD player combo. Ive heard it with Paridigm bookshelf speakers like 2 years ago,but its still on their site,so i guess they still sell it. Its a sweet unit.
icon10.gif

If you're speaking of the L40, I don't think it's available any more, but I've found it on eBay from time to time in the $300-$350 range. I have two of them. Yes, it's a very sweet unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back