Mini-REVIEW: MOE Audio SS01 (WARNING: Tongue-In-Cheek and Tacky)
Nov 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

tomscy2000

Headphoneus Supremus
A few weeks ago, I was approached to take a listen to the MOE Audio SS01. This is a quick review of these earphones while everything's fresh in my head. Beware that I rarely hedge on fast thoughts short on post-processing. The writing is loose, and my diction is as pungent as a clove of garlic --- no mincing here. Get ready for some barbs but also a lot of waxed poetic.

Disclaimer: I've been mostly using the UERM for these last few weeks (sprinkled in-between some RE-262 and DS-11 ear time), and I haven't gone out of my way to listen to earphones in the $50-100 price bracket in a very long time, so I can't give detailed comparisons between these earphones and the strong budget models. I can only really give a rough 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' for the kind of performance I expect out of any earphone in any price bracket. Luckily, I (think) I have accrued a fair bit of experience with IEMs over the years, and have a reasonable expectation of what a general sound signature should be like, and whether something performs well acoustically. Those looking for an in-depth comparison of the SS01 against other budget models of comparable quality should probably wait for the venerable ljokerl to review it. However, in an effort to stay relevant, I will not be using any pretentious “audiophile” tracks for listening tests, so that means no tracks recorded in DXD/DSD, and no one whose name begins with Diana and ends with Krall.

Even though we're talking about the essence of MOE, this review is about:

This.

Not this. Don't get it twisted.

When I saw the MOE Audio website, I was stunned by how incredibly similar the SS01 was, morphologically, to the well-received IEM of a couple years ago --- the JVC HA-FXT90. A quick look-see around the website revealed that MOE Audio's parent company, Aipon, was the principal ODM/OEM of all of JVC's micro-driver IEMs, from the oldie-but-a-goodie FXC series to the ridiculous FXZ evolution of the FXT90.

Being an ODM/OEM with a full-fledged R&D wing (boasting an electron microscope amongst its developmental equipment, no less), Aipon seemed well-equipped to design their own earphones (they likely own the design patent to the JVC models that were so well-liked by this head-fi community), but I didn't expect them to just recycle the overall design of the FXT90. At that point, I was a bit worried, as I had a feeling that the SS01 would sound uncannily similar to the FXT90. I don’t truly remember what the FXT90 sounded like, but I do remember that I enjoyed it for what it was --- it had the typical JVC U-shaped sound --- mid-bass friendly, recessed midrange, and sparkly treble. To me, it was a less-refined FX700 that featured coarser, grainier treble and less natural overall timbre. I did appreciate the amount of detail it put out, however. Many attributed the detailed presentation to the nanotube-coated microdrivers. I tend to agree, but I try not to put stock into something that’s not yet substantiated (though it is a trend, as the FXD series felt very detailed as well). I won’t bring up the FXZ200/300 --- even though the concept was cool, I thought they were overpriced gimmicks that offered little to no improvement over the FXT90.

But enough about JVC. They tend to concentrate too much on their specific U-shaped house sound. Most people on these forums probably crave something a little more balanced across all frequencies.

I love crappy cellphone pictures. They save me time.

Upon inserting the SS01, I noticed that it seemed to take a page from the Audio-Technica school of sound tuning: namely a mild but palpable mid-bass hump, even lower midrange, slightly recessed 1-2k region, bump in the upper midrange 3-4k, and generally elevated lower treble shelf. This specific type of tuning calls for moderation in all parts --- go overboard with any one region, and problems start to arise (e.g. the CKS SOLID BASS series have wayyyyyy too much mid-bass, the CK100PRO has wayyyyy too much of a lower treble shelf elevation, leading to a biting sibilance region and 8k crunching harshness on compressed and poorly mastered tracks; an overly prominent 3k region makes voices feel overly tall and shouty, like it possibly is in the T-PEOS H-100). However, if all these things are done within reason, the result is a colored, but very pleasant listening experience. The mid-bass will give pop tracks a bit of bouncy kick, the upper midrange hump will allow (typically thin-voiced) female singers to stand out of a track mix, and the elevated lower treble will give listeners the sparkle they crave. The result is a spacious-sounding earphone that flatters C-Pop, J-Pop, K-Pop, and pop (is there an L/M/N/O/P-pop?) in general.

I am happy to say that the SS01 pulls off this specific coloration (let’s just call it the ‘ATH house sound’) quite well. My very first thought: “This sounds like an ATH-CKM500, but wayyyyy better!” Of course, I don’t really remember what the CKM500 sounds like, but there must be a reason why I thought that, right? Right?

Okay, nevermind. The SS01 gets the balance right, however, IMHO. In my humble opinion, it’s tuned with a moderate bass boost that doesn’t intrude into the midrange, and gives listeners great clarity in the upper registers, but won’t tear a hole in your eardrum with sharp, sibilant treble, in my humble opinion.

It took me a little bit of time to remember that dynamic driver earphones usually take a bit more volume to get them to really come to life. At first, I'd believed that the SS01 was a bit dynamically flat --- pleasant sound signature, yes, but slightly bland and with no distinct characteristics. I remember having trouble with the Philips Fidelio S2 precisely for this reason --- electroacoustically, it was infallible at its price point, but it offered no defining character. It was a bland, bland earphone. Unless you're specifically going for a truly flat and neutral sound (i.e. Etymotic ER4P/S/B, Phonak Audeo PFE, Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor), it needs to have at least a little bit of character. Good thing that the SS01 came into its own with a little bit of voltaic juice applied. It doesn’t respond well to damping, so use something with low OI and don’t use in-line resistance. It won’t help.

At first, I also thought that the SS01 was a little lacking in detail. Then I remembered that I’m used to listening to some of the most revealing IEMs around, and should probably give a $60 earphone a break. Indeed, against budget models <$100, the SS01 turned out to be way more detailed.

What it does lack, surprisingly (for a micro-driver based earphone), is treble extension. The treble starts to cliff-dive at 15k, and roll-off begins a little earlier than that. While it’s not unforgiveable (actually, it’s probably the norm) in its price range, I’d like to see that improved upon. I attribute the lack of treble extension to the reflex design of the dual dynamic drivers. The drivers cannot be inserted deeply, and nor can they be properly designed with a suitable port length.

People especially sensitive to the 3-4k region may find the SS01 slightly shouty, but it should be fine for the general population. Anyone with ample Sony, ATH, JVC experience will find the midrange to upper midrange tuning very familiar.

So what kind of track is the SS01 right at home with? Let’s go with the reigning princesses of K-Pop (and a popular head-fi avatar inspiration) --- So Nyeo Shi Dae, in ‘OSCAR’ (320 kbps MP3):

This club-style beat flatters the tuning of the SS01. The springy mid-bass breathes life into the track, making you want to crank up the volume, but doesn’t intrude into the midrange, where all vocals are clear and well-isolated. Everything feels spacious enough to give you the illusion that you’re gettin’ jiggy with it in da club (the kind that serves Soju, not one that Curtis Jackson would frequent). Even though ‘OSCAR’ uses vocal compressors (to squeeze as much presence as possible into dear Sica’s thin little voice) and Auto-Tune like nothing else, I had no problems listening to the song. The SS01 wouldn’t completely hide the problems (I hear some confusion and coarseness in the treble), but neither would it emphasize any, whereas I would cringe (just a little --- I still love you, Sica) if I used something like the UERM. Energizers and synchronizers, amen.

What else sounds good with the SS01?

Destiny’s Child’s ‘Bills, Bills, Bills’ --- even with its trifling, good-for-nothing type of mastering. Noticing a trend here?

Kendrick Lamar’s ‘B**ch, don’t kill my vibe’ gets an honorable mention, as you get a nice sub-bass kick with the SS01 that you can feel from two planets away...

Also try m-flo’s ‘All I want is you’.

Yep, all selections from my incredibly sophisticated and well-cultured music library.
rolleyes.gif

Indeed, I am a sinner, who’s probably gonna sin again.

In all honesty, however, it sounds pretty good with a myriad of genres, as the SS01 will almost never sound veiled (this statement means a lot coming from a clarity/transparency lover). I promised not to discuss anything related to Diana Krall or Rebecca Pidgeon, so I’ll leave it here.

So we've established that the mids and mid-highs are very clear and detailed, but how does it image? Well, unfortunately, imaging is not the SS01's strong suit. Each instrument and vocal in a track gets good isolation, but they're mostly amorphous entities that don't move around a stereo image dynamically. I can hear items panning left to right, but it's a subtle effect, and a single micro-driver like the JVC FXD series, or deep insertion single BA driver IEM will give you much more pronounced and accurate imaging. However, I'll be hard-pressed to find something in this price range that does any better. Only one earphone comes to mind (at the moment; I hope people can find more) that is superior --- the venerable RE-400 --- and it's a good deal more costly.

While I wasn’t able to listen to the FXT90, I did give the SS01 a quick and dirty A/B against the venerable VSD1 and VSD1S. While both models are technically more affordable, both are said to punch way above their price bracket. So here’s something: in my 5 minute mini-stint with them, neither the VSD1 or VSD1S came away near as good as the SS01 in terms of detail, clarity, and overall balance. Both models sound lacking in midrange and lower treble detail compared to the SS01, and while the VSD1S has a tamer, tauter bass shelf, it doesn’t allow the midrange to be more revealing. The impressive part about the bass response of the SS01 is that even though it has that typical, spongy, bouncy mid-bassy sound, it doesn’t intrude into the midrange. Unfortunately, there is a slightly hollow feel to the bass, which may take some time to get used to if you’re used to a full, dense bass response (think 1Plus2 style).

So what don’t I love about the SS01? Its looks. I admire MOE Audio’s efforts incorporating the ‘S’ shape into the packaging, but I’m sorry, the earphone just looks tacky (like my writing *zing*). The shiny, cut-rate plastic chrome might have something to do with that too. Otherwise, it looks like the FXT90. I’ve already established that. Don’t worry about build quality. Head-fiers change earphones faster than their girlfriends or wives change outfits and handbags. Unless you stomp on them, run them over with a Mack truck, or try to gnaw at the black linguini (sounds like a wack rapper’s pseudonym, doesn’t it?) pasta cables, you’ll be okay. But be prepared for driver flex upon insertion after insertion.

It has a 'flimsy' bass driver. Engrish aside, I think it might contribute to the driver flex.​

The HA-FXT90 doesn't command a large price tag these days. Amazon Japan has it on sale for just over ¥6000, which is basically just around the same price as the SS01. So while the SS01 does seem to be superior than the FXT90, what's to say that the brand-conscious consumer picks the more famous and better-looking FXT90 even at the expense of sound quality?

But, it’s a great find for the head-fi community. I think the SS01 can/will win over the hearts and minds of budget-conscious head-fiers. It simply has an agreeable sound signature, with impressive technical ability to boot. The SS01 is a pleasant surprise, at a promising price point. It fits my definition of a fun earphone, while providing great clarity, decent speed, and uncramped presentation. While I won’t be able to tell whether a singer is using a cardioid or subcardiod microphone, I will definitely be able to enjoy music nevertheless.

TL;DR: It sounds real good, but looks real ugly.

Recommendation: If you have some spare change to throw away, first donate it to your diabetes organization of choice (it's November, Diabetes Awareness Month), and second, buy the SS01. You won't be disappointed with the sound.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 72
As this review is meant to be tongue-in-cheek and tacky, so in turn shall be my response.

Quote:
  The writing is loose, and my diction is as pungent as a clove of garlic --- no mincing here. Get ready for some barbs but also a lot of waxed poetic.

I've always wanted to try l'ail cirée et barbelés. I hear it's quite the delicacy.

Shall I read on...?

When I saw the MOE Audio website, I was stunned by how incredibly similar the SS01 was, morphologically, to the well-received IEM of a couple years ago --- the JVC HA-FXT90. A quick look-see around the website revealed that MOE Audio's parent company, Aipon, was the principal ODM/OEM of all of JVC's micro-driver IEMs, from the oldie-but-a-goodie FXC series to the ridiculous FXZ evolution of the FXT90.

Even the FXCs?
Are the actual JVC releases tuned identical with the OEM versions, or are there some discrepancies?

The result is a spacious-sounding earphone that flatters C-Pop, J-Pop, K-Pop, and pop (is there an L/M/N/O/P-pop?) in general.

Laosian Pop is varied, but a bit derivative.

Malay Pop is infamous, Mando Pop is what we've been weened on.

Norwegian Pop - surprisingly lacking in the Hasselhoff-factor.

O - well you got me there.

Pinoy Pop is as potent as pickled peppers, wait, I apologize, labuyo.

Despite the disappointing coverage with regards to foreign music, I shall soldier on, if only for the promises of a Krall-free review.

Upon inserting the SS01, I noticed that it seemed to take a page from the Audio-Technica school of sound tuning: namely a mild but palpable mid-bass hump, even lower midrange, slightly recessed 1-2k region, bump in the upper midrange 3-4k, and generally elevated lower treble shelf. 

I am happy to say that the SS01 pulls off this specific coloration (let’s just call it the ‘ATH house sound’) quite well. My very first thought: “This sounds like an ATH-CKM500, but wayyyyy better!” Of course, I don’t really remember what the CKM500 sounds like, but there must be a reason why I thought that, right? Right?

Okay, nevermind. The SS01 gets the balance right, however, IMHO. In my humble opinion, it’s tuned with a moderate bass boost that doesn’t intrude into the midrange, and gives listeners great clarity in the upper registers, but won’t tear a hole in your eardrum with sharp, sibilant treble, in my humble opinion.

What it does lack, surprisingly (for a micro-driver based earphone), is treble extension. The treble starts to cliff-dive at 15k, and roll-off begins a little earlier than that. While it’s not unforgiveable (actually, it’s probably the norm) in its price range, I’d like to see that improved upon. I attribute the lack of treble extension to the reflex design of the dual dynamic drivers. The drivers cannot be inserted deeply, and nor can they be properly designed with a suitable port length.

People especially sensitive to the 3-4k region may find the SS01 slightly shouty, but it should be fine for the general population. Anyone with ample Sony, ATH, JVC experience will find the midrange to upper midrange tuning very familiar.

The way that these are being described, remind me dearly of the CKN70s, but (as you would so put with the CKM500) wayyyyyy better.
Perhaps someone needs to send in a CKN70 for comparison?

So what kind of track is the SS01 right at home with? Let’s go with the reigning princesses of K-Pop (and a popular head-fi avatar inspiration) --- So Nyeo Shi Dae, in ‘OSCAR’ (320 kbps MP3):

Yep, all selections from my incredibly sophisticated and well-cultured music library. 
rolleyes.gif

Indeed, I am a sinner, who’s probably gonna sin again.

I promised not to discuss anything related to Diana Krall or Rebecca Pidgeon, so I’ll leave it here.

No dichotomy there.

So we've established that the mids and mid-highs are very clear and detailed, but how does it image? Well, unfortunately, imaging is not the SS01's strong suit. Each instrument and vocal in a track gets good isolation, but they're mostly amorphous entities that don't move around a stereo image dynamically. I can hear items panning left to right, but it's a subtle effect, and a single micro-driver like the JVC FXD series, or deep insertion single BA driver IEM will give you much more pronounced and accurate imaging. However, I'll be hard-pressed to find something in this price range that does any better. Only one earphone comes to mind (at the moment; I hope people can find more) that is superior --- the venerable RE-400 --- and it's a good deal more costly.

They are really starting to sound like the CKN70. Sure you've not heard those before?

While I wasn’t able to listen to the FXT90, I did give the SS01 a quick and dirty A/B against the venerable VSD1 and VSD1S. While both models are technically more affordable, both are said to punch way above their price bracket. So here’s something: in my 5 minute mini-stint with them, neither the VSD1 or VSD1S came away near as good as the SS01 in terms of detail, clarity, and overall balance. Both models sound lacking in midrange and lower treble detail compared to the SS01, and while the VSD1S has a tamer, tauter bass shelf, it doesn’t allow the midrange to be more revealing. The impressive part about the bass response of the SS01 is that even though it has that typical, spongy, bouncy mid-bassy sound, it doesn’t intrude into the midrange. Unfortunately, there is a slightly hollow feel to the bass, which may take some time to get used to if you’re used to a full, dense bass response (think 1Plus2 style).

I'd imagine this would be where the rest of H-F would starting have their wallets awash with anticipation.

So what don’t I love about the SS01? Its looks. I admire MOE Audio’s efforts incorporating the ‘S’ shape into the packaging, but I’m sorry, the earphone just looks tacky (like my writing *zing*). The shiny, cut-rate plastic chrome might have something to do with that too.

Is the plastic rough on the edges, uncouth, prone to cutting? It's difficult to tell with the pictures.

What is less difficult to see is that they might be rather awkward when worn over-the-ears, unless one's helix is abnormally tall. And the flat cable doesn't seem to exit at an angle where one would be able to wrap it up the shell and over the ears. The nozzles look disproportionately large, any other tips that might fit?

TL;DRIt sounds real good, but looks real ugly.

It's as if you've literally met my cousin-in-law in person before.

Recommendation: If you have some spare change to throw away, first donate it to your diabetes organization of choice (it's November, Diabetes Awareness Month), and second, buy the SS01. You won't be disappointed with the sound.

And on that note, great review. A bit loose, the words were minced in a rather pungent fashion. No garlic as promised. But you can't complain for the price.

I'm not sure which one to go on for Taobao though. As I've mentioned on the Discovery thread, emailed them, to no avail.

Nov 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 72
  Even the FXCs? Are the actual JVC releases tuned identical with the OEM versions, or are there some discrepancies?

I think so. You can reference their company introduction PDF; no idea how JVC specifies their earphones and whether they're different from OEM.

The way that these are being described, remind me dearly of the CKN70s, but (as you would so put with the CKM500) wayyyyyy better.
Perhaps someone needs to send in a CKN70 for comparison?

Never heard the CKN70, but I can go listen some time. Chances are that the CKN70 is made by Aipon as well? I'm sending the SS01 to jgray for some FXT90 comparisons (I think).

I'd imagine this would be where the rest of H-F would starting have their wallets awash with anticipation.

I was quite surprised. I expected the VSD1 to sound better, especially with the amount of hype it gets around here (it was my first time listening to them). Instead, it was disappointing, especially against the SS01.

Is the plastic rough on the edges, uncouth, prone to cutting? It's difficult to tell with the pictures.  
What is less difficult to see is that they might be rather awkward when worn over-the-ears, unless one's helix is abnormally tall. And the flat cable doesn't seem to exit at an angle where one would be able to wrap it up the shell and over the ears. The nozzles look disproportionately large, any other tips that might fit?

No. Thank goodness. I don't envision any fit problems with it unless one has problems with the FXT90 as well. I managed to wear them over-the-ear, but I wouldn't recommend it. The sound is different for some reason. Cleaner, but less lively. I didn't try any another tips with it, but they should fit most large diameter tips.

It's as if you've literally met my cousin-in-law in person before.

The line was actually a play on a description of the men at my alma mater: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd." --- not quite the same, but I wrote rather brainlessly.

Perhaps they'll show up on FleaBay soon? I should've mentioned that these aren't really for sale outside of China and Japan? I heard from someone that they (MOE) reply really quickly on QQ...

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 72
  Never heard the CKN70, but I can go listen some time. Chances are that the CKN70 is made by Aipon as well? I'm sending the SS01 to jgray for some FXT90 comparisons (I think).

No. Thank goodness. I don't envision any fit problems with it unless one has problems with the FXT90 as well. I managed to wear them over-the-ear, but I wouldn't recommend it. The sound is different for some reason. Cleaner, but less lively. I didn't try any another tips with it, but they should fit most large diameter tips.

Perhaps they'll show up on FleaBay soon? I should've mentioned that these aren't really for sale outside of China and Japan? I heard from someone that they (MOE) reply really quickly on QQ...

They could very likely be - carbon nanotube-coated microdrivers, it's a telling sign.....?

Large diameter - 6.5mm?
They don't look like they'll go very deep over-ear, why I was concerned about the tips, good to know that the body might fit, at the very least.

I think I might just Taobao and get my relatives in Fuzhou to pick things up, like I do for all of my clothes shopping. If I'm doing things, might as well do them impatiently and ahead of the rest of the pack.
It is QQ, seems like the other person was right, I sent it @gg.com (how the heck did it even send...o.o).

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #6 of 72
  They could very likely be - carbon nanotube-coated microdrivers, it's a telling sign.....?

Large diameter - 6.5mm?
They don't look like they'll go very deep over-ear, why I was concerned about the tips, good to know that the body might fit, at the very least.

I think I might just Taobao and get my relatives in Fuzhou to pick things up, like I do for all of my clothes shopping. If I'm doing things, might as well do them impatiently and ahead of the rest of the pack.
It is QQ, seems like the other person was right, I sent it @gg.com (how the heck did it even send...o.o).

Shallow fit is correct. I'm not familiar with fit problems people have with the FXT90, but I've never had a problem with it, and basically fit problems are relatively interchangeable between the two.

LOL... GG...

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 72
Awesome! Mine are being "taobao'ed" to me now. Shame no one on ebay or amazon is selling them yet.

There have been quite a few ~$60 finds lately. I have a VSD1LE on the way too which I can compare. I just have a feeling the Moe won't really gain acceptance until it is easier for people outside of China to purchase.

Nov 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 72
  Awesome! Mine are being "taobao'ed" to me now. Shame no one on ebay or amazon is selling them yet.

There have been quite a few ~$60 finds lately. I have a VSD1LE on the way too which I can compare. I just have a feeling the Moe won't really gain acceptance until it is easier for people outside of China to purchase.

any ways to purchase stuff from taobao and get them shipped internationally? Like a forwarding service?

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 72

any ways to purchase stuff from taobao and get them shipped internationally? Like a forwarding service?

I use Mistertao.com and Ugomark.com

Their search engine mirrors and searches all of Taobao. They buy the product for you in China, ship it to you, and take a small commission fee for doing so. Mistertao is nice, because they take pictures of your item being packed before they ship.

Places like aliexpress.com will eventually have it, which would be easier to purchase from. There is one there now, but overpriced at $119
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MON-SS01-earphones-IEM-In-ear-monitor-lineup-of-2way-earphone-HA-FXZ200/1390985013.html

I've gotten my items from all those sites with no issues. You just have to wait 3-4 weeks unless you want to pay more for shipping.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 72

well, you can use a site like lugbuy or mistertao. Purchase on lugbuy is in one step and easier but for some reason it's pricier there and comes down to $101 something with the shipping (not EMS but Standard China Post) http://www.lugbuy.com/double-moving-coil-earphone-earphone-earplug-earphone-small-adorable-ss01-extraterrestrial-technology-have-a-fever-the-earphone-bao-shunfeng-p_22470035533.html. Mistertao also is an option although it's a bit more tedious to buy stuff http://www.mistertao.com/beta/pages/item/22470035533.html - you can check the shipping fee calculator to get a better estimate how much it will cost you but with all the fees and commissions and if you use standard China Post or better Singapore Post it should be circa $85.
Otherwise, you can wait for the ebay sellers to pick it up but I think that's how much it will cost - probably around 80-85 bucks or slightly more.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 72
Chiming in with FXT90 fitting, wearing it over ears is definitely possible, but since the angle of the stems are made with wearing it cable down normally, the shallow finicky fitting will be even more so. And it does change the sound a bit; although I have to relisten to both positions again attentively to say what changed.

The fitting is one of those "can't get this to work for [deity] knows how long, but once got it it's as natural as breathing" kind of deal, and depending on your ears, it could be instantly the moment you put it in, or unfortunately not at all.

One thing about the plastic on my FXT90; maybe I'm just unlucky since no one else in the FXT90 thread didn't have this problem (that or didn't say it), but mine did have a bit of rough plastic edge on one of the IEM. Easily shaved off, but it did managed to irritate my outer ear canal before realising what it is.

It will be interesting to write about when tomscy's SS01 arrive and compare. In the meantime, it's about time I get intimate with my FXT90 again; it's been too long I feel, superceded by my MA350 on the virtue of fitting alone.

While the MA350 and the FXT90 have different sound signatures and the former is more agreeable with modern songs, definitely the FXT90 is just a bit better in certain aspects. Maybe go read my reviews on both of them in my blog. :D :p :wink: (it's in my signature)

Or read the ones on Head-Fi, that's okay too I guess...

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 72
  I use Mistertao.com and Ugomark.com

Their search engine mirrors and searches all of Taobao. They buy the product for you in China, ship it to you, and take a small commission fee for doing so. Mistertao is nice, because they take pictures of your item being packed before they ship.

Places like aliexpress.com will eventually have it, which would be easier to purchase from. There is one there now, but overpriced at $119
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MON-SS01-earphones-IEM-In-ear-monitor-lineup-of-2way-earphone-HA-FXZ200/1390985013.html

I've gotten my items from all those sites with no issues. You just have to wait 3-4 weeks unless you want to pay more for shipping.

well, you can use a site like lugbuy or mistertao. Purchase on lugbuy is in one step and easier but for some reason it's pricier there and comes down to $101 something with the shipping (not EMS but Standard China Post) http://www.lugbuy.com/double-moving-coil-earphone-earphone-earplug-earphone-small-adorable-ss01-extraterrestrial-technology-have-a-fever-the-earphone-bao-shunfeng-p_22470035533.html. Mistertao also is an option although it's a bit more tedious to buy stuff http://www.mistertao.com/beta/pages/item/22470035533.html - you can check the shipping fee calculator to get a better estimate how much it will cost you but with all the fees and commissions and if you use standard China Post or better Singapore Post it should be circa $85.
Otherwise, you can wait for the ebay sellers to pick it up but I think that's how much it will cost - probably around 80-85 bucks or slightly more.

Awesome thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 72
Thanks! Love your music choice as usual :D

In regard to the CK100 PRO, I mentioned about them in the other thread, that pretty much all the DAPs and sources I've tried with them resulted in nasty sibilance, which made the vocal sound incredibly sharp and unpleasant. The only exception in my experience is the DACport (10 ohm output impedance), which make the CK100 PRO's sound has no sibilance bite and not overly bright, much more balance, and sure they do sound great!

The Z graph from Sonove might explain the problem: http://sonove.angry.jp/sudio_technica_ath_ck100pro.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back