Mini-Review: Beyerdynamic T70
Dec 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #16 of 27
id be shocked if they didn't.
but i don't know

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 27
I've read a lot of posts on here, but this is my first time posting. I just got the T70p and experienced exactly the same disappointing lack of bass as the original poster did. I own a pair of DT 770 Pros (80 Ohm) as comparisons. The T70p's only require about half the power to drive to the same volume level as the 770s, but the sound is really disappoint. I am not a bass head at all, but even for me the lack of bass was too much. In addition, to get a sufficient bass level required driving it loud enough to get an ear blast from the treble at the high end. Very disappointing, especially for the price. These had everything I was looking for in terms of specs, (less head pressure, lighter, more efficient, shorter cable, and theoretically better sound) but I am going to start looking for another pair of DT 770s or something similar and return the T70ps.

Dec 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #22 of 27
I won't haunt any more t70 threads after this. Just want to present my experience as a noob with an ear. I got them for $450, and while I bet there are better cans out there a tthis price, I am increasingly happy with the purchase. 

As I continue to A/B these t70's with my Grado sr80's, some bass issues are  becoming more clear. And I know there's controversy about "burn in" and I can only say that after 2 weeks, the t70 is getting better and the Grado's seem to leave out so much of the music as it pushes treble in your face so nicely. It really does seem to present more detail the more play they get.

I think the cans you are coming FROM make a big difference in how you've been conditioned  to listen. At first all I heard was the "missing treble" in the t70 and it felt very dull. II was very disappointed.But reallly I just needed to retrain my brain to recognize all the other great stuff the t70 was presenting. I bet anyone coming from a bass-strong can will have a similiar gripe.

I am not going to claim the bass is powerful. It is (as others have describe) very natural sounding and seems to fit in well but doesn't stand out unless the source material is designed that way. And even then, the t70 seems to almost equalize everything so nothing really stands out except vocals.  It does not let the high end (eg, cymbals) shimmer and shine the way the Grado's do. But Grado's are known for that. The separation and soundstage have completely changed how I experience and enjoy a lot of my music, however.

But there is a separate issue that others have also observed. Where the SR80's provide a punchy thump (through the Leckerton amp), the t70 will usually find a tone. And a tone is not "punchy." So point 1) it seems like a lot of cans that people like push forward thumpy, thuddy bass. The listening reports I read here often seem to regard a "powerful" bass that may not represent tonal bass accurately within a composition as a whole. Even some bass beats that seem intended to provide a punch are rendered  by the t70  more as deep tones with more complex characteristics than most speakers I've heard can provide. I like that, but I can see how you would miss the Pow Pow! in a song that you've been conditioned to believe is "supposed" to have that. Because I'm coming from a lower end can, I only respect the much better bass than i heard before.

Point 2) The quality of the production and music file itself are a big deal with this headphone. There are times when I can tell 2 different songs on the same album were produced using different approaches. So on one song I'm hearing a bass drum with very tonal characteristics, clear and beautiful but very little punch. And on another song I'm hearing (from what should be the same drum kit?) the bass drum sounding like a recessed thump with little else to it. The Grado presents both as a punchy thump, though missing out on the sub bass and tone entirely. The t70 seems much more dependent on the source material/production approach/compression and quality etc. 

When you consider what I'm saying, you realize how much clarity and accuracy there is in the t70. I have a decent Genesis sound system at home, and have heard many headphones/buds/iems. And none of them present as much detail as these cans. (Again, except on the high end.)

So, in short, the Grado continues to be a more "fun" sound but without the clarity, soundstage, or bass that the t70 presents. The exception being that the Grado obviously pushes the high end in your face to beautiful effect while the t70 recesses cymbals and guitar solos ccan sound stale compared with the renowned Grado advantage in that area.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
So, in short, the Grado continues to be a more "fun" sound but without the clarity, soundstage, or bass that the t70 presents. The exception being that the Grado obviously pushes the high end in your face to beautiful effect while the t70 recesses cymbals and guitar solos ccan sound stale compared with the renowned Grado advantage in that area.

The irony here being that you're comparing a $100 set of headphones to a $450 set. I wonder how these new Beyers would stack up against the $200 SR225, $300 SR325i or (for fun) the $600 PS500. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #25 of 27
"Irony" is a polite word for it.  It makes me begin to wonder what the poster had in mind when he describes (so generously) the Grado upper-frequency energy.  I love to have that clear, "hi-fi" treble from time to time but personally have never been smitten by Grado's house sound.

And yet, I believe he gives a basis by which to understand and appreciate the t70s which the OP had not (to a sufficient degree).  These beyers appear like they are meant to offer one of those "fast and clear" listening experiences, where enjoyment comes from immersion in the "presence" region of the frequency spectrum.  Even if we appreciate them this way, they are still not the pair I have been looking for - a closed set of euphonic, melodic, cans with rich vocal delivery but also superior extension at both ends.  The beyers, these comments and mini-reviews seem to suggest, are for a lucid, wide-awake feel and delivery.

I'd still like to try them, of course, but I'll be keeping my dollars for something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlasto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The irony here being that you're comparing a $100 set of headphones to a $450 set.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 27
I own the T-70 for a few weeks now. The clarity & tremble are very satisfying. Bass is vibrating but no african drumming if you would like that. I ordered a Fiio E17 to improve the driving force. I use it on a Android 10.1 Thrive and that works ok for me. Comfort ... a bit of a let down. I can stand the cans for 1 max 1.5 hrs then my head start to hurt. It would have been better to use a headband leatherette (like audeze has them). Isolation ... big minus for me. I can hear my children & wife in the background. When you listen to house , drum base , ok but more silenced parts in jazz or classic are ruined by background noise. Hope this improves with the amp & dac combi. Even if I press them against my ears it doesn't help. I read about some gel based isolation and I will order them. All together these are worth te 380 euro a payed for them. One more tip : Roland (Van Campenhout) blues sound amazing with these headphones. I have no commercial intentions with this suggestion :)) only love 4the music.

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 27
I've done alot of listening with The Black Keys on these cans, and I can second that bluesy type music is amazing on them.
beyersmile.png

Quote:
I own the T-70 for a few weeks now. The clarity & tremble are very satisfying. Bass is vibrating but no african drumming if you would like that. I ordered a Fiio E17 to improve the driving force. I use it on a Android 10.1 Thrive and that works ok for me. Comfort ... a bit of a let down. I can stand the cans for 1 max 1.5 hrs then my head start to hurt. It would have been better to use a headband leatherette (like audeze has them). Isolation ... big minus for me. I can hear my children & wife in the background. When you listen to house , drum base , ok but more silenced parts in jazz or classic are ruined by background noise. Hope this improves with the amp & dac combi. Even if I press them against my ears it doesn't help. I read about some gel based isolation and I will order them. All together these are worth te 380 euro a payed for them. One more tip : Roland (Van Campenhout) blues sound amazing with these headphones. I have no commercial intentions with this suggestion :)) only love 4the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back