Mini Meet - Planning and Discussions
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Barra

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys, the Mini-Meet has outgrown its PM thread capacity. Felt it was time to move to a thread to open the discussions to all participants. I purposely left the location out of the title to keep our anonymity and left it dateless so we can continue to use it. It feels like we are losing some great info to the PM with the continual changing that would be fun to keep recorded in a thread.

The consensus so far is to have our next 2015 meet in September and on the 12th which is a Saturday. Feel free to discuss.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 25
Secret meet, eh? Really?!? So now listening to headphones is exclusive?

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 25
It's a secret meet because it is SECRET!!!. There are secret meets fore various reasons. And I have never been to a secret meet without a valid reason it was secret. For example: How many people do I want at my house? We are getting a group to audition gear for a specific reason and there are peeps with specific skills that are requested. Sometimes Gen Pop may not be the best option. We have meets every 3 months for that. Just understand a secret meet has usually a specific reason it is secret. My 2 cents.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 25
OK, a week from today - Saturday September 12 it is. Shall we say TBD?

I'll show up at TBD to start setting up tables etc. I'll order pizza again (if that's OK with everyone) and you guys bring lots of cool gear and the liquid refreshments!

UPDATE: There are some potential things in the works that might lead to us starting earlier.

- Eric

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 25
  It's a secret meet because it is SECRET!!!. There are secret meets fore various reasons. And I have never been to a secret meet without a valid reason it was secret. For example: How many people do I want at my house? We are getting a group to audition gear for a specific reason and there are peeps with specific skills that are requested. Sometimes Gen Pop may not be the best option. We have meets every 3 months for that. Just understand a secret meet has usually a specific reason it is secret. My 2 cents.

Sure there is nothing wrong with a mini-meet. In fact, I've done them with friends I've made at larger meets. However, I just think it's a tad odd to advertise "SECRET MEET" on a forum. The lack of discreetness comes off as elitist and just plain weird. Ever hear of getting ones contact info in the PM that was mentioned?

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 25
Not only did we outgrow the PM's ability to handle our group, but the facilities we meet at are limited in capacity, so it simply can't be a general, open to everyone type of meet.

That's what the quarterly main meets are for.

As for the impression of elitist and weird, well, we are audiophools after all, so what do you expect? :atsmile:

But fortuneately we don't let ourselves fall into that trap.
Much… :wink_face:

JJ :atsmile:
ps I suspect there are plans a foot to issue Dr Science membership cards along with a secret decoder ring, just so we can validate ourselves… hahahahahahahaha

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 25
Yeah Mullet it was a rookie move when it was not even his meet to plan!

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 25
There's also beer involved so this is actually more like hanging out with limited space... mini - meet yes. Why a secret? Because it's juicy that way. Also the host is kind enough to let us take over but a location on a map isn't appreciated as this is a place of business on a completely different field, just happens the boss man is really into phones like us :)

Seriously we can fit 8-10 people and it gets kinda crammed. We need space to chill and relax. Not to mention decibel levels jump when you have 6 to 8 to 10 people. 6 people, excellent listening. 8 people still very good. 10 people it's fair to good until the beer kicks in..

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 25
Hi guys, thanks for including me. I can bring a Yggy and/or an Ayre QB-9 DSD and a REGEN if anyone is interested in that. Unfortunately I don't have a way to keep Yggy powered up for the ride to the meet,but I'll bring it if folks want me to. Will also bring a laptop with the drivers on it for each DAC. I don't have a headphone amp though...currently doing speakers.

So let me know what I should bring equipment wise and I'll also grab adult beverages.

Chris

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 25
Hi guys, thanks for including me. I can bring a Yggy and/or an Ayre QB-9 DSD and a REGEN if anyone is interested in that. Unfortunately I don't have a way to keep Yggy powered up for the ride to the meet,but I'll bring it if folks want me to. Will also bring a laptop with the drivers on it for each DAC. I don't have a headphone amp though...currently doing speakers.

So let me know what I should bring equipment wise and I'll also grab adult beverages.

Chris

We would definitely want you to bring the YGG and everything else. JJ will probably be bringing his ROC - it would be nice to hear those paired again. You game?

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 25
No comment...

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 25
It's like this. If you are in the pm list you know you are going. If you get a phone call you know you going. If not. Maybe next time. There is not close to enough room for a meet for gen pop. And these meets are not for noob's we get pretty technical at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back