Mini Meet at Doug's
Jan 25, 2010 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nikongod

DIY-ku
Hello Head-Fi

I built a little passive pre with a splitter for Doug and to commemorate the occasion of its completion we had a little Mini Meet rather than shipping it.

The meet was great, and I was quite impressed by the Stax Omegas, which I had only ever heard briefly at full size meets in the past.

The omega was especially nice, and Im happy to have gotten to listen to it in a quite room with no rush. Playing the "head-fi At neals" demo CD was quite the treat. The Omega/WES effortless sailed through the wide variety of music present. Quite a few genres of music are represented but what I found most impressive was the quality of the bass on the song "Amy" by Mark Ronson (track 5) for such a mellow vocal centric song (heh, except for a few bars of guitar with piano its just vocals... and the deeep drum) it has some WICKED bass, both for depth and texture. The Omega/WES had no problem playing this deep note with palpable texture exceptionally well. Probably better than anything I have ever heard save for maybe the same amp with the O2.

I thought the WES sounded GREAT with the various headphones I brought to play with it (Stax Gama pro, Stax SR003) and of course the Omega. It had a very nice sound to be sure. Neither predisposed to be edgy and harsh, nor smooth and dull either. It showed both of these qualities when the music called for it, but really just got out of the way and let the music through. Im quite happy with what the Woo's have done here.

I spent some time with the HD800 and the HD650 on my amp and am a little happier with the HD800 this time than the last I had some quiet time with them. The last set of HD800 I got a good listen to had roughly 10 hours out of the box, and tended to put the sound a few rows further from you than it was. These sounded much truer to source, and I am very happy for that.

The HD650 on the other hand blew me away. It did not blow me away with any fancy tricks, but rather in its even handed presentation. The last time I had heard an HD650 my opinion was anything but positive, so Im quite happy with how these sounded. Im not sure if its the amp or the headphones, but they did sound great.

A few photos, because thats mostly why I read these threads.

aadsc_0003.jpg

Doug's amp, the WES

aadsc_0007.jpg

Stax Omega headphones! win!

aadsc_0001.jpg

My amp, the Extremely Extreme Extreme^Extreme AKA "The Orange Crush"

aadsc_0012.jpg

HD800

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 9
I'll get to writing up some impressions tomorrow - bed time for now

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We needed that WES at the micro meet to go up against Kerry's BH!

Whatever happened to our plan for a NJ 'stat mini-meet?

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Very nice Ari. Thanks for the pics and impressions!

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Very nice!
Thanks for sharing pictures and impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Whatever happened to our plan for a NJ 'stat mini-meet?

We had to do it when MD1032 (John) was back from school, and you couldn't make it then, so the mini-meet became the micro-meet! Our loss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back