Mini MD2000 review
Feb 27, 2009 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Audiowood

Headphoneus Supremus
I am so impress with the MD2000 that I feel I need to share this with Denon D2000 owner.

I am no audiophile, just someone who likes fine quality sound. Some of those terms use to describe sound is really beyond my head (attack, flat, creamy sound etc..). So this mini review is really gonna be layman terms.

Original Denon D2000
The Denon D2000 sound a lot like my KEF 2005.2 speaker woofer combo. I am not saying it sound exactly the same but it resembles more of a satellite speaker/woofer combo. However ever since I change to B&W 683 (using existing woofer) I realize the day and night differences. I also start to realize the lacking in the Denon D2000. The Bass is powerful but it lack detail, the mid is a little “soft” (maybe Bose type?). I decided to sell the Denon D2000 and look for a higher end headphone that can compete or resemble that of my B&W speaker. But due to economy crisis, it’s a little sinful to throw money like that now. This is when I did some research and get to know someone that can “repair the D2000”. I decided to give it a try.

“After Repair”
I sent my headphone to Lawton audio for $151. I told myself $151 can’t be wrong if he can fixed it as claim my many. It took around 10 days (that was quick). When it arrives, I am totally amazed by the workmanship. He sews the extra pad very professional. When I tested the sound, I was not so impress at first but I know the phones right off from the box is cold and so it might affect the sound. After 1 day of “warming it up” the sound is something I never heard before. The Bass is no longer boomy yet it still maintain the kind of power that I like in the stock. It has a lot more tone now; I can hear very clearly every tone of the bass guitar in Diana’s Krall CD. The mid is what impress me most. It’s no longer the soft wimpy type, the vocal is louder, clearer and in the same token never too harsh. It sound closer to the my B&W 683 (the mid is the reason I bought these speaker). The high becomes higher. There is a good and bad to that high as I notice more sss.. zzz.. sound in the background (sorry dun know the terms for that). I believe that is due to the cheap stock cable. There are some reported to have no hiss background after changing the cable. Too bad I am too cheap to change the cable now.

Conclusion
For $151, you can’t go wrong with Lawton Audio, He just turn my $250 headphone to a $1,000 phone. Very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back