Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS
Oct 18, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #46 of 1,063
Oct 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #47 of 1,063

Quote:

[size=medium]Just ordered the Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS. [/size]

[size=medium]Any suggestions for a better powersupply?[/size]

[size=medium]Someone mentioned Teralink X2 and its power-supply somewhere. Don't know if the cable fits though...[/size]

[size=medium]Teralink-X2/X1 Linear Low noise Power Supply (black)[/size]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teralink-X2-X1-Linear-Low-noise-Power-Supply-black-/250703201217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f1343c1#ht_1301wt_903

That's an 8volt unit...I already checked.  I posted a nice little rechargeable 12volt battery pack with charger included a few posts back.  One of these would work...but I don't see the point of paying that much for a PSU that isn't battery operated and I think it is an overkill unit.  12 volt is necessary to make sure the miltibit processors receive their full 8volts after regulation.  Congratulations...if you felt that the T1 is just a tad fatigueing...this DAC will go a long way to alleviating the fatigue.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #48 of 1,063

Quote:
I've got the single chip version, and for the LOVE OF GOD DON'T BUY IT.  Worst DAC I've ever freakin heard.  If this DAC's sound quality could be compared to quality of handwriting, then the DAC would just be freakin illiterate. (interesting what metaphors I come up with when vulgarity isn't allowed... =])

Quote:
Pink Floyd thought it sounded quite nice after cap rolling.

Pardon my incompetence: What is Cap Rolling?

Oct 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #49 of 1,063
A musician friend of mine, who also has a recording studio, uses the  same single chip version, and prefers to listen to music through it than his studio gear. He still uses his professional dacs as work tools, but does not enjoy the sound as he finds the 'neutral detailed' sound, artificial.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #50 of 1,063

Quote:

Pardon my incompetence: What is Cap Rolling?

Modifying the board by soldering more exquisite capacitors.  I have never done anything like this yet, but hope to get in to it one day...

Quote:
A musician friend of mine, who also has a recording studio, uses the  same single chip version, and prefers to listen to music through it than his studio gear. He still uses his professional dacs as work tools, but does not enjoy the sound as he finds the 'neutral detailed' sound, artificial.

I might just place an order for the single chip version...its like what 40 bucks!!!  I am putting my Dacmagic on the market as well as other components and hope to pick up a Chameleon very soon.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #53 of 1,063
Oct 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #54 of 1,063
I doubt paying that much for a power supply is going to do much at all, just get a DC PSU that works properly and you should be ok.  Personally I don't like battery packs because they die over time and offer no benefits over converting AC--->DC on demand.

Unless it has multiple outputs~ and might be the source of power for a few devices in which case I wouldn't mind paying up to $200 for even a  computer power supply for reliability.

Then again, these kinds of power supplys can really vary in price~

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #55 of 1,063
Agreed, you will get a much bigger improvement, in terms of dynamics, bass slam, control and depth, by adding electrolytic bypass caps, say 47uf, to the legs of those 4 yellow caps on the TDA1543's.

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #56 of 1,063

Quote:

That makes absolutely sense: I haven't found any 'audiophile musician' yet.
They know that music through a home equipment will never sound like a live event and they don't need an ultra-technological dac to hear details in music.
I used to listen to some classical music with a friend (cello player) through a Sonos S5 player, and I was impressed how he could easily spot nuances in the performance...his ears are simply better trained than mine and don't need any 32 bit dac :-D

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #57 of 1,063

Quote:
Here's a 12V power supply. Another price league, though... http://www.kingrex.co.uk/power_supply.html

And another one.. cheaper.. http://www.itemaudio.co.uk/item_power_supply.html

@SP Wild 

Are you usig this battery pack yourself? 
http://cgi.ebay.com/12V-9800mAH-Portable-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-/170483711792?pt=US_Batteries&hash=item27b19eff30
Is it something you can have plugged in constantly, or do you have to plug it in and out...

There are numerous power supplies on the market that will work - so long as they pump out at least 1.5 amp at 12 volts DC.  My one came with one rated at that much - I tried a 2 amp wallwart I had lying around and it sounded worse than the supplied one - a definite downgrade making the sound very course and less dynamic...even though it was rated at a higher 2 amps.  I believe if you wan to get an exotic PSU to stick with a linear regulated supply and I tend to stay away from SMPS (switch mode power supply).  I must add, that I would be quite happy to use the one provided with the unit...although experimenting is advised as not all wallwarts are the same.

I connected my one to a car battery to see what happened - I certainly noticed improvements in refinement, noise floor, separation and details.  I do not have the battery pack I posted up...but if I were to purchase a better supply, battery power is always excellent and hard to better - 9800 milliamp hour is 9.8 amp hour, this means if a device draws 9 amps it would last 1 hour...halve the amperage, double the time.  The Red Wine products, Kingrex, Bel Canto are all offering battery powered solutions to their products - my entire audio chain is powered by two gigantic car batteries in parrallel.

Quote:
That makes absolutely sense: I haven't found any 'audiophile musician' yet.
They know that music through a home equipment will never sound like a live event and they don't need an ultra-technological dac to hear details in music.
I used to listen to some classical music with a friend (cello player) through a Sonos S5 player, and I was impressed how he could easily spot nuances in the performance...his ears are simply better trained than mine and don't need any 32 bit dac :-D

My music teacher was always able to pick out minute notes and instruments out of a 5 dollar boombox and reconstruct the music on paper....She heard instruments and notes that I never even knew were there on such a primitive device using cassette tapes as a source.

Oct 21, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #58 of 1,063
musician play their musics by heart... when they listen the music, their "audio nirvana" is in their heart too...

audiophiles (see the word "phile" here...) don't really listen to the music.. they listen the "sound" from their audio system, and analyze it whether it is good or not... bring them to nirvana or bring them to hell... and that's all with brain... so, something doesn't really match with the way music created...

that's why in the last few years, I'm tired of being audiophile and declare my self as a music lover.. I'm biased then; I could not say some equipment good or bad easily any longer (unless it is really bad of course).. I love the music more than the equipment that play it..., rather than analyzing audio chain with only limited materials, this way I can expand my view to the so much wide beautiful musics around the world... (OK, I lie a bit..
smily_headphones1.gif
... I stil enjoy quality audio reproduction...). Different audio system only produce different kind of sound... there's always good and bad on each of them...

and, ooh.. to make it relates to this NOS topic again... aside from the technical issues on the NOS DAC, to me, there's something about "emotion" that is brought by NOS DAC... something that cannot be easily re-created on few Delta-Sigma design that I heard...

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #59 of 1,063
I have been tinkering with the TDA1543 for about a week now, running 8 of them off the I2S output from my Teralink, I find there is a distinct benefit from using 8 devices rather than 4, I would suggest that for the DIR9001 based board (Muse Audio) that ya'll are using a possible mod would be to tack an additional 4 chips on top of the existing ones, this would involve removing the metal bracket sitting on top of them, I am uncertain if this acts as a heat sink, the devices do get a bit warm when running at 8V, I also second the notion of using more decoupling, adding a 47uF electrolytic or perhaps a tantalum (I have only tried with electrolytic) to the existing 100nF capacitors will definitely add improvement.

As for power supplies, I fail to see the logic in expending 150% or even 50% of the cost of the device on another power supply, if the supplied wallwart is SMPS then by all means swapping it for one that is linear regulated makes a lot of sense, running off batteries is not a bad idea but an expensive one, 

If your source is a computer and you are using the coaxial input, attaching a pulse transformer which I note the muse board lacks would also be a good idea as even the best power supply will not save you from noise caused by having common ground with a computer.

In addition to the above I am happy to report that I find the circuit very pleasant to listen to (bearing in mind that my circuit is slightly different to the muse audio board in the sense that my receiver is a Tenor chip and my output coupling capacitors are 2.2uF polypropylene devices. Also my power supply is a lab bench supply and I am using twice as many DAC chips.) it certainly has a very, analogue I guess is the best word to describe it, sound to it. Having not yet properly listened to the TDA1541 I cannot say how it compares to that but it is certainly a comparison I look forward to making once I get a dual TDA1541 board and a configurable DIR9001 board constructed (the 1541 does not take I2S input but the DIR9001 can supply various types of data out)

So long for now.

Jan

Oh and I agree, it's easy to enjoy electronics, but it is easier to love music
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #60 of 1,063
Nice work snip. I would just like to add that it would be preferable, if you do piggyback four more TDA1543 to use half the value of the existing IV resistors, or you will get distortion and clipping. Some sort of cooling would also be required. 

In effect an 8 chip version of the Muse is a Valab dac. For curiosity, I once removed 8 of the chips from the Chameleon (16 chips) and then put them back one at a time noting the change in SQ as I went.
With just 8 chips the Chameleon sounded very similar to the Valab with its native 8 chips, no surprise there.
As I put the chips back into the Chameleon the soundstage grew a little each time in depth and most notably in width.
As I went on the soundstage continued to grow, and the lower mids and highs grew clearer and more detailed. The last two chips from 14 to 16 made the most significant jump. 

The impression was moving from a Chamber experience to full concert hall. I cant really say I prefer one to the other, the Valab Chamber soundstage lends an intimate expression, works well with small venue recordings, kinda like sitting at the table in a jazz club feeling.  Whilst the full on Chameleon concert hall width soundstage, is definitely the thing for getting lost in, as one of the crowd, in large orchestral, and open air live rock recordings.

I also discovered that these sort of  dacs really shine with higher end gear, as in that the delicate subtleties and nuances in their musical portrayal can be lost in lesser downstream gear. Its ironic that the simple nature of the single ended, no feedback, no op amp design and correspondingly low price invites us to bracket them in a certain category; so that they should be partnered with similar price components. In fact they work even better with higher end gear.

This is also demonstrated with using quality components. I use Blackgate FK and Teflon caps for decoupling and coupling. Cramming highly resolving caps like Blackgates into lower end electronics, is no panacea. More often then not it often leads to a less pleasing even unpleasant sound as they will reveal the deficiencies of the rest of the design. I found the opposite to be true with the Chameleon, if I used Wima caps as decoupling it produces a warm, coloured, hifi sound; pleasing but masked, soulless if you like. Better quality caps showed a  cleaner window to the recording and a closer connection with the synergy of the performers.

As a result of this, when spinning disks or Foobaring Flacs, my focus is not drawn to the differences between the quality of recordings, (in terms of recording technique) as much as it is to the differences between the various performances of the same piece of music, Same, conductor same orchestra vast difference in the mood. So a 1950's mono recording, in terms of performance, can blow away a modern hi res recording whilst SQ difference becomes an irrelevancy. So when the gang comes around, we don't sit up all night comparing recording techniques or what gear is plugged into the wall socket, we argue instead over what is the best performance of the same piece of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back