Mini case for IEMs
Sep 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

djreebokpump

New Head-Fier
The first pair of aftermarket earphones I bought as a youngster (MDR-EX71SL) came with a nice little case in which to house just the buds.

I am awaiting my third pair of Shures, none of which has ever come with a case I've wanted to use.

Does anyone know of anyone making something similarly as neat as the Sony's that I can use to protect my IEMs without having to reel them up ceremoniously, every single time I take them off...? I've already snapped two SE535s and having taken another step up the ladder, do not want to suffer a similar heartbreak.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 20
I use this compact hardcase by Brainwavz :http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/earphone-case
I've had it for 5 years and it has held up beautifully. Extremely sturdy, good zipper, netted pouch inside.

There a wider variant of the same

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 20
I use this compact hardcase by Brainwavz :http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/earphone-case
I've had it for 5 years and it has held up beautifully. Extremely sturdy, good zipper, netted pouch inside.

Thanks, but that's just like the Shure one!

The Sony one allowed me to leave my 'phones plugged into source, but gave just an extra bit of protection against crushing. The two earpieces would sit inside the thing, face to face.

I'm thinking it might have to be a 3D print job.

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 20

Thanks, but that's just like the Shure one!

The Sony one allowed me to leave my 'phones plugged into source, but gave just an extra bit of protection against crushing. The two earpieces would sit inside the thing, face to face.

I'm thinking it might have to be a 3D print job.

I had to watch a video to understand how this worked. The scale in that image is completely off
tongue.gif

A custom 3D printed case would be a snug fit and prevent rattling. Or...... you could......

Get a pill box like the one below. Cut it such that you're left with two compartments attached to each other (cut along red double line). Cut two holes at the bottom including the top edge (red circles). Slip in earphones, snap close case and voila
biggrin.gif

Pro-tip: Line inside of case with soft foam to prevent rattling.

(Patent pending) (Pills not included)

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 20
Closer - but it's a bit makeshift. I was after function-defining form, or as close to it as possible.

It's completely makeshift. Not just 'a bit'
tongue.gif

I haven't come across any case like the Sony one. If you do find something please come back and post in this thread.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 20

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 20
kikkerland plaid travel case:

best case I've ever found.  $6, fits my customs, very small, very hard, and doesn't collapse a bit when put under pressure like those zipper cases always do... always made me nervous with $1000 iems inside.  My go to before this was a prescription pill bottle which is also an excellent extremely durable and free choice. 

this case is basically a mini glasses case.  very strong. i bet i could run it over with a car, though i won't try.  :wink:

it seems to be discontinued, but i found it in a boutique store that carries weird things..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back